Audi A4 / Avant

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The time has come to change our tow car. Currently have a Ford Focus Cmax 2.0 diesel but it is getting a bit long in the tooth now.
A change of job means I do lots of motorway mileage and I'm looking for comfort and longevity of a car.
I really like the Audi A4 especially in Avant guise. Will be looking at a used 2 litre diesel and I wonder if anyone has any experience of this car please? Particularly interested in reliability, servicing costs, towing ability. Is there anything I need to be aware of? I have seen mention of additional cooling required for auto boxes?
Our caravan is a 94 Lunar Clubman with a MTPLM of 1200kg.

Many thanks,

Chris

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Chris,

Audi have carved out quite a good reputation over the last few years, and whilst most commentators would rank BMW and Merc above Audi in terms of ultimate drivers cars, but that shouldn't be taken to mean that Audi are poor and it varies model to model. It will probably rate higher than the Ford you currently have.

What you don't tell us is specifically which version of the A4, year and trim, all of which can affect the cars performance as a tow vehicle, In terms of the automatic you don't tell us which type, is it torque converter or DSG auto (VA Group seem to be going down the DSG route).

I currently run the VW Passat estate sibling 2.0L PD (170) DSG, and so far I have been quite impressed with it solo. I do not tow bar with it so can't comment on that aspect of it. Servicing costs at independant garages should on a par with other manufactures vehicles, except where specific parts or fluids may be required.

The fact the VW Passat has been voted top of its group in tow car awards on a number of occasions suggests the general layout and power units are well liked, and some have even given the DSG box the thumbs up. So its likely the Audi version would receive similar accolades but because of the retail price difference the VW may win.

Using the same perceived value guides, you could do worse than look at the Skoda Superb which also share many common mechanical components and offers high specification at a significant saving over both VW and Audi models.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have had 2 A4 avants as company cars but never towed with them as i have a twin axle.
Both were manual diesels , a 130 and a 140 bhp they were both S-lines so very hard suspension, ok for me but others didnt like too much.
Owned for 3 years each and did about 25k a year, couldn't tell the difference in power , they ate front tyres approx 10k before needing to be replaced.
Serving i didn't see costs but no different than other top marque cars, what they do get you on is what Audi recommend , brake fluid, anti-freeze after 2 years etc, don't get them done and you lose your warranty, which is only 60k or 3 years, i did have an exhaust manifold crack on the 140 at 65k miles , they didn't do under warranty.
Nice to drive but very low, reasonable boot space.
Build quality excellent but so are all the others now , its just if you want the badge?

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for the replies. Been an interesting few weeks trawling through suitable cars. Down to two now the A4 Avant or the Skoda Superb. Both in manual gearbox set up. Really impressed with the Skoda, but isn't it long! It is half a metre longer than my CMax. I was interested in the Octavia estate but on checking on the Caravan Club matching service it appears to be very light and not suited to my needs. Thanks again for the comments.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
reggie69 said:
Many thanks for the replies. Been an interesting few weeks trawling through suitable cars. Down to two now the A4 Avant or the Skoda Superb. Both in manual gearbox set up. Really impressed with the Skoda, but isn't it long! It is half a metre longer than my CMax. I was interested in the Octavia estate but on checking on the Caravan Club matching service it appears to be very light and not suited to my needs. Thanks again for the comments.

Have you considered the Octavia Estate 4x4? my 2012 model has a mass in service (V5C) of 1,495kg, my van has a mtplm of 1,230kg giving a tow ratio of 82%. They do carry more weight than the standard versions and have the advantage of Haldex making it easy to get on and off a muddy field.

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
All sorted! I've purchased a 2011 A4 Avant - 2.0l tdi 170ps. Looking forward to getting it. Just need to get a towbar sorted now. Any recommendations for a fitter in the West Midlands please? The company I used on my last car no longer fit. Thanks for your thoughts.

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I have the 170 engine in my Yeti reggie , I find it economical both solo and towing with plenty of power when required . Just ensure the correct vw spec 507 engine oil is used .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
When i have my 140 it ran on the Castrol longlife oil to extend its services, i was speaking to the Castrol rep one day and he said the oil was too hard and the engine never bedding in properly? He said drain it out and put in Mobil 1 and stick to the shorter service schedule.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts