AVONDALE CARAVANS!

May 18, 2005
Visit site
Anyone out there had or is having problems with 'stress cracks' on front or rear panels.

Trying to claim for repairs to my 2005 ARGENTE 530/5

Avondale only warrant front and rear panels for 12mths, nothing is mentioned in the handbook warranty section about manufacturing faults or defects.

It seems most 2003 to 2005 models are affected and avondale have repaired or replaced these panels on 3yr old 'vans in the past - - set a precedent I would say, to repair the faults believed to be caused by attaching said panels with screws without pilot holes, thus creating a pressure point to propagate stress cracks......

Any views on this are most welcome, thanks.

Apr 18, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Check with Jo-anne she suffers with stress and cracks as well!!!,she had an avondale dart within those years.Traded it in

after it was repaired?About Jan/Feb time there were threads on here about the same problems as you have.I think they just offered to repair them? You will get some advice on here.

good luck,

Bailey boy FrankE.

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
hello

we too had cracks on the front and rear panels of our 2003 avondale dart.they were repaired under warranty but not replaced.this was picked up at its 2nd annual service by the dealer.

we dont know how long the repairs lasted as we traded it in shortly after after the dealer said they may appear again but in different places.this is very common on them and if you look on the forecourts many of them have the cracks!avondale should be shot for this as they know the problem exists but just bury there heads in the sand.

never again would we buy avondale.

hope this helps

dave

May 19, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I too had the stress cracks in our Dart 556. One on the front left hand side and one high on the back right hand side. I too believe its a common fault (as said above). We sold the van to a dealer in Nov. 07 as it also had damp in the lower back bunk.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why, oh why do you continue to buy this rubbish?

I don't just mean Avondale but all the manufacturers featured on this and other forums....they are having a laugh at your expense.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought my last Swift caravan in 1992, a Corniche, which literally fell apart, walls came away from floor and cabinets away from walls.

Since then I have purchased 4 German caravans, the first, a Knaus, was written off in an RTA in France in 1994 and it's replacement is still permanently sited in France and apart from tap washers and interior bulbs hasn't had a fault to date.

Next in 2001 came a Fendt Platin which up to it being stolen in 2004 hadn't had any faults.

The replacement for this is a 2005 Hobby Prestige which to date hasn't had any faults apart from the cutlery drawer handle coming loose.

I buy my caravans in Germany and have never had cause to return them for warranty repairs.

May 18, 2005
Visit site
I bought my last Swift caravan in 1992, a Corniche, which literally fell apart, walls came away from floor and cabinets away from walls.

Since then I have purchased 4 German caravans, the first, a Knaus, was written off in an RTA in France in 1994 and it's replacement is still permanently sited in France and apart from tap washers and interior bulbs hasn't had a fault to date.

Next in 2001 came a Fendt Platin which up to it being stolen in 2004 hadn't had any faults.

The replacement for this is a 2005 Hobby Prestige which to date hasn't had any faults apart from the cutlery drawer handle coming loose.

I buy my caravans in Germany and have never had cause to return them for warranty repairs.
Been in touch with supplying dealer, them saying that AVONDALE ONLY WARRANT PANELS FOR 12mths! Avondale = same answer(surprise-surprise)

Reading up on rights of purchasers on the BERR website,I may have a claim against Avondale in that the problem could be classed as 'AN INHERANT FAULT' due to the problem being initiated by the manufacturing process and rearing it's ugly head at a later date !

Will try to keep those interested, informed of progress........

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Had the same problem on our Dart 510

Was repaired but we traded it in after the repair and bought a Swift.

Wouldn't touch an Avondale again because we had so many problems with it.

Hope this helps

ian

jo3

Jul 3, 2007
Visit site
Bought a 2004 Dart 510/5 last year privately. Previous owner seemed genuine and had kept the service history up to date, although it had been fairly well used as a family van. We thought we were doing the right thing paying over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
2003 515 Dart

Front panel repaired twice around grab handles and still cracking like crazy. Rear panel repaired and then replacedunder warranty.

Its was alsways explained to me that it was Gel coat being too thin for the stresses pced on it. Just cosmetic not structural !

Loads of info on here about Avondale and other makes with similar problems. search for them it may help

May 18, 2005
Visit site
Help required ! Maybe I can 'open the can of worms' concerning cracks in AVONDALES so if possible, send me an e-mail with age of 'van and date of repairs carried out (time scale from new)

thanks in anticipation......

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi I have to agree with Rod,

uk vans are in the main sub standard with everything being sacraficed for weight and a back up service that is more of a prop up service.We had a fleetwood clarendon and i ruled the day i bought it,stress cracks,bits coming off in my hand and after five weeks permananent use on the continent i had had enough.luckily on the way home we had a blow out and the van being what it was fell apart and we had a payout and after some research bought a new dethleff camper which is not perfect but is lightyears ahead in terms of construction,comfort and ride behind the car.The uk caravan industry is where the uk motorbike industry was just prior to japanese interest and look at the state of that now,its just rushing headlong to extinction with laughable aftermarket support and sub standard morris marina type quality! Overseas we never saw a single uk build caravan behind a foreign car and thats not because uk manufacturers "choose" not to sell there its because they are inferior,short and simple,you pays your money,you takes your choice,

andy

Jun 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi I have to agree with Rod,

uk vans are in the main sub standard with everything being sacraficed for weight and a back up service that is more of a prop up service.We had a fleetwood clarendon and i ruled the day i bought it,stress cracks,bits coming off in my hand and after five weeks permananent use on the continent i had had enough.luckily on the way home we had a blow out and the van being what it was fell apart and we had a payout and after some research bought a new dethleff camper which is not perfect but is lightyears ahead in terms of construction,comfort and ride behind the car.The uk caravan industry is where the uk motorbike industry was just prior to japanese interest and look at the state of that now,its just rushing headlong to extinction with laughable aftermarket support and sub standard morris marina type quality! Overseas we never saw a single uk build caravan behind a foreign car and thats not because uk manufacturers "choose" not to sell there its because they are inferior,short and simple,you pays your money,you takes your choice,

andy
Could not agree more! While UK manufacturers compete to include more and more gadgetry (eye-level microwaves, built in TVs, water-based central heating etc.), and hence more weight, they will just try to save weight in the basic van construction. We've had a Dethleffs for four years and not regretted it once - absolutely solidly built, a dream to tow and easy to live with.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts