Avon tyres - not for caravans !

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I don't understand - and I wish Cooper could enlighten us - what the difference is between a commercial or extra load tyre and an Avon equivalent.

The only thing I can think of is that caravans and MHs tend to stand still unused for long periods of time which could distort the belting OR the rubber is not good or thick enough to stop it cracking in such use.

If a manufacturer has to put out such a statement about caravan tyres when they are one of the bigger commercial tyre producers it probably is a good idea to avoid them anyway!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder what prompted Avon to issue this statement?

Was there evidence to suggest they were being used on Caravans - and were there any failures?
Strange one as most motorhomes are based on commercial vehicles and as long as correct specification tyres are fitted there should not be a problem. Wonder if Avon don’t like their tyres static for periods. But that would affect all tyre makers. More research required on this one.

The Cooper Tyres download just relates to caravans if you go to Avon Tyres UK website.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
i to have google Avon Tyres presently we do not recommend any of the Avon Tyres with use on caravans & Motorhomes for now i am going to avoid them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ironically, the Avon website in their "About us " section of their web site, makes a point of boasting :-

"Avon has been making high quality tyres since 1904, tyres that fit all sorts of cars, motorbikes, vans and trailers"

Whilst we do know caravans are "difficult" they are no more than a trailer. How a tyre would know the difference beats me.

Perhaps Avon Tyres have artificial intelligence.

However as "Coopertires" have made this statement then no one should fit a Cooper or Avon tyre to their caravans.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have not come across this before but there are other makes who are happy to have their tyres on caravans. possibly the best answer is use the same make as the originals, if replacing them. If the tyre maker supplies to the caravan builder, then they can hardly say they are unsuitable.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I have not come across this before but there are other makes who are happy to have their tyres on caravans. possibly the best answer is use the same make as the originals, if replacing them. If the tyre maker supplies to the caravan builder, then they can hardly say they are unsuitable.
The problem with most originals are that they are generally the cheapest budget tyre on the market and quite often they are not available in the general market as we found out on tow different occasions. Probably why some of the budget brands use don caravans are cracking after 3 years. When it comes time to replace our tyres including the spare, we will be looking at a mid range tyre.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The problem with most originals are that they are generally the cheapest budget tyre on the market and quite often they are not available in the general market as we found out on tow different occasions. Probably why some of the budget brands use don caravans are cracking after 3 years. When it comes time to replace our tyres including the spare, we will be looking at a mid range tyre.

For those reasons, I prefer to fit something BETTER than the caravan maker fitted - especially as most caravans are out of warranty by the time new tyres are needed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For those reasons, I prefer to fit something BETTER than the caravan maker fitted - especially as most caravans are out of warranty by the time new tyres are needed.
At one time makers were fitting decent brands of tyre. Swift opted fir Hankook C tyres around 2012 approx. Don’t know what they now fit. But I agree that decent tyres aren’t that expensive compared to budget over a five year life. Say £180 cf £100 that’s £16 per year for peace of mind. Peanuts in the overall costs of caravanning. I am using Hankook Vantra LT C rated. Hankook supply Mercedes cars so that’s okay for me, and if they can withstand WVM they will do fine. 👍

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
At one time makers were fitting decent brands of tyre. Swift opted fir Hankook C tyres around 2012 approx. Don’t know what they now fit. But I agree that decent tyres aren’t that expensive compared to budget over a five year life. Say £180 cf £100 that’s £16 per year for peace of mind. Peanuts in the overall costs of caravanning. I am using Hankook Vantra LT C rated. Hankook supply Mercedes cars so that’s okay for me, and if they can withstand WVM they will do fine. 👍
Caravan makers have been fitting cheap brands for a very long time - back in the mid-80s, ABI were fitting Courier car tyres, which was Pirelli's budget brand.

Of course Hankook were regarded as cheap and nasty at one time but have built their reputation since then.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But after a spate of unpredicted failures the caravan makers upped their game. Is that history now?

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
It is a few years since we replaced any but while they were cheap they had lasted six years and the same make were still available. It was something Chinese,I have forgotten the name though.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
GT Radials fitted new to mine,

I'm assuming they are as Chinese as a Panda practicing Kung Fu on the Great Wall

Seem an okay tyre TBH

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
GT Radials fitted new to mind,

I'm assuming they are as Chinese as a Panda practicing Kung Fu on the Great Wall

Seem an okay tyre TBH

I’ve used their Kargomax ST6000. Made as a specific trailer tyre with that information on the side wall. Had no qualms as they are now a large international company with European development Center. Think they originated in Indonesia.

GT Radial

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts