Avondale Bodywork Cracks

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
We brought a new 2006 Avondale Dart 470-2 but it has developed serious progressive cracks in the body work at the front of the van. The dealer who sold the caravan to us from new tried to persuade us to allow him to just fill the cracks but it was obvious to us that this would not be a satisfactory or long term conclusion.

We would like to know if any of you have had simelar problems, what the repair solution was and also what the aftersales service from your dealer and Avondale was like? We hope to be writing soon about a satisfactory conclusion.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
A friend of mine has a new Avondale. He had a lot of trouble with the body. It was falling apart. Every time he took it out bits kept falling off. He kept taking it back, in the end they found out that it had no supports built in to the frame structure, what ever that means.

I have not seen him for a while so I cant say at this moment what they did. I do know that he still has an Avondale and is satisfied with it.

Edd

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
We used to own a 2004 Dart which also suffered cracks to the rear panel. Avondale sent a guy from the factory out to the dealers to repair, reseal and repaint the cracks , on the understanding that if at any time in the future, irrespective of the age of the van the problem was to reappear avondale would replace the back panel. When the repairs had been done it was invisible, we have since traded the van in but it was for other reasons.

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
We used to have a 2003 Avondale Rialto.

When it was 1 year old it started to get cracks in the top corners of both front and rear panels. They were temporarily sealed up by our dealer while Avondale thought about it, and we did get both panels renewed under warranty (full marks to Barrons for sticking up for us) and after that we were actually very happy with that van until we traded it in earlier this year.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
james

We have a 2007 Avondale argente 480-2 have had it from new. On its first service cracks were noticed on the front panel I told the dealer i was not going to accept any repairs except a new front panel so he got onto avondale who said ok so he fitted a new front and sorted the screws under the edges that are the problem . It now seems ok other body problems have been a new door,new centre front window. so stick up for your rights and get the dealer to insist on a new front.

Norfolk bill

Apr 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi James

We had an Avondale Argente 470/2 2005 model bought S/H which had cracks on the front and back panels. We contacted Avondale Customer Service and were assured that they would do everything possible to repair it to its original condition even though the terms of the warranty would lapse as it is not passed on to the second owner. They were supposed to have sent a representative from the supplier of the panels to our caravan dealer to do the repair with a new tool which was described as "the latest piece of technology". Needless to say after the first weekend away in the "repaired" caravan the cracks returned. There were other major problems with the caravan and we decided to "get rid of it" and bought an Abbey instead which so far has been OK.

We checked other S/H Avondale caravans of the same build year at various dealers and noted that most had these cracks. My advice to you would be to ask your dealer for a replacement, if possible.

Harry

May 25, 2005
Visit site
A friend of mine has an Avondale and cracks were found in both the front and the back panels. It was less than a year old. They have since had the van back to the dealership and have had both the panels replaced under Warranty. I suggest you stick out for the panels to be replaced.

I am given to understand that in the last 2-3 years Avondale 'vans had problems with this. My friend was told that "... the original panels were not the right size when originally fitted!".

It took about 12 weeks for the dealership to receive the new panels so I hope you get the replacements sorted out quickly.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Further to my previous comment, I have been in touch with my friend who had problems with his Avondale.

Aparently the body was coming away from the chassis. In the end they replace the van.

The old one was scrapped, he made sure of that by keeping the log book.

Edd

Apr 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi James

We had an Avondale Argente 470/2 2005 model bought S/H which had cracks on the front and back panels. We contacted Avondale Customer Service and were assured that they would do everything possible to repair it to its original condition even though the terms of the warranty would lapse as it is not passed on to the second owner. They were supposed to have sent a representative from the supplier of the panels to our caravan dealer to do the repair with a new tool which was described as "the latest piece of technology". Needless to say after the first weekend away in the "repaired" caravan the cracks returned. There were other major problems with the caravan and we decided to "get rid of it" and bought an Abbey instead which so far has been OK.

We checked other S/H Avondale caravans of the same build year at various dealers and noted that most had these cracks. My advice to you would be to ask your dealer for a replacement, if possible.

Harry
Hello Harry, I would be very interested to know what Caravan Cleaner you used on your Avondale.

Many Thanks

Derrick

Apr 2, 2006
Visit site
Hello Harry, I would be very interested to know what Caravan Cleaner you used on your Avondale.

Many Thanks

Derrick
At that time I didn't have any chance to use a caravan cleaner. The damage was there before I even got down to cleaning it. BTW I normally use Fenwick's (yellow bottle), cleaner.

Harry

Sep 14, 2005
Visit site
Jo-anne

iam having major problems getting my panels replace and have had 2 cracks repair and they have re appaered. You seem to have a understanding of this problem and your advise would be very much appricated. My van is a Avondale Argente 640/6 2004.

Ian R

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
hi Ian, i have px my avondale in and wouldnt touch another avondale again. i px it in before my 2nd service was due but the day i took it in it was 4 days out of warrenty. the dealer still gave me the same deal as i was going to walk away. i have been told it is a common fault on them from 2004 to 2006 and they have now changed the panels. if i was you i would cut my loses because it isnt gonna get any better. if its costs you money to px it in it will cost you money in the long run to get it repaired and you just might have a fight on your hands with avondale.

Ian if you dont px it in it will get you down just as it did with me. now i have changed it i cant wait for all the hols ive booked and its like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

if you want legel advise ring consumer direct they are part of trading standards and give you good advise.

keep me posted mate and good luck.

sorry i could be of more help.

jo-anne

Oct 18, 2005
Visit site
I know that this subject was some time ago but i had an avondale and it was the same problem with cracking panals front and back and also a top side panal.

Avondale took it back to the factory to have the panals replaced as the dealer was feed up of cracking panals on avondale vans.

the van went to the factory and it came back "repaired" as it were, the panals were scratched and the side panal repair was fixed by sticking a new panal right on top of the old one.

hence this made the van heavier,by some 25kg as i weight the van before it left and on return to the dealer.

Went to the trading standards and the dealer and avondale the van was returned and i got a new van diffrent make lunar best van i have ever had.

the moral of the story never buy an avondale.

steven.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
had the rear panel replaced on my 2003 Dart 515 a couple of years ago. Check back through the search system on the forum. there are loads of discussions on this topic. Most of the cracks ahve been discussed as stress fracturs of the gel coat and will centre around fixing areas and grab handles. The new rear panel i had is fine. The front panel had a gel coat repair done twice and still has a small araes of spiders web cracking of the gel coat under neat each fron grab handle. No damp problems caused by gel coat cracks. If the main fabic of the panel splits then damp will get in. happy to say that so far we've not had this problem. Although side panel hd to be re sealed because damp got in through the join during its second year - exopensive but done under warranty. no more problems. Other tahn that the AVondale has served us well over the last 4 years, with few signs of battle scars and wear and tear.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
james any updates or anybody else with there updates with avondale?.

jo-anne
We have just part exd our avondale rialto 2003. We bought it from a lovely couple who had always kept it in undercover storage and used it for 1 or 2 weeks a year. What a mistake that was! If they had used it regularly or kept it outside it would have shown the problems sooner. As it was we kept it outside and after a few months damp began to appear and we noticed that there were cracks underneath some of the sealant on the front & rear panels. There was also a problem with the rear bunk window which was leaking. We were really angry and thought we had been ripped off but when we took it to our local dealer the fixed some of the faults and said that they were a manufacturers defualt which would have shown themselves years ago had it been kept outdoors and that there were no signs of previous repairs.

It made us feel better that we had looked for all the right things and that we hadn't been ripped off. Needless to say that we lost all confidence in it and would never have an avondale ever again.

We also found that it leaked through the join in the side panel next to doors and windows.

Avoid at all costs. Thank god for a generous dealer who I think in the end felt a little sorry for us!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts