autos or manual

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ive towed for a long while,always with manuals,i would like an automatic for my next tug but have heard mixed reports ie,poor fuel consuption when towing,auto box has different gear ratio thus more likely to damage them.....anybody out there got any expierences with autos would be of great benefit to me,,,,,thanking you in anticipation

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
I have towed with both manual and auto and would much prefer auto. As long as the tow vehicle is up to it (ie I would not think a small car in auto derivitive would be very good)you will have no problem at all. The whole towing experience is much more relaxing particularly if you have cruise control.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
It certainly was the case that automatics were very significantly worse than the same car with a manual gearbox, but this was in the days of 3 speed automatics, kipper ties, and nylon underpants. My father had a petrol 3 speed autobox E230 in the early 80's, and the gear changes were just unbelievably bad, so much so that I never considered that company or an automatic for 20 years. And don't even think about fuel consumption...

But a modern 5 speed automatic gearbox coupled with a large diesel engine, both controlled by a well designed engine management system, seems to be the perfect combination as a tow car.

For instance my 2 year old C270 CDI (185 bhp, 450NM torque) automatic returns around 46 to 52 mpg solo, and between 33 and 38 mpg towing. Looking at the book, the manual version improves on these figures by 1 mpg in the city and 3 mpg extra urban when driven solo.

This is an almost insignificant difference, and the ease at which the car drives - both solo and towing - makes me wonder why I didn't get an automatic sooner.

Robert

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan,

I have towed with both and prefer Auto - best option is as heavy a car as you can afford with Auto, cruise control and gearbox cooler.

You don't get owt for nowt though and they do use more fuel solo and towing - probably about 15% more.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have towed with both manual and auto and would much prefer auto. As long as the tow vehicle is up to it (ie I would not think a small car in auto derivitive would be very good)you will have no problem at all. The whole towing experience is much more relaxing particularly if you have cruise control.
thanks you have been very helpful

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It certainly was the case that automatics were very significantly worse than the same car with a manual gearbox, but this was in the days of 3 speed automatics, kipper ties, and nylon underpants. My father had a petrol 3 speed autobox E230 in the early 80's, and the gear changes were just unbelievably bad, so much so that I never considered that company or an automatic for 20 years. And don't even think about fuel consumption...

But a modern 5 speed automatic gearbox coupled with a large diesel engine, both controlled by a well designed engine management system, seems to be the perfect combination as a tow car.

For instance my 2 year old C270 CDI (185 bhp, 450NM torque) automatic returns around 46 to 52 mpg solo, and between 33 and 38 mpg towing. Looking at the book, the manual version improves on these figures by 1 mpg in the city and 3 mpg extra urban when driven solo.

This is an almost insignificant difference, and the ease at which the car drives - both solo and towing - makes me wonder why I didn't get an automatic sooner.

Robert
cheers Robert,one last question do you ever change gearbox oil....i was thinking about large petrol vehicle incidently

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan,

I have towed with both and prefer Auto - best option is as heavy a car as you can afford with Auto, cruise control and gearbox cooler.

You don't get owt for nowt though and they do use more fuel solo and towing - probably about 15% more.
thanks David,I thought all autos had coller fitted as standard

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I have gota Sorento turbo deisel witha 5 speed auto box and it is so much more relaxing when towing and in traffic. It also takes away any angst when manoeuvring on CL sites or putting the van back in her storage slot...no clutch to worry about.

clive

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan,

I've got a 2.5Ltr TDI VW Touareg auto and it tows like a dream.

It has a 6 speed box with the option of normal, sport or tiptronic - the last option gives the driver the chance of changing gear.

On a long run without anything on the back it will return about 30mpg, with the van on the back that figure drops to about 26mpg.

The gear changes are always really smooth and the car is a joy to drive.

Try one!

All the best

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the general view - auto is much more relaxing for towing and without any undue penalties. Just need to check that the vehicle has (or does not need) a transmission oil cooler, but I think all the modern 4x4 come ready fitted.

Cruise control is well worth having and can help the fuel consumption particularly on long and mainly flat routes eg Pamplona to Valencia across the middle of Spain.

The Tiptronic or similar feature of many autoboxes is also very useful for the long steep descents.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
cheers Robert,one last question do you ever change gearbox oil....i was thinking about large petrol vehicle incidently
Alan,

Have I ever changed the gearbox oil - No - modern synthetic fluids only need changing when indicated.

And some auto-gearboxes don't have a conventional drain, you need a vacuum sucker to get the old fluid out.

But if I was buying pre-owned from a main dealer, say a 2 or 3 year old car, I'd get them to change all the fluids as part of the deal and this would include the cooling system and the air-conditioning system - this needs a fluid change every 3 years

Robert

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the choice of automatic for towing and cruise control. Having towed single and trin axle caravans with various cars with both manual and auto boxes the latter is best.

We changed a diesel manual discovery for an d auto and the difference was amazing. Driving became a pleasure as we could concentrate on steering and braking and leave the rest to the machinery.

We have just returned to towing after a 5 year break and presently tow a Pennine folding camper (900kgs) with a VW Golf diesel tiptronic auto. With cruise control engaged at 60 it rarely needs to change gear and returns 45mpg. At this speed we find travel very relaxing compared to life in the fast lane.

By the way. Our the folding camper seems much more spacious inside when open than the 'vans we had and has 2 king sized beds.

Jul 5, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the choice of automatic for towing and cruise control. Having towed single and trin axle caravans with various cars with both manual and auto boxes the latter is best.

We changed a diesel manual discovery for an d auto and the difference was amazing. Driving became a pleasure as we could concentrate on steering and braking and leave the rest to the machinery.

We have just returned to towing after a 5 year break and presently tow a Pennine folding camper (900kgs) with a VW Golf diesel tiptronic auto. With cruise control engaged at 60 it rarely needs to change gear and returns 45mpg. At this speed we find travel very relaxing compared to life in the fast lane.

By the way. Our the folding camper seems much more spacious inside when open than the 'vans we had and has 2 king sized beds.
With the rising price of diesel it is vital to consider economy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts