Arriving Portsmouth from ST Malo

May 27, 2007
Visit site
Folks, your advice please. I'm coming off the ST Malo ferry on Thursdat the 21st April at 18:20 hrs. Has anyone done this and if so what is your advice. Should I hit the road and make my way north travelling all night, avoiding Easter traffic or find a site as soon as I embark, if so what sites near Portsmouth
thanks

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Ally If you have rested on the ferry, I would travel up the road, I`m near Carlisle and enjoy a peaceful run up the road through the night, no hassles or congestion, you can knock hours off a day run, and your fuel consumption is better too.

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ally

It depends on you. If you are young and fit, with good eye sight (in the dark) and like driving at night, I would agree with Phil. I would have done this in the past, but now I am older I prefer to stop, and there is an excellent Caravan Club site at Fareham (about 10 miles from the ferry terminal at Portsmouth - but I can't remember the name off hand!). They have an area for units coming off the ferries and only requiring an overnight stop.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
For many around London that will be the day they head off for the Easter break. Assuming that you will use some of A3 , M27 ,M3 , A34 , M25, M1 , M4 , M40 or any of those roads you are likely to hit South East motoring hell at that time of the evening.
We would either park up until after 10pm and then head north or use a nearby site and leave mid morning after the traffic should have calmed down a bit.

ps The A3 tunnel does not open until after mid May, all traffic is still going through Hindhead and being re routed around new road layout causing mayhem at busy times!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
KeithJ said:
Hi Ally
there is an excellent Caravan Club site at Fareham (about 10 miles from the ferry terminal at Portsmouth - but I can't remember the name off hand!).

It's Rookesbury Park CC site, and it's for members only. Ally would need to join the club if she isn't already a member.
smiley-smile.gif

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is always the Morn Hill CC site at Winchester, 45 mins from ferry port, it is open to non members and is easier to access than Rookesbury Park IMHO

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Wendy - of course I was thinking of Rookesbury Park. I pointed out that it was a Caravan Club site as a suggestion if Ally was a member. If not perhaps Clubman's suggestion is suitable but it will take longer to reach there and it depends how late you can arrive on site. I agree with omonwheels that traffic will be horrendous that evening.

May 27, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to all for replying. I've decided to stay an extra day in brittany and come off the boat on Friday evening, hopefully those heading on the weekend break may have all found their locations by Friday evening, then we can head north into Saturday morning. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks all

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts