Are you glad you holiday in a caravan?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We agree a short trip is often great. Just done a few days only 50 miles away and had a great time looking out to see walking a bit and using local pub. TV reception was rubbish though.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Apart from the obvious benefit of independence in a caravan (you can have breakfast any time and in your pyjamas) we value the fact that one can rely on always having the same standard of accommodation - its cleanliness and the quality of the beds - regardless of where you are.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The only annoying thing when we are away is that our two dogs, Rex and Harry, who are willing to lay in until 9 am, want to get up at 7 am , mind you I dont mind unless its stair rods outside, then kettle on and back to bed for a cuddle. :p

20151128-163132-zpskmojee9n-edit-1481836522624-zpsulezzje9.jpg

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
It’s nothing new. Holiday companies going bust isn’t new. Remember Clarksons and their airline back in the early 1970s. Laker too. In the overall scheme of things TC going bust isn’t a big issue apart from the effect on jobs both here and abroad. But it will create a vacuum that others will fill.
We’ve taken many package and self booked trips without any hassle.

Whilst we both love being away in the caravan I get frustrated at its lack of use not through any problems with ourselves. Although doubtless they will arrive one day. It’s the hassle of owning an under used asset (car and van) which have significant standing charges, deprecation and random costs. My wife favours a seasonal pitch next year within 50 miles of home. We could use it jointly or independently and family too. I am still undecided on that one as it sounds the death knell to touring, and I favour doing what we did in 2014; selling the whole outfit. We then had four trips to India and areas around plus Mediterranean and U.K. holidays too.

Watch this space. :)

Other Clive, I accept that under-use of an asset can be very frustrating, and is for some, unavoidable due to work, health etc. Anne and I suffer from the latter ourselves, but we don't have the "significant" standing charges, as we use classic (or "old", depending on your viewpoint!) kit. Our caravan cost £2,500 twenty two years ago, and is now 42 years old, and has an agreed value of £8,000 today. Our current towcar, bought 6 months ago, cost £2,800, so we have "significant" gains, rather than charges!
I do not like seasonal pitches; they are touring pitches. If folk want seasonal, buy a static, and leave touring pitches for tourers!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
emmerson said:
otherclive said:
It’s nothing new. Holiday companies going bust isn’t new. Remember Clarksons and their airline back in the early 1970s. Laker too. In the overall scheme of things TC going bust isn’t a big issue apart from the effect on jobs both here and abroad. But it will create a vacuum that others will fill.
We’ve taken many package and self booked trips without any hassle.

Whilst we both love being away in the caravan I get frustrated at its lack of use not through any problems with ourselves. Although doubtless they will arrive one day. It’s the hassle of owning an under used asset (car and van) which have significant standing charges, deprecation and random costs. My wife favours a seasonal pitch next year within 50 miles of home. We could use it jointly or independently and family too. I am still undecided on that one as it sounds the death knell to touring, and I favour doing what we did in 2014; selling the whole outfit. We then had four trips to India and areas around plus Mediterranean and U.K. holidays too.

Watch this space. :)

Other Clive, I accept that under-use of an asset can be very frustrating, and is for some, unavoidable due to work, health etc. Anne and I suffer from the latter ourselves, but we don't have the "significant" standing charges, as we use classic (or "old", depending on your viewpoint!) kit. Our caravan cost £2,500 twenty two years ago, and is now 42 years old, and has an agreed value of £8,000 today. Our current towcar, bought 6 months ago, cost £2,800, so we have "significant" gains, rather than charges!
I do not like seasonal pitches; they are touring pitches. If folk want seasonal, buy a static, and leave touring pitches for tourers!

I haven’t really thought about liking or not liking seasonal pitches. But they do give a site a guaranteed baseline income that will help its financial viability and could even keep prices down for touring outfits. Buying a static bears no relation to pitching a seasonal tourer. Be assured that if we go that way we won’t be planting geraniums outside the awning. I’m surprised that you don’t lump motorhomes and campers amongst your dislikes. Blocking country lanes as they attempt to simulate a cars ability to investigate remote parts.
In our case the consideration of a seasonal pitch isn’t just about an under utilised asset that wether you agree or disagree does cost money, but more significantly costs time which is a non retrievable commodity.

With a seasonal pitch we could be assured that when we have to return back at short notice it’s only 1.5-2 hours drive and when an opportunity to use it comes up at short notice we can be away quickly. It allows us some flexibility to get outdoors in a nice place but still retaining touring outfit for potential future use.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
At Wyton Lakes St Neots there are plenty of caravanners which seasonal pitches in fact I think several are permanent because of the flowers round the awnings , this is our second visit in three weeks and the same people havr turned up to their caravans msinly for the carp fishing tight lines

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Poston Mill Herefordshire last week was an eye opener. Once a tourers Site is gradually increasing in the number of seasonals. No problem to me. We still had the benefit of a brand new fully serviced pitch. Opposite me and two adjacent were five seasonals. These guys are paying over £2k for the summer season. We were not inconvenienced. Indeed I suggest the seasonal may , unwittingly , be subsidising me as a tourer and ensuring the site continues to take tourers .
The toilets /showers were not heavily used. Good for me!
I still have easy access to CLs CSs and Club sites. I do not yet know of a tourer site which has completely metamorphisised into a seasonal only??

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
The owner at Wyton seems to keep the right hand of the site for permanent residents there must be at least a couple of dozen all have awnings up and flower pots everywhere but on here there is room for everyone,

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
camel said:
The owner at Wyton seems to keep the right hand of the site for permanent residents there must be at least a couple of dozen all have awnings up and flower pots everywhere but on here there is room for everyone,

Camel, last time there we were at the far end near the river, very nice, but the marina down the road didn't accept dogs so we walk down to the Three jolly butchers, have you tried The Willows on the other side of Huntingdon. Open all year round as well.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I must agree that seasonals give the operator a guarrantee'd income, but i haven't noticed it keeping touring rates down!
On a beautiful site in the Lake District recently, with wonderful views right down the valley, the best pitches were taken by seasonal vans, all empty as it was mid-week, so tourers were pushed into shaded pitches with no outlook. The site is open year-round, but the owner told me that only two of the seasonals were ever used over the winter. Such a shame. We won't be going back.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
emmerson said:
I must agree that seasonals give the operator a guarrantee'd income, but i haven't noticed it keeping touring rates down!
On a beautiful site in the Lake District recently, with wonderful views right down the valley, the best pitches were taken by seasonal vans, all empty as it was mid-week, so tourers were pushed into shaded pitches with no outlook. The site is open year-round, but the owner told me that only two of the seasonals were ever used over the winter. Such a shame. We won't be going back.

We have noticed that around the country, and also at the C&C site at Hartford the best pitches were reserved for the "Every weekend "folk really hacked me orf.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
We have not tried the Willows if there is a des ent five days we might pop down there, I know you like your pubs with caravan sites so have you heard of the Coachmans at Scarborough , I think there is twelve pitches ,adults only and ect to the pub, on my list for next year,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
emmerson said:

We have noticed that around the country, and also at the C&C site at Hartford the best pitches were reserved for the "Every weekend "folk really hacked me orf.

This is why we gave up years ago trying to book full weeks at CAMC Chatsworth :(

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
EH52ARH said:
emmerson said:

This is why we gave up years ago trying to book full weeks at CAMC Chatsworth :(

Seasonal and service pitches reduce choice for us true touring folk :whistle:

TIC !!!!!!!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
EH52ARH said:
emmerson said:

Seasonal and service pitches reduce choice for us true touring folk :whistle:

TIC !!!!!!!
These days Clive I have to admit that whilst we are true tourers we do prefer a fully serviced pitch :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts