Ariel/dish

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 10, 2021
Visit site
If the caravan is on a permanent pitch, why not pay the extra and get an engineer to set up a satellite dish for you using an old Sky+HD box. It would be a one off payment and you will be sorted.
Not a bad idea I am with sky at home....yes good shout I will make enquiries this weekend. Will they set it up on a pole ??

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Satellite will work with the dish at ground level provided people don't walk or drive in front of it and it has a clear view of the necessary part of the sky. Otherwise provided it is unobstructed at will be OK at about head height - note it 'looks' about 25deg upwards even though it appears to be looking straight forward.
You don't need to contact Sky to get your TV by satellite. You can use Freesat which is a once-off purchase and gives almost all of the same stations as Freeview. Sky also do Freesat-from-Sky which will cost you a once off £25 for a viewing card but you will only get the free-to-air and free-to-view (FTA & FTV) channels of which there are more than on Freesat. For either in a static location you will need a TV licence in addition to the one you have at home.
If you have a spare/old Sky box at home it will still work on the FTA/FTV channels even if any subscriptions on its viewing card have expired. The one advantage of a Freesat box is that you can get one that records: if you want to record on an old Sky box then you will have to pay Sky about £10/month for the honour of doing so.
If you don't have an old Sky box but would prefer to go down that route find a local branch of Cash Converters who will sell you a box with mains cable, remote, and guarantee for less than £20. If you are lucky it will still have a viewing card in it: if it has not you can buy one from Sky as detailed above which will give you the correct local channels on the correct channel numbers: the box will work without a viewing card but BBC1 will be London and ITV will be Central West (i.e.Brum.) If you don't want to pay to record then get a multi-room box which is much smaller and lighter but does the same job.
Ultimately of course you can always take your Sky box from home........ (although a Q box will need a different dish and LNB and you will not be able to get anything that comes down your landline.)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Not a bad idea I am with sky at home....yes good shout I will make enquiries this weekend. Will they set it up on a pole ??
If you have Sky+HD at home you can take your Sky box and connect it up to the satellite dish and can then watch all Sky programs and also record Sky programs. It will be the same as if at home. No need to pay a one off £25 fee.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the caravan is permanently sited it may be classed as a a mobile home, in which case you should be aware that you may need to get a separate TV licence.

Wikipedia has this
"You'll need to buy a TV Licence for your static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet if: anyone, at the same time, is watching or recording live TV on any channel or watching or downloading BBC programmes on iPlayer at your main licensed address. the caravan or mobile home is your main residence. "

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the caravan is permanently sited it may be classed as a a mobile home, in which case you should be aware that you may need to get a separate TV licence.

Wikipedia has this
"You'll need to buy a TV Licence for your static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet if: anyone, at the same time, is watching or recording live TV on any channel or watching or downloading BBC programmes on iPlayer at your main licensed address. the caravan or mobile home is your main residence. "
A touring caravan can be moved at any time so not permanently sited. I would be interested to know how they can check your home address and also the location of the caravan at the same time to see if both TVs are being used at the same time. Not something I would worry about!

Reactions: JTQ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts