ATC System

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is a long article in the July Camping and Caravanning Club magazine about ATC and IDC(the BPW equivalent)with the final verdict being that it is worth having, subject to taking all the normal considerations into account such as proper car to van match, correct loading, use of stabilisers and sensible driving.

At the current time only Al-Ko are fitting the units as there are issues with towbar wiring on some cars.

ATC and IDC need a 20amp fused supply for their use alone, or a 25amp fused supply if running the other ancilliary supplies needed for the van.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
I know this system is powered from the car battery via the grey plug. Does anyone know if it is advisable to disconnect if stationary for a while e.g. overnight on ferry crossing?

I wouldn't imagine it is drawing any power but I would hate to be struggling to get the car started in the morning.

Thanks

Robert

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
There is a long article in the July Camping and Caravanning Club magazine about ATC and IDC(the BPW equivalent)with the final verdict being that it is worth having, subject to taking all the normal considerations into account such as proper car to van match, correct loading, use of stabilisers and sensible driving.

At the current time only Al-Ko are fitting the units as there are issues with towbar wiring on some cars.

ATC and IDC need a 20amp fused supply for their use alone, or a 25amp fused supply if running the other ancilliary supplies needed for the van.
Thanks Damian I'll try and get hold of that issue of the CCC magazine.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I asked 2 people how they liked the ATC last week in France

One said that it stopped that sucking feeling when lorries pass and the other said that you could feel it braking one wheel when it started to sway

It seems very capable (wink wink)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rob, as far as I know the unit continually senses any sideways movement, so will be "live" as such whilst connected to the car, unless it is powered through a switched relay that only supplies power when the engine is running.

In the write up there is reference to indicator lights on the A frame to confirm it is operational before setting off, but it does not say if the car is running or not.

If it is switched through a relay then it would be drawing no power when the engine is off, but if not, then it would be sensible to disconnect the 12s for a long ferry crossing.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
It powers off pin 4 which is "always live" with return via pin 3 so potentially its powered whether the engine is running or not.

There is no mention of any requirement for it to receive power even for signalling off the switched refrig pin 6.

Better not park on a camber!

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
I had it fitted as an option on my Bailey.

Covered aroung 2000 miles with it since easter.

I have felt it cut in a few times. Most noticeably on Good Friday when we towed in gale force winds from Aberdeenshire to Edinburgh.

I also have shock absorbers fitted so general stability is enhanced with these.

Would not like to have a non ATC equipped 'van now that I have had it.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
Weighs about 4Kg from memory.

I believe it is fitted on or about the axle but to be honest I haven't crawled under the van to look!

Mar 27, 2008
Visit site
have it on my van it works a treat felt it working on my way back from scotland in gale force winds it does give you tht xtra feel good feeling as for power I understand it only draws power when first plugged in as it does it's checks and when activated thro excess cross movment will it activate on a ferry I think I will disconnect mine.

Mar 27, 2008
Visit site
have it on my van it works a treat felt it working on my way back from scotland in gale force winds it does give you tht xtra feel good feeling as for power I understand it only draws power when first plugged in as it does it's checks and when activated thro excess cross movment will it activate on a ferry I think I will disconnect mine.

Apr 9, 2005
Visit site
I have just spoken to AL KO in Warkwichshire, as they say you dont have to disconnect it, it would have to be a very bad crossing before it kicks in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts