Avondale Caravans NO LONGER!

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Yes indeed, the obvious has happened.

At least now we can all get on with our lives and look for more work. It is out there if you want it, you just have to look.

Thank you allon this site for your kind words and I hope all of you out there with an Avondale van has no problems with warranties etc.

Nov 13, 2008
Visit site
Podge and any other people affected by Avondale's closure.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Obviously this is a very difficult time for you and I'd like to wish you all the best for the future and hope you find employment soon.

Best Regards

Nigel Donnelly

Editor

Practical Caravan

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
As someone who has been made redundant TWICE this year, my thoughts are with the workers. I hope you all manage to find suitable alternative employment very soon.

Just one question.......... How can us Avondale Caravan owners go about locating Avondale's suppliers, so that we can get spares direct - any one got any idea?

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the exception of body panels and internal furniture fittings, ie locker doors etc, the remaining items like water heaters, fires, fridges, windows, cookers etc will be generic to all makes of caravan so spares will be available through your normal dealer or other supplier.

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
Rumour has it that the failing dealer group discover leisure is looking at buying it despite their own position.

You may find out more here:- http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/detail?code=cotn:DISL.L&display=discussion

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Podge

I've just returned from two weeks touring and couldn't help but notice Avondale caravans on site were obvious by their absence.

In fact I saw two. The rest were predominantly Swift and Bailey. Without wishing to upset anyone it has to be asked why Avondale have slipped into the abyss?

Was it :-

1. Poor Management?

2.Poor , outdated product range?

3. Poor reliability and construction?

4. The general recession forced upon us by "USA Trailer park investments"?

I have my own thoughts here but clearly it does not help Podge and his fellow workers who are about to , or have , lost their jobs.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Alan

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
"4. The general recession forced upon us by "USA Trailer park investments"?"

British banks and pension funds freely "invested" in sub-prime debts so we can't blame the Yanks on this one!

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Alan.

Im not surprised by what you say about on site. We hardly ever see any Avondales out now, not that I like looking for them but the kids insist on playing spot the avondale.

I personnaly think hat Avondales demise has come at a time where there are a lot of businesses going under due to the current economic state and therefore it is easy for them to blame it on this. However, I personnally think it is purely down to bad management. Yes these times have taken its toll, but if they had an ounce of sense and business set minds amongst them they would have seen it coming and prepared for it. They have wasted so many years churning out poor quality that they are feeling the brunt of it now.

And as for money wasters. I have never known anything like it. Unfortunately they seem to have no foresight and couldn't see further than the end of a working week and would spend money on a great scheme that looked good on paper but when they actually got it into practice they realised it would't work and leave it at that.

I think the main part of the closure though is down to Mr Christopher Ball not wanting the company. When his Father died last year, many of he work force said then, that the business would close as he was only keeping it going for his Fathers sake. He never actually wanted anything to do with it as all he wanted was to be an accountant but failed his exams, I think 3 times, and therefore his Father made him work his way up from the shop floor.

In all the economy has played into his hands on this one but I am sure he has come out of it pretty well off, as has his directors.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Podge

So we have a kind of repeat of British Leyland.

Initially the products were good eg the Issigonis Mini, 1100/1300, 1800 ranges. And then size 10 boots big head SIR Michael Edwards reinvented the wheel and it all went wrong. Ok the Union played their part but why? Poor management.

So Podge, Is there anything that an MBO by the workforce could salvage and turn into a first class product that could compete on an equal footing with the rest of the market?

Cheers

Alan

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If this Christopher Ball failed his accountancy exams 3 times, that not exactly qualified to run any company. If he inherited his father's investment in Avondale perhaps he should have remained the principal shareholder and employed a Chief Executive Officer to run the company.

Apr 17, 2005
Visit site
Alan.

Im not surprised by what you say about on site. We hardly ever see any Avondales out now, not that I like looking for them but the kids insist on playing spot the avondale.

I personnaly think hat Avondales demise has come at a time where there are a lot of businesses going under due to the current economic state and therefore it is easy for them to blame it on this. However, I personnally think it is purely down to bad management. Yes these times have taken its toll, but if they had an ounce of sense and business set minds amongst them they would have seen it coming and prepared for it. They have wasted so many years churning out poor quality that they are feeling the brunt of it now.

And as for money wasters. I have never known anything like it. Unfortunately they seem to have no foresight and couldn't see further than the end of a working week and would spend money on a great scheme that looked good on paper but when they actually got it into practice they realised it would't work and leave it at that.

I think the main part of the closure though is down to Mr Christopher Ball not wanting the company. When his Father died last year, many of he work force said then, that the business would close as he was only keeping it going for his Fathers sake. He never actually wanted anything to do with it as all he wanted was to be an accountant but failed his exams, I think 3 times, and therefore his Father made him work his way up from the shop floor.

In all the economy has played into his hands on this one but I am sure he has come out of it pretty well off, as has his directors.
Hi Podge, sorry to hear of the closure of Avondale and your redundancy, but in fact I have just bought one! I didnt know of the impending demise of the company and I liked what I seen in the showroom. The dealer didnt mention anything when doing the deal and it was only after returning home did I realise what was going on.

I didnt cancel the purchase and look forward to many years of happy caravanning in it. From what I read I am in a minority as people seem to enjoy knocking Avondales! Well this is my second new one so fingers crossed I'll have no problems.

Again I'm sorry for your troubles and I hope you find something soon.

Avondale owner

Paul

Feb 7, 2008
Visit site
My sympathies go out to all at Avondale and wish them all well for the future.

I must however take issue over the quality debate. I have had an Avondale for a year from new and am very pleased with it.No problems at all ( touch wood). With all thats going on we have been considering trading it in for a new van but I really think the build quality is pretty similar across all the ranges except the luxury models. I looked at a brand new Elddis last week and in all honesty I didn't think that the quality of the internal fittings were a patch on our Avondale and have now decided to keep it for the forseeable future.

If you bear in mind that swift/sterling/abbey on average cost a grand or two more for equivelent models this makes the avondale stack up even more.

Having an Avondale myself we naturally take in interest in other Avondales on sites and I can't say that they appear to less in numbers than others. We were at the Holgates site at Silverdale last month and there were more Avondales than other makes.

My dealer has said he will honour the warranty but whether this tranpires or not in reality remains to be seen.

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ann,

I keep coming back to the wording, The warranty on a new product rests entirely with the seller. Not the manufacturer (unless they sell direct). This is established by the Sale of Goods Act. If Avondale ceases to exist, your warranty under SoGA still stands with the seller.

Manufactures usually offer a guarantee which is in addition to your legal rights under SoGA. This is entirely in the hands of the manufacturer and if they cease trading, then the guarantee also ceases.

In the event that a buyer is found for Avondale, the new owner may use the guarantee issue as bargaining chip in the negotiations.

The company may be worth X amount but if the new buyer also has to take on the costs of guarantee issues, then the negotiated price may be lower.

Podge I wish you the best of luck, I know because I have been through it.
Just because you are covered by the Sales of Goods Act doesn't dealers will comply. The dealer we brought our van from blatently broke the SOGA and isn't making any real effort to do the right thing by us. And I doubt they will until it goes to court. We're lucky to have legal cover insurance but those who haven't may well struggle!

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
The dealer will not have to provide a warranty beyond 1 year (any more is good will). Any extended warranty provided by the manufacurer is beyond the scope of the Sale of Goods Act unless you can proove the fault was present at the time of sale.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Civical - that's my understanding as well - the legal liability to meet the requirements of Sale of Goods Act lies with the selling dealer - as said, that's 12 months unless it can be shown the fault existed when new.

I feel sure that dealers will be carefully reviewing their situation on warranty from 2-5 years - they will have suffered losses themselves from Avondale's liquidation but won't want to lose existing customers - owners with good negotiating skills will probably do better than those that go in shouting !!!

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
My Avondale is coming up to it's third service, with, as far as I can tell, no problems.

When I bought it, I took out a warranty extention insurance policy with Auto Protect caravan insurance, for years 4 and 5,

It excludes "...Body leaks/ingress through any permanently sealed seam..." and "..Delamination..", but covers "..All Electrical and Mechanical components of the Insured Caravan also GRP and plastic panels only fitted as part of the Manufacturers original specifucation..".

Anyone else done this or made any claims?

G

The dealer will not have to provide a warranty beyond 1 year (any more is good will). Any extended warranty provided by the manufacurer is beyond the scope of the Sale of Goods Act unless you can proove the fault was present at the time of sale.⇦br/>

Not necessarily true.

Presumably, the when the van was purchased it came with an advertised extended water ingress warranty? - and that period is stated somewhere in the paperwork or advertising material?

If so, it's an inducement to purchase, and the dealer (or the finance company, if the van was/is financed) is obliged to honour it.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Perhaps this will help. Note price and description which overrides a 1 year warranty;

Key facts

* Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description.

Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Jo-anne

I'm a sceptic and think someone is telling you porkie pies in Coventry.

Just think of the logic here.

No half decent dealer could possibly mistake a Lunar for an Avondale, or could they?? Do you think this dealer will survive in view of what's happened at Atherstone??

A job for the "A" Team I think.

Cheers

Alan

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Jo-anne

I'm a sceptic and think someone is telling you porkie pies in Coventry.

Just think of the logic here.

No half decent dealer could possibly mistake a Lunar for an Avondale, or could they?? Do you think this dealer will survive in view of what's happened at Atherstone??

A job for the "A" Team I think.

Cheers

Alan
Raymond James Caravans in Coventry is owned by the Avondale Group - don't know if they'll survive or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts