AUTO'S FOR TOWING?

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
I have a Mitsibihi Carisma 1.8 automatic and would like some views on wether this would make a good tow car? Is an auto better than manual?

Regards Malcolm.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would doubt you'd have a very good experience with such a small engine. I don't have any torque figures for your motor but I do know that you lose around 40bhp through the drivetrain with the ZF 4 spd fitted to our RR. My manual Disco is a far better towing platform but I prefer the auto for offroading.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Malcolm,

Vehicles with automatic gearboxes are much easier on the driver especially when towing, and vehicles with modern automatic gearboxes give almost as good consumption figures as their manual equivalent - by modern I mean an integrated gearbox and engine controlled by the ECU.

www.whattowcar.com is a good site for information on what is possible with your car, how well it will perform under actual conditions, and make a comparison against a different car.

Robert

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I too think you would struggle with any but the smallest van in a makers range - such as a Baily Discovery or the like.

Auto in a small car would I agree, sap too much power and you would probably find top speed and hill climbing very slow.

However, Auto in general I personaly find a boon for towing with much of the hassle removed.

Make sure you have a transmission cooler though, specially in a low powered car such as yours.

If you were to consider a lightweight pop up, such as an Eriba then I think you could tow with much less stress and have a lot of fun.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Malcolm,

David is right, you could have a lot of fun in an Eriba Touring - you could tow any model from the range with the possible exception of the Eriba Troll.

The pop-top design means less aerodymanic drag, the curved shape is also more aerodynamic than a square sided van, and with the pop-top raised you have plenty of space isnide.

However if you want a shoebox shaped van, you could also look at the KIP Vision, or the new Eriba Feeling - both are straight sided vans with a pop-top.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Look at the manufacturers specifications (specifically bhp and max. tow limit) which will give an idea as to whether the car has enough grunt to tow. I used to use a 1993 1.8 automatic Mercedes 190E to tow a 1992 Elddis Hurricane with no problems.

Also check with the manufacturer to see if an additional gearbox oil cooler is needed, an overheated auto box is a dead auto box!!!!

Jan 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your comments. They are very informative. I checked with the local Mitsibishi dealer who told me that so long as I do not tow above the limit stated in the hand book I will not need an oil cooler.

Thanks again everyone.

P.S. My caravan is a Swift Challenger 400 SE.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Malcolm,I should get your dealer to put that in writing!If the car doesn't already have a gearbox oil cooler, you will need one.

I tow with a Range Rover auto, and temporarily disconnected the cooler cos it leaked. I towed my 26cwt Royale for 35miles on motorways and cooked the box. Cost me

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts