Aspen petrol substitute

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I use a generator twice a year and when getting ready to go to the Stafford Show ground for a week found that I could not start it so took it to be looked at.
The repairers said that the petrol that I had left in the generator had broken down and damaged the fuel line.
They suggested that I use a petrol substitute called Aspen which is made from the surplus gases from refined crude oil which sounded ok until I found out it costs £33.00 for 5 litres.
I will stick to petrol but has anyone used Aspen ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
At that price I’d expect it to do my mowing for me! You can get petrol life extenders from mowing machine outlets but for machines like generators and mowers I find it’s better to drain them out during any period when they may not be in use for a couple of months or more.
Modern fuels aren’t as stable as the fuels of yesteryear due to changes in the refining process. Some years ago the Navy had a problem when bulk shore supply tanks of dieso developed a fine precipitate cloud which rendered the fuel unusable as it would clog system filters. So they bought a large filtration rig to clean out the precipitate. But even so all vessels that didn’t have centrifuges fitted had to have them installed to prevent in line filters clogging.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Aspen is really good, pricy campared with "mixing your own" but has other advantages as well.
Engines run much cleaner and servicing costs are often halved .
Many professionals who run various 2 stroke machines for their businesses wouldn't use anything else.

I agree with SEMPTIE it can be purchased for a lot less ( but still more than "mixing ones own")

As always "you pays your money and takes your choice"
Happy Caravanning
paws

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
paws said:
Aspen is really good, pricy campared with "mixing your own" but has other advantages as well.
Engines run much cleaner and servicing costs are often halved .
Many professionals who run various 2 stroke machines for their businesses wouldn't use anything else.

I agree with SEMPTIE it can be purchased for a lot less ( but still more than "mixing ones own")

As always "you pays your money and takes your choice"
Happy Caravanning
paws

What do you need to do to ‘mix your own?’

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
You get this problem a lot with Briggs and Stratton engines, on these engines what happens is the diaphragm that feeds the carb will if you leave the fuel in over winter will break down and the diaphragm will need changing, better still drain the fuel or just run the engine every so often,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just being inquisitive about Aspen I did a web search and came across Fuel Cat. Well that’s a blast from the past. Does anyone remember the claims of improved mpg, power, life etc that could be achieved by just dropping some metal marbles into your tank? Well you can still buy it on eBay yet never did I see any substantiated (laboratory) tests of its claimed improvement.

https://fuelcat.co.uk/what-is-fuel-cat/

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I dare not put Aspen in my mower, I mean I have never emptied the fuel over winter, I have never changed the oil, plug, any filters etc etc, BUT I did have it serviced back in 2001, bought in 1996 and it still fly's...it's a flymo!!!! :woohoo:

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive
I was using the phrase "mixing one's own" as a reference to making one's own pertoil mixure for 2 stroke engines, by using a container of "ordinary" petrol and mixing in the oil at the required ratio ( 25:1 or 40:1 or 50:1 or whatever.
It s a very much cheaper way of using 2 stroke engines from the fuel point of view, but with the Aspen they seem to run much cleaner, require less servicing and the exhaust is a lot, or seems to be, very much cleaner. When the engine is running for 4 or 5 hours at a time a clean exhaust is quite a consideration... but as has been said it certainly a tad pricey!
All best
and of course
Happy Caravanning
paws

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have a look at the fuel stabilisers widely used for garden machinery which may be left with fuel in the tank over winter. These additives require only a few drops to be added to each litre and this can be done to the bulk petrol before mixing with oil for two strokes or some fours four strokes. It' recommended for some standby generators too.
I think Briggs and Stratton offer one. I use something called ethanol stabiliser and also use it in the fuel left in my runabout when away long term with the caravan
I think most garden machinery retails should have it and it's only a few £££ for enough to treat 150 litres of gasoline

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts