Oct 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi all just a bit puzzled , we bought a new Elddis 550 just over 12 months ago ,the ATC hasn’t in my mind operated correctly from new , it’s been back to agents and problem logged with Elddis via the agents , the light is always green when leaving the compound but red when we arrive at site ,I would say 95percent of the time , I recently went down to Cornwall with a night stop over at Tewksbury , again light green then red when I checked at arrivals ,the following day we left and light was green , one of the services on the m5 we stopped for a loo break and the light was green hey ho seems to be ok , as we left the m5 junction 31 onto A30 I decided to pull onto a lay-by I checked the light and it was red , I popped into the van and by surprise I’d left a small bottle of water on the window table at front of the van and it was only half full standing upright on the table must have been 50 miles or so and still not fallen of the table , point being made the caravan must have been stable in that part of the journey so why have I got this problem ? the electrical plugs make and female have been sprayed with electrical cleaner and the car electrics have been checked and given the all clear , the agent had the van for warranty works (other) and cleared memory but it’s still not right , in fact the return journey after leaving the over night stop over I checked the light three times ,disconnected three times and reconnected I a distance of five miles at 30 mph before joining the m5 northbound anyone any ideas , van is under max weight and always set nose weight around 85kg tyre pressures are set according to van plate 65psi cold and car Honda CRV rear at 36psi help needed cheers

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
For whatever reason*, I did find I had the red light on a few times when the final stopping was just a little too abrupt. Simply easing forward a few feet gently reset it to green.
If it is a "real" red light situation, it does mean the actuator is partially or greater set on, and towing can't be continued without quickly burning out the brakes. so, this easing forward can only be a check. (If the red light was "real" and you had been towing any distance the brake drums would be incredibly hot or already wrecked.)

*If the brakes' pull rod's spreader plate is not "nice and squarely" pulled back by the overrun system setting it on with the abrupt stop, this could possibly lead to it slightly applying an unwanted bit of side pressure to the actuator's shaft inhibiting this setting back fully? (the red light indicating the actuator rod is not fully retracted)
Seems in our case to be an early life issue, not seen again in recent years, or I stop more gracefully these days? Or might be the endless fretting inflicted by use and towing thousands of miles has bedded in any overly tight tolerances?

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts