Avtex Caravan Television Question.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,
Trying to find my way round our new Avtex TV. Primarily bought to record programmes that we would otherwise miss at certain times of the day. However we have discovered a quirk that may or may not be avoided with some advice from other owners etc. This is that when a timed recording is set up the tv has to remain running, if switched off we find that no recording will be made. I have found that if the sound is muted this it least silences the tv and the recording sound is not affected but I have not found a way so far to switch off the picture. The manual supplied is a bit of a chocolate teapot when it comes to the USB function and trial and error so far has failed to result in what I hope will be a simple answer.
Hoping someone will have the solution.....

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi yes i found that out too,if at least you could get rid of the lit screen but still have the tv on then that would be a bonus.
I guess its more than you can record one side whilst watching the other.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Ive got an avtex about 3 years old and as you can only record the channel your watching and with the TV on bit of a waste of time really youd think left on standby would supply what is needed

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Paul_5041263 said:
Hi,
Trying to find my way round our new Avtex TV. Primarily bought to record programmes that we would otherwise miss at certain times of the day. However we have discovered a quirk that may or may not be avoided with some advice from other owners etc. This is that when a timed recording is set up the tv has to remain running, if switched off we find that no recording will be made. I have found that if the sound is muted this it least silences the tv and the recording sound is not affected but I have not found a way so far to switch off the picture. The manual supplied is a bit of a chocolate teapot when it comes to the USB function and trial and error so far has failed to result in what I hope will be a simple answer.
Hoping someone will have the solution.....

You can record if you leave the TV in standby. You can also record programs for the next day. We tried this when we first got our Avtex and it is a bit of a hassle to set up at first. Biggest drawback is the Sat EPG. We now take our Sky Digibox with us and record programs as and when we want to.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks to all who replied. Surfer you got it right and you win tonights prize!!!
In fact I had a bit of a red face after I called Avtex customer support who told me that after selecting my recordings I should press the red standby button. This switches off the tv but retains the selected recordings.
I thought I had done this before but all that happened then was that no recordings were made, however when I tried this again all was OK and my recordings were made as scheduled. Now after further practice I have become an expert.
Although it takes a bit of getting used to after the convenience of Sky the Avtex is fine and will not now be going back to the retailer!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Paul_5041263 said:
Thanks to all who replied. Surfer you got it right and you win tonights prize!!!
In fact I had a bit of a red face after I called Avtex customer support who told me that after selecting my recordings I should press the red standby button. This switches off the tv but retains the selected recordings.
I thought I had done this before but all that happened then was that no recordings were made, however when I tried this again all was OK and my recordings were made as scheduled. Now after further practice I have become an expert.
Although it takes a bit of getting used to after the convenience of Sky the Avtex is fine and will not now be going back to the retailer!

Paul glad you got it sorted even though it is a bit fiddle. Have you thought of getting a Sky dish and taking your Sky box with you. We converted the single F connector in our caravan to a twin as that we can watch one program and record another. Easy to do. Sat dish takes only a few minutes to set up and no fiddly trying to find the nearest transmitter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Surfer, Have previously looked carefully at satellite dishes etc but although I have a spare Sky box I never felt that in these days of Freeserve a satellite dish would be of any use to us since our trips will never be outside the UK where reception of our programmes would require a satellite dish. The less accessories we now cart around with us the better. Now we have our new Avtex with the facility to record any programmes we miss I think we will have all the TV material we shall need for our typical trips.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts