Arriving Ports mouth from St Malo

May 27, 2007
Visit site
Folks I need some advice. If I arrive in Portsmouth on Thursday 21st at 18:20 hrs should I begin travelling north through the night or would you experts find a local site and settle down for the night travelling on the Friday, if so what sites would you suggest thanks

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi
How far north have you got to drive?
We've arrived back on the Caen and Roscoff ferries that dock around 9.30pm and driven up to Derbyshire, we now prefer not to do it. If you've had a long day and then a six hour crossing the drive home seems to take forever. If we do it again we would have a cabin and sleep most of the way. Arriving back at 6.20 would be better and with a long crossing you could get plenty of rest, driving through the night is far less hassle but it would depend on your distance to home.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
We did the same crossing last year. We had a cabin, managed a sleep during the crossing then drove up to near Manchester by about 12.30am. The motorway near the ferry was fairly busy but the roads just became quieter and quieter as we drove North. I know it will be good Friday, but I would have thought that everyone will have got where they're going by the time you'll be on the road. It willobviously help if you can share the driving.
We're planning to do the same again when we arrive back in September.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are a CC member there is a good CL near Winchester just off the motorway = Yew Tree Cottage. Easy to drive in and park up without unhitching if you can manage without EHU. Adults only. Very popular so may be booked that cloase to Easter. Owner is Mr C Easter 01962 877615.
No relation or other connection with me other than my being a satisfied customer.

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
We pondered over this a couple of summers ago and opted to stay overnight near the port as we arrived in Portsmouth around 9.30pm.

However the time spent finding the place & sorting ourselves out could have been spent on the road home and we wished we had driven straight home (to Mid-Wales) instead which is approx 4hrs drive (just under half of which is motorway).

This summer we will be driving straight home from Portsmouth, hopefully arriving back by about 1.30am,....but affording ourselves a nice lie-in the next morning :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts