Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Until now we have used camping cheques.

However, I have heard people talk about ASCI card and wonder how it works?

Do you just buy the card off the website, turn up and pay the rate up to 15E? Do you get a book for the initial fee?

What are advantages over camping cheques?

Thank you in advance.

Alex

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
We used the ACSI card several times in France while motorhomers. We bought ours from Vicarious Books - we got the card which comes with a sites book listing all the sites which accept it and give discounts. Each site has a price range in the listing. We also bought the ACSI DVD which has a very useful site finding and route planning facility. Last time we went we used it on about 8 different sites in Brittany and Normandy and never spent more than 14E a night and sometimes a lot less, although studying the tariff on some of them they would have been well over 25E if we had paid full price. I can't compare it with camping cheques because we have never used them, but if we were still taking caravan or motorhome over the channel I would definitely get one. Don't go over the water anymore as OH health not up to it anymore.

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Camping Cheques can be used on sites out of season a lot later in the year than ACSI card.Going to the dordogne late in June and most Camping Cheque Sites appear to allow there use up until 9th or 10th July. All the ACSI ones seem to stop on 30th June.Just an observation of the pros and cons.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We use both! For flexibility and the maximum choice of cheap campsites we take both with us, and this year also have some Touring Cheques.

Some ACSI sites at only 11 euros per night - and some sites do a 7 nights for 6 deal. As previously stated, Camping Cheques seem to have a slightly longer season, with lots of sites still being available up until the middle of July and again after about the 15th August.

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
Thank you all for your input. We will be giving it a bash. We tend to travel in September so the seasonal bit should not be a problem.

I found out about it from a chap in a motorhome. It occurred to me, that motorhomers are more likely to use this type of card as they stop at aires and wild camp.

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, i've not used these cards before and i'm a little confussed.Does it mean that i can't use these cards if i go away in september? Are they seasonal?thanks

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
No. You can use Camping Cheques and an ACSI Card in September on those sites which accept them (see the websites for details of which sites). Generally they are accepted in 'low season' which differs from campsite to campsite. Some take Camping Cheques, or an ACSI card from the start of the season until about the end of June, or even into mid-July. Some start accepting them again from mid-August, and most from the 1st of September. However, there are exceptions and some sites take Camping Cheques all season.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We did a 3 month tour in France last year, September/November using mainly ACSI card sites. The main problem at that time of year is that there are not that many sites open in France, but we found enough to give us a choice.

This year we are off to Scandinavia for 4 months May/September, we have the ACSI card, and are also taking some Camping Cheques to extend our choice of sites.

Nov 19, 2006
Visit site
The main difference between the two cards is that with Camping cheques you have to pay upfront for the amount of cheques that you require. With ACSI you pay as you go after you have bought the book at

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Keith, just to be absolutely sure the site you're looking at takes the ACSI card, check on the ACSI card website (www.campingcard.com). ACSI is a Dutch Camping Organisation which 'inspects' campsites too - so not all sites bearing the ACSI logo take the card.

Basically if the site you want takes the ACSI card then Yes, you will get a discount on the camping fees. Site costs are in one of three price bands, 11 euros, 13 euros and 15 euros and that's all you pay for a pitch, car and caravan, two people, and electric hook-up. Normally you just show the ACSI card on arrival and pay at the end of your stay.

Normally you don't actually need to book ACSI sites - because the card is accepted in the low season you'll always find a space. We go earlier than you (last week of August) and have never had problems finding a pitch on any of the sites we've wanted.However you can book sites through the ACSI card website - there is a reservation form on the website which you can complete and email to the site if you'd rather make absolutely sure you've got a pitch. It does take confidence the first time you go without a booking, as we're so used to having to book sites months in advance in this country.

Don't worry at all about asking questions - it's the best way to find out what you want to know!

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I would agree with Val, there is really no need to book in advance in September, we did not book any sites in advance at all.
Not all ACSI sites finish taking the card at the end of June most we visit go on into July. Some take the card over Easter and other Bank and Religious Holidays. They start again mid August to the begining of September.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts