Aux 12v Sockets issue

Nov 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi I have an 2011 Eldis crusader tornado - I would appreciate if anyone has any issues before with the aux sockets - the car 12v type ones - i use the external one to pump up my tyres but it stopped working same with the internal ones - the air compressor is ok I tried that in the car - now looked at all the fuses and all ok - is there another fuse lurking at all ? That’s not on the MCB ? Thanks in advance for your help much appreciated

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Look into the socket hole and see what the +ve connection (centre pin) looks like. Some sockets have a metal strips across the back of the socket (inside the connection area which turns up 90deg at the ends and has short arms approaching the plug hole. If yours is like this <and> your compressor has a plug with long side earth connections it is possible for these two side earths to make contact with the hole surround (earth/-ve) and the side arms off the +ve but that <should> blow the fuse.

Don't assume the fuse is good because it looks OK, you should test it by some other means - such as a meter. If your van has just one fuse for the aux sockets that feeds no other circuit/service it is possible there may be a faulty connection on the fuse connection board. This will be a power box disassembly job which you should NOT attempt unless you are competent to do so as there is mains in there.

One last thought: do any other 12V powered equipment in the van - such as the lights - still work? On most caravans there is a hidden fuse in the cable assembly between the battery and power box. If nothing else works this fuse could be blown.

Reactions: Baron Von Greenback
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I have read your posting correctly, you are trying to pump up road tyres with a 12V pump running from teh caravan's 12V system.

You also imply all the caravan's 12V sockets have stopped working, which suggests the 12V circuit has been overloaded ( possibly by the tyre compressor) and blown a 12V fuse.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with caravan you have so I can't tell you where to look for teh 12V fuses, but you should have that information in the owners handbook.

You will almost certainly be looking for either automotive blade type fuses in a bedding locker or possibly glass fuses in the 12V distribution panel.

Reactions: Baron Von Greenback

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts