Avoiding Grantham...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
...Nothing against Grantham but we're off to Sandringham next weekend (9th). We'll be travelling from Nottingham along the A52 towards Grantham, I have previously towed through the centre of Grantham but this can be a bit hairaising on a Saturday with shoppers/parked vans etc, is there a way I can avoid doing this?

Any ideas.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would suggest that you trundle down the A1 to Peterborough take the A47 East, by pass Peterborough, head out to Kings Lynn along the A47 and follow the site book directions from there.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maz

We are booked to go to Sandringham next weekend also, but have a couple of people viewing the van today/tomorrow so hoping to sell and get new one by then.

We live at Cottesmore, I would avoid the centre of Grantham like the plague at the minute as they have the town centre up doing roadworks.

I would do what Neil suggests.

Perhaps we may see you at Sandringham, we have a Green Landrover Discovery and at the minute we have a Senator Wyoming.

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Maz instead of going down the A52 and the dubious joys of Grantham, take the A17 from Bingham to Newark then stay on the A17 all the way to Kings Lynn. The short section on the Newark bypass is the only urban section.

Marc

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for you help, I'll get the maps out to check out some of your suggestions.

Lolly - if you're passing by our van come & say hello, it's an Abbey freestyle with a plain white hitch cover.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maz

Thanks ever so much but we have unfortunately had to change our plans - having now sold our van, we are delivering it on Saturday then of to Kent on Sunday to view the replacement.

Would have been nice to meet you, perhaps another time maybe?!!

Lolly x

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maz (again)!

I forgot to say, the worst bit of traffic I think will be from the Hardwick roundabout in King's Lynn towards Hunstanton - the road is an absolute nightmare. (We used to live out that way)

When are you travelling?

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lolly

We'll be leaving the storage at around 9.30 to arrive on site at about 12.

Agree that roundabout in Kings Lyn is awful, really badly planned, with something like 6 lanes & you have to be in the right lane for Hunstanton. I've done it a few times now, not always towing, and still haven't got the hang of it!

I've just discovered that the day we return, 16th June, is the day of the Grantham carnival, a good reason to avoid the town. We were returning from Sandringham on the same weekend last year and managed to get ourselves + caravan, mixed up with the carnival floats. It was a pain to be held up but quite funny at the same time, we had the windows down and heard the comments of folks lining the route; 'whose sponsoring that caravan Abbey-what' that sort of thing. We couldn't resist doing a regal wave as we passed - well we had just come from Sandringham! Fortunately the van & car were clean!

Sorry we won't be able to meet up Lolly, certainly another time!

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maz

On the approach to the Hardwick Roundabout, you need to be in the middle lane which goes straight to Hunstanton.

I hope you hae a great holiday, if this weather keeps up it should be great!

Certainly hope to meet up sometime, just unfortunate we cannot make this weekend - never mind, replacement van on the cards on Sunday!

Lolly x

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Cheers Maz!

Try not to get mistaken for a float on the way home this year!!

BTW I have let queenie know you are visiting and she said to pop over for tea and cakes!!

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Travelling regularly from Kings Lynn Northwards. Although the A17 is not fast but with all the lorries the caravan is not to blame for the tailbacks.

I would suggest the A17 as the Peterborough way is appreciably longer. As the man says middle lane at the Hardwick as you come down the slope. Just watch for inside idiots cutting across you.

On your return you can go first left and over the top to the A17

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts