Avondale Caravans NO LONGER!

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

We had a letter yesterday, basicaly telling us they were in discussions with a buyer and that they would let us know more by th end of the week.

They thanked us for iour patience as our houses are repoed and aour kids are starving which was nice.

So all in all we are no better off but should be by the weekend.

I have however heard on the grapevine (a wonderful form of communication) that the interested party is a german Company who look at buying companies in a poor state and building them back up again to move them on in 3 - 5 years. If that is the truth i would say our jobs still wouldn't be safe.

Apr 26, 2007
Visit site
hello there, just been talking to my local Swift dealer and he informs me that Swift have just bought out Autoquest motor homes and are looking at Avondale now,so Podge you never know you might soon be working for Swift.....alll the best Mark

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Well Swift better get a move on then cos by all accounts the germans have gone home to sort the cash out for the deal. They have until Tuesday for their board to agree the deal but they will only be buying the Avondale name, none of the premises or land that they own.

We are due to receive another letter tomorrow but Im sure that wont actually tell us all that much as there still is nothing concrete to tell us

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
had a letter Saturday but didn't reallytell us anything. Apparently the potential buyer has until the end of next week to come up with the goods so to speak. Meanwhile we are still on lay off and be updated as and when there is something to update.

If we aren't back to work by a week on TUesday we are legally entitled to ask for our redundancy.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Well i hope money can be raised ..as to get another job in these times will be difficult

So fingers crossed for good news

((((podge n family))))

Rita

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Nothing more yet Im afraid. Our latest letter on Saturday said that we would be kept informed and gave the indication it would be this week again. If by next Tuesday, we haven't been back to work we would be entitled to ask for our redundancy as we would have had 4 weeks lay off woth less than half our wages. Im sure there will be some members of staff who would do this as I dont see caravan sales shooting up any time soon, no matter who own the company.

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
Hiya Podge.

Still no news!!???

It`s getting to be a bit of a joke isn`t it?, leaving employees in the dark with no wages?.

What kind of company is avondale?

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hiya Spike

I dont think I need to answer that question do I? I think everyone can tell what kind of company they are. Normally I'd give the benefit of the doubt if it was someone else and say that they are going through hard times themsleves but I know what Avondale are al too like.

Its nearly 4 weeks we've been laid off now and its getting beyond a joke. We could go and get anoher job elsewhere but then we could be turning our backs on years of redundancy and I think everyones just holding on to see if that happens.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Podge

I dont wish to cause you any more distress , but are you sure you will actually get any redundancy?

If the companys' in that bad a shape have they provisioned for this? and will that pot of money be used to satisfy the creditors?

Are you and your affected colleagues in any kind of union? or do you have some legal body looking after your interests? Afterall as employees you have a vested interest , hope the news comes soon and you can move on happily

Good luck

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
All I know is that if a company goes pop the redundancy takes months to come through but does actually come from the governments national insurance fund pot nowadays.

To be honest Im getting to the point wherethe money doesn;t really matter, I just want to move on with my life and get another job.

Mar 28, 2008
Visit site
the same happened to me when ABI went bust in 1998 you will eventually get redundancy times the years service ,more if you are over 40 and in lieu of notice one is taxable the other isn,t we finally got settled up about 10 weeks later

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
the same happened to me when ABI went bust in 1998 you will eventually get redundancy times the years service ,more if you are over 40 and in lieu of notice one is taxable the other isn,t we finally got settled up about 10 weeks later
Having been in involved in Personnel Management all my working life for the last 25 years I would be happy to advise on the ins and outs of redundancy and indeed the implications from a staff point of view should Avondale be taken over. PM me

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Having been in involved in Personnel Management all my working life for the last 25 years I would be happy to advise on the ins and outs of redundancy and indeed the implications from a staff point of view should Avondale be taken over. PM me
I would but I have absolutely no idea how to. Let me know please.

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Latest news from Avondale:

The german buyers have pulled out. We are expecting a letter this week.

This is definately got to be in the running for best soap opera of the year!!!!!!

Will keep you updated as and when

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Podge

Sorry to hear that news, I do wish you all the best in finding a new job.

I think that in the next couple of months we will start seeing more companies laying off.

All the best

Allyson

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
For Landroverman and Podge.

I'm afraid that there is no P.M. facility on this forum.

What I could do is to help you to exchange email addresses if you request it.

Best of luck Podge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts