automatic transmission oil coolers

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
Can anyone tell me suppliers of auto transmission oil coolers where i can buy and fix myself.

EXECPT KENLOWE i have one on at the moment but the pipes from the car are getting boiling hot don`t think its working properly.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Simon,

Hae a look at this site: http://www.thinkauto.com/index.htm

It may be what you are looking for.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
How do you know the oil is boiling hot in the pipes? Don't expect to be able to touch the pipes no matter how good the oil cooler is. After all, you can't touch the radiator, either, when the engine is hot.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Kenlowe are an excellent make - I doubt anyone makes a significantly better product. Oil does get hot - engines work best at their designed operating temperature. They do not work well when cold.

I would suggest that "cold" would be if you could hold an oil pipe!

Before you go to the expence of fitting something else I would suggest you change the autobox oil and filter (if fitted - Land Rover auto boxes have them but not all makes do), cleaning out the vanes on the radiator if appropriate and making sure you do not have spot lights/badges etc obscuring the airflow to the oilcooler radiator.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The pipes from/to your oil cooler will be too hot to touch. The oil gets extemely hot when the box is working, hence the need for an oil cooler! I once tried to be clever and run without mine because it leaked and I didn't have time to change it. On a 35 mile trip, the box got so hot that it melted the external swithes for the inhibitor and reverse lights!It cost

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The correct temperature for COOLED engine and transmission oil is 80 degrees Centigrade. This temperature is too hot to hold and will cause burns if you don't let go!

It sounds like your cooler is working ok!

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
The correct temperature for COOLED engine and transmission oil is 80 degrees Centigrade. This temperature is too hot to hold and will cause burns if you don't let go!

It sounds like your cooler is working ok!
Its the pipes from the cooler that are red hot to touch, when i am driving without towing i can touch the pipes, they are hot but not as hot as towing.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Simon - the cooler inlet pipe can be anywhere between 80 and 150 degrees. The outlet should be around 80.

Towing does generate more heat, that's why a transmission cooler is advised. The pipes are bound to be hotter when towing.

Don't expect to be able to hold the pipes, towing or solo, they'll be too hot.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There's not really much point in discussing this issue much further without having any idea of how hot the transmission fluid actually is. Before going the expense of exchanging the cooler, I'd borrow an industrial type thermomter and take a reading.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There's not really much point in discussing this issue much further without having any idea of how hot the transmission fluid actually is. Before going the expense of exchanging the cooler, I'd borrow an industrial type thermomter and take a reading.
Slightly off topic I know but I thought I'd share this...I've recently bought a Honda Accord automatic.I did think about fitting an additional oil cooler but the advice I got from both my local Honda dealer and Honda technical dept was that it didn't need one.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Most autos don't need to have an oil cooler retrofitted but there may be a few exceptions. You did the correct thing to check with the dealer and tech dept. first. I've been towing with an automatic for 6 years without an additional oil cooler and I've been over the Alps and the Pyrenees with the caravan.

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
What type of auto did you tow with was it a disco, shogun or other big 4x4 as these don`t need oil coolers.

I would check with the practical caravan advice pages in the magazine, or the caravan club.

Also look at websites on auto gearboxes they will tell you about an extra cooler.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Because of consumer and product liability legislation, there's a conflict of interest in the advice given by manufacurer.

Almost every manufacturer will advice that NO transmission cooler is needed when towing simply because if they did otherwise they'd be sued for not fitting one as standard since they publish a "towing limit".

Some manufacturers fit a "cooler" which is simply an oil pipe fed through the cool tank of the coolant radiator - these help reduce extreme temperatures but do little to prolong the transmission's life.

Debate all you want whether a transmission oil cooler is "necessary" or just "advisable". I wouldn't touch with a bargepole a second-hand automatic which had a towbar but no additional cooler.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
My last 4 cars have been auto's, bought second hand, I have towed all over Europe and the UK and none of them had any additional oil cooler. I had no problems at all. All of the cars were however fully serviced, which included auto box oil replacement (except for 1 which had a supposedly sealed box).

May 12, 2006
Visit site
What type of auto did you tow with was it a disco, shogun or other big 4x4 as these don`t need oil coolers.

I would check with the practical caravan advice pages in the magazine, or the caravan club.

Also look at websites on auto gearboxes they will tell you about an extra cooler.
What is the " Rubbish " comment related to ??

Seriously

Val & Frank

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Most autos don't need to have an oil cooler retrofitted but there may be a few exceptions. You did the correct thing to check with the dealer and tech dept. first. I've been towing with an automatic for 6 years without an additional oil cooler and I've been over the Alps and the Pyrenees with the caravan.
Lutz, you said "additional" oil cooler. I agree, there should be no need for extra cooling, but it is 90% sure that your auto already has one.

Simon, all the vehicles you mention have oilcoolers as original equipment, so they do need them. See my previous post.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Graeme, you do surprise me. I've never owned an auto without a cooler! After my expensive experience I con't think I ever will, either! As a matter of interest, what makes were they?

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site

i have heard of an automatic gearbox -not fitted with an oilcooler as standard.the have them fitted so that when the vehicle is stationary after driving they do noy over heat ,because the airflow from moving is no longer there.,its the same principle as with brakes.example if you have a brake partaily seized when driving ,it will smoke but not ignite until you stop as there is no cooling.i tow with auto vito a twin axle -no problems with just the standard oilcooler

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
i have heard of an automatic gearbox -not fitted with an oilcooler as standard.the have them fitted so that when the vehicle is stationary after driving they do noy over heat ,because the airflow from moving is no longer there.,its the same principle as with brakes.example if you have a brake partaily seized when driving ,it will smoke but not ignite until you stop as there is no cooling.i tow with auto vito a twin axle -no problems with just the standard oilcooler
sorry it should have started .i have never

Jun 9, 2006
Visit site
All the way from South Africa! I drive a Jeep Cherokee 2.8CRD and this vehicle comes standard with a auto transmission oil cooler. Despite this I would be very surprised if you would be able to touch any oil pipes at all after towing! In fact most modern outo transmissions have a lock-up clutch and the manual clearly states that this will only work once the transmission has reached "operating temperature" which is quite hot in the first place. You should only get concerned if the transmission oil is turning black (normally a redish colour) and smells like burnt varnish...

Don't bother to change your oil cooler, it will be a waste of money. By the way do you allow the transmission to select highest gear i.e. 5th or Overdrive? This will with a heavy 'van lead to a much hotter running transmission at highway speeds, only allow the transmission to select highest gear or overdrive if the road is more or less level...if you don't do this you will reduce the life of your transmission.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts