Auto Gear Boxes

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying either a Volvo 960 petrol or an Omega 2.5 diesel both auto's and both estates. They are to tow my Bailey 550/6 MTPLM of 1300 so they should be a good match. My concern is about the auto boxes, I've seen other people going on about extra coolers for the gear box, will i require one of these? these are really big tow cars towing a single axle midleweight van, surely i'm getting all concerned about nothing!!! What do you all think.

Many thanks,

Dean.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've had both cars in the past so.......

Volvo said an additional cooler was not necessary and in three years of ownership I had no problems. Vauxhall also said an additional cooler wasn't required and if I fitted one it could invalidate the warranty. BUT, it is now known that Vauxhalls DO need an additional oil cooler for the auto-box, and as the BMW engined versions will now be out of the Vauxhall warranty period one should be fitted before towing.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm surprised to read about the apparent necessity for a transmission oil cooler for the Vauxhall Omega 2.5 diesel automatic considering the saloon is approved to tow 1750kg so a 1300kg caravan shouldn't test its capabilities to the limit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Spot on Rob

It's all very well people quoting figures etc, but an oil cooler is one of the best "extras" you can have if you tow anything.

It is VERY EASY TO COOK AN AUTOBOX - but that said I would not now go back to a manual box to tow. An auto is just so much better.

I once stupidly slotted my number plate that fell of the front ofv the car through the grill without realising it would then block the oil cooler for the autobox (my car comes with one as standard) - Result? - a very hot smell and a box that "slipped" for about a 1000 miles before it finally gave up.

Cost - over

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts