Autumn Continental Caravanning Advice

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

We are former teachers who are both now retired. Cary, sadly, suddenly and unexpectedly only last week. We had hoped to go away in May/June to the Continent for an extended, 6+ week caravan trip to southern France, Italy, not exactly sure where, and take advantage of the quieter, cheaper season, long summer nights and balmy weather which work commitments previously made impossible. We DO have 14+ years' experience of peak-summer Continental Caravaning.

Unfortunately family commitments and other issues are now making an early summer trip increasingly unlikely. After a VERY difficult year we are, however, loathe to give up miss out on our Continental caravan holidays. We are, therefore, wondering about the possibility of making such a trip beginning in early September. We are, however, concerned that many camp sites and attractions may begin to close once September arrives and know that the nights will be drawing-in and the weather may not be so good. We would welcome any comments from other, perhaps retirees like us, who have experience of Continental Caravaning in the Autumn. We don't need/like all-singing types of sites and are not seekers after burnign sunshine but we do like reasonably warm weather and the opportunity to swim and walk gently particularly in coastal and mountainous regions.

Sorry this is a bit vague but, as other retirees may remember, we are just beginning to feel our way in this new and unexplored "region" of our lives!!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim and Cary

May 12, 2011
Visit site
We went for the month of September last year for the first time, we have always done May/June before. If anything we found it a little busier than the early period. The main site we used was in Burgundy so there was a lot of Dutch/German traffic coming back from the South, the main pool, restaurant, takeaway etc were all open as normal at first only the paddling pool closed. Weather was very good, no rain at all except for the last two days back up near Calais.
However by the 3rd week things slowed down and we left a couple of days before it shut, despite lots of demand. The final couple of sites on the way back were almost totally shut as far as facilities go and it was a case of last one turn out the lights, i.e. no bread, no pool, reception closed most of the day, only one loo block open etc.
I don't understand why the French don't make more of the season, it seems like there is a mad rush by non French to get out before being left stranded once Sept is over, With so few sites open at the end it can be difficult if you have specific requirements like dogs being allowed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Plenty of sites and good weather until at least thr beginning of October. Due to my 'head gardener' being very reluctant to leave all the produce unbeaten, we never go until about mid September. My suggestion for the relaxing time you obviously need would be Provence, particularly Provence Alpes from Sisteron south and east. CC France has quite a few sites - some camping a la ferme.
if you don't mind a longish tow you can get there with a couple of overnights. We use Eurotunnrl about 4 pm and then stay near Boulogne. Next day to Eaux Puisseaux between Troyes and Auxerre, then to Après sur Beuch north of Sisteron via Grenoble. I do use toll autoroutes round Lyon and other big cities.
Another suggestion would be the area south of Clermont Ferrand including Millau, but this is likely to be less tranquil than Provence

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We did Languedoc and Dordogne one September weather was good and evenings still warm. If you search you will find sites open often run by Brits or Dutch but they may be smaller ones without the facilities of the mainstream sites, but we like that sort anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts