Are windows load bearing?

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
Hi there caravaners from New Zealand. I am in the process of fitting out a vintage NZ caravan (1972 Anglo Ace) for use as a food business. I am looking at removing the front window so that it can be used as a service window. My question is generally are the large front and rear windows on caravans from this era load bearing or are the columns on each side sufficient to support the roof?

Attachments

• 20200926_113712.jpg
    20200926_113712.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 16

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Presumably the windows open?
If so, then they should not be load bearing but the frame will act as brace between the side rails.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As Damian says if the window opens then it will not be load bearing but if it is fixed you cannot be sure.
If this is what you are serving through will the tow bar make serving difficult? Most caravans converted to catering use I have seen use a side window or the rear.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravan walls of this era were still using separate sheets for inner and outer surfaces kept apart by a light wood frame. They were sufficient for supporting the roof. I would not assume the wall and its framing would safely support a serving hatch

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
Thanks all. The window is fixed, but I was talking to a friend who is a vintage car mechanic and he thought that if they were just held by the rubber then they would not be load bearing. I'll let you know how I get on.

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
As Damian says if the window opens then it will not be load bearing but if it is fixed you cannot be sure.
If this is what you are serving through will the tow bar make serving difficult? Most caravans converted to catering use I have seen use a side window or the rear.
Hello yeah I'm planning to take out the rear window but have included a picture of the front one because I couldn't get round behind it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts