AUTO DISCO

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
just about to replace my manual disco 180,000 miles old with an auto one. any feedback on consumption and performance needed.going for an import disco as their like new body wise and average mileage. any thoughts welcome.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry but in my experience the Auto 300 tdi is Gutless the 111 bhp is just not enough power to overcome the losses within the auto box. and that is before you hitch the caravan on it and try to pull out of a side road onto a round about. the Auto TD5 is better but not much.Stick to one with a manual box.Or if you still want an Auto go for a V8 with a gas conversion plenty of these about in the LR mags.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Had a 52 plate TD5 Auto for over two years and very much enjoyed ownership.

The TD5 was a fantastic tow car and was a real work-horse. Compared with other 4X4s, it is noisey to drive and it doesn't have a great turning-circle. You learn how to make the best use of its power and it was an enjoyable and fun car to own. Around town it was nimble and surprisingly quick off the mark. On counrty roads it sticks like glue and can perform impressively. MPG was about 25 in town, 30 on long journeys, and 25-29 towing (Elddis Crusader Super Sirocco) so I think it is really pretty good.

Using its power meant not using kick-down if possible when towing. If you do, you simply get a lot of engine noise and not much else... That said, when driving down through France in June, it was easily able to hold 70mph+ even going up long m-way hills and it was only when it lost speed that it became difficult for a while to get back up to cruising speed.

I enjoyed ownership and found it an inexpensive vehicle to run.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry but in my experience the Auto 300 tdi is Gutless the 111 bhp is just not enough power to overcome the losses within the auto box. and that is before you hitch the caravan on it and try to pull out of a side road onto a round about. the Auto TD5 is better but not much.Stick to one with a manual box.Or if you still want an Auto go for a V8 with a gas conversion plenty of these about in the LR mags.
111 bhp?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For towing surely its the Torque that is mor important?

Both the 200 & 300 TDi engines give a very respectable 195 at only 1800 revs.

Please do not think I am a diesel lover because I am not! Tho the more modern ones are a great deal better than those of even five years ago. I prefer the V8 with a LPG conversion. What a performer and at just 40p a litre it is cheaper to run than a 300TDi.

However, all that I have read indicates that the 300TDi mated to an auto box is probably one of the best towing vehicles arround. I would suggest that the posting here are from people that try to drive it like it was a car?

Rather than let the revs stay at 1800 at which you could tow a caravan up the side of a house!

From a personal point of view, the above ability, tho impressive, is what makes the V8 so much superior in that at whatever speed, in whatever conditions, - a touch on the accelerator and the powere just comes in in spades and off you go.

And when the auto box drops a gear and the outfit excelerates up a hill whilst towing - it is just silly grin inducing!

I do not knock the TDi's and as yet have not towed with a TD5.

I just prefer the better range of power rather than that restricted 1800 rev narrow Torque band.

The TD6 Range Rover is an awsome beast - 6 cylinder BMW unit. The guys I know that have these think there is nothing better. I also far prefer the horizontal split rear door rather than the sideways opening of the Disco which when towing can be a pain as it fouls the raised Jockey wheel if you want to get in the back whilst still hooked up.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
My wife Rosemarie has an auto disco. She uses it to pull her heavy horse trailer (2700 kilos fully loaded) and we often use it for the caravan.

This is her fourth disco. First was diesel, manual gearbox. Noisy, underpowered, awfull really for a long journey.

All the others have been V8 autos. Much better, quieter, smoother, great torque.

All that is to change in the next 3 weeks. She does not like the new shape disco (says it looks like a van from the back), so a V10 5ltr Touareg is coming.

People, after all these years of discos, I have to say the Touraeg is much better. Quieter, smoother, more powerfull, better equipped, and near enough the same price as the top of the range disco. And yes, just as good off road for the very small minority who actually do that.

Having said all that, (ok ok), I still like my Volvo V70R AWD for the caravan. It pulls so hard you worry about stretching the a frame, and super stable.

Happy Towing

Michael

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
My wife Rosemarie has an auto disco. She uses it to pull her heavy horse trailer (2700 kilos fully loaded) and we often use it for the caravan.

This is her fourth disco. First was diesel, manual gearbox. Noisy, underpowered, awfull really for a long journey.

All the others have been V8 autos. Much better, quieter, smoother, great torque.

All that is to change in the next 3 weeks. She does not like the new shape disco (says it looks like a van from the back), so a V10 5ltr Touareg is coming.

People, after all these years of discos, I have to say the Touraeg is much better. Quieter, smoother, more powerfull, better equipped, and near enough the same price as the top of the range disco. And yes, just as good off road for the very small minority who actually do that.

Having said all that, (ok ok), I still like my Volvo V70R AWD for the caravan. It pulls so hard you worry about stretching the a frame, and super stable.

Happy Towing

Michael
We have had both the 200 and 300 series Discos TDi and found them to be excellent towcars.

We currently own a TD5 which we have had for two years now, and are equally as enthusiastic about singing its praises.

We have never had any problems with our Discos, maybe we have just been lucky, but would recommend one to anybody.

Next year will be buying the Disco 3 and cannot wait!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Happy Towing

Michael
thanks for all replies still trying to decide what to for

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site

Happy Towing

Michael
Hi i borrowed one of the run out models of the old disco which was a td5 auto to tow my Elldis storm.I must say i felt very underpowered it didnt want to go had to really work the car which at the end of the journey made me feel very tired and not very relaxed.New one is more powerful but so heavy all the extra power is taken up with the weight.A top spec Disco 3 is around 48k so not in the same league as the Toureg unless you buy the v10 (very thirsy deep pockets needed)Im 6,6 and i had to duck to get in the Toureg then my head hit the roof with the seat in its lowest position , very uncomfortable ,ended up with a Nissan pathfinder T sec tdi great value does everything i want it to for much cheaper .

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
10:49 AM Hi i borrowed one of the run out models of the old disco which was a td5 auto to tow my Elldis storm.I must say i felt very underpowered it didnt want to go had to really work the car which at the end of the journey made me feel very tired and not very relaxed.New one is more powerful but so heavy all the extra power is taken up with the weight.A top spec Disco 3 is around 48k so not in the same league as the Toureg unless you buy the v10 (very thirsy deep pockets needed)Im 6,6 and i had to duck to get in the Toureg then my head hit the roof with the seat in its lowest position , very uncomfortable ,ended up with a Nissan pathfinder T sec tdi great value does everything i want it to do for much cheaper

Oct 2, 2005
Visit site
I have a 1997 v8 on lpg and apart from one or two glitches, it is a superb car and a great tow car as well. I have a coachman amara 03 and it tows it no problem.

dave

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts