attaching an aerial

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
given up with our status aerial on our new sterling eccles looking at but a freestanding aerial. The question is do we attach it to the van or remove the jockey wheel and place it there. Not sure about removing the jockey wheel (like the stability) but hubby is considering both options doent fancy attaching it to the van. Please help!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You appear to have the same opinion of the Status aerial that I have. Having suffered this rubbish for years I bought a Maxview high gain aerial with extending pole. You don't have to remove the jockey wheel, the pole comes with two brackets that clamp to the jockey wheel tube.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This may be stating the obvious but have you switched on the booster and got the connections at the booster right. We have a 2003 sterling eccles jewel and I had to label the co-axial cables at the booster to make sure I had the right ones plugged in for the status aerial and then the external connection for use on sites that provide that facility.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
before giving up entirely on the Status, have you checked that the plugs are propely connected i.e. with the screen not touching the central core - even by a whisker of copper wire and that the central wire is firm. In the last three new caravans i have had, one or more of the conncetions has been badly made. Don't forget the panel outlet into which you plug the TV. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Helen. You don't say which model Status aerial you have. We have the 530 model and the only time we do not pick up an imaculate picture is when no one else does either! But like an earlier co-respondent you have to make sure that the booster is swithed on! First time out in our 2002 Compass Liberte we failed to do this with the result at my wifes insistance I spent 50 quid on a freestanding state of the art aerial which was rendered surplus to requirement as soon as the system was eventually swithed on. Marvellous piece of kit that we tele addicts would not be without.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Whilst we find the status OK for most sites there are some locations where something better is needed. We solved the reception problem by getting a 4 part pole and an Ariel from our local dealer. we also got a spike of the type for Sun brollies which screws into the ground. Now with 3 guy ropes to aid stability we can position the Ariel at the best point around the van. We also have a status 12volt booster and find this set up has been excellent on our travels. the problem we found with mounting the pole on the A frame was that on some sites with trees you find that the signal may be better at a different point around the van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i use a domestic aerial, long tube and a couple of 'jubilee clips' round the pole and jockey wheel shaft. with a demostic signal booster in line; works a treat and is cheaper than any 'made of caravan system'. collapses to its component parts and is stored in a bag just like the awing poles.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Another solution is use a satellite dish which is probaly easier to set up than a freestanding aerial. At least with a satellite dish you know here you have to point and with the aid of a compass, bingo, you have clear picture without the need fo any boosters.

If you do not have Sky try freeview. Also you do not have to tune your TV in every time you visit a different site> Once tuned in sit back & relax!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have sky in our caravan and its loads better than having to tune the tele in at each site and now we get channel 5 which we struggled to get at most sites. You can buy the box and dish from ebay ( wait for one to come at a price you want to pay theres always loads for auction) and if you have sky at home take card with you. You will get all the channels you subscribe to except preium ones like movies, sport etc.. I got a special stand for dish from local caravan dealer and set top box fits neatly in chest cupboard securly fastened down all connected ready for when i need it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I just have a normal arerial on a pole this is clamped to the jocky wheel pole with two clamps "sourced" from the temporary fencing used around building site ( plant hire firms can sell you these) this allows both pole to be clamped really well & the picture is excellent

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks for all your comments just spent 5 nights in a field in Felindre, Swansea with a cc rally really great and without a tv in van except in the hall that was being used. having seen the very sad news over the week was glad to go back to the caravan and have no telly. will certainly take up your suggestions. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Helen,

I too think that Status aerials in some areas are hopeless. I overcame the problem with a Directional Aerial with a mast and attached it to the awning channel with a fitment that Status make and it sells for about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts