Awning carpet

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi, newbie here. we've recently updated our van to a great Lunar Jupiter 5 berth, which came with a lovely NR awning. In order to respect our environment I would like to purchase a breathable awning carpet. Having looked around it's easy to get confused. There are many different makes on the market with some also selling breathable underlay. I then wondered why buy breathable underlay and breathable carpet surely the underlay does the job on it's own? and saves me a packet? Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jason,

Tried the breathable carpet once- Don't stand on it with bare feet! The freezing cold water in the ground comes through it and it's horrible! I know some sites ask for breathable ground sheets and we have to honour the owners wishes. But, where you are not asked to use one, have you thought about the lock together carpet tiles oner a groundsheet? They are brilliant- warm to the bare foot, clean and easily swept- make a real difference to that awning. If you have a very large awning of course they can be expensive but in a porch- super! Very light too. I use the holey ones from Kampa as the approach carpet to the awning. Try them, you wont be disappointed.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jason

We bought an eco friendly breathable groundsheet. It was fine, however at the time, we had a four month old pup and I left the pup near the rolled up ground sheet and he chewed all the way through it (the holes were massive and right in the middle of the ground sheet). So we had to buy another one.

I have to say, when the ground is wet, the water does come through, particularly if you are pitched at the bottom of a slight incline like we were once.

The past few years, we haven't really put a ground sheet down in the awning to be honest. But it came in really useful during a long trip to the CCC site at Sandringham (which is sited in a wooded area). The ground was quite hard and pine cones and twigs all over, so we used the ground sheet then and I'm glad we did.

Lisa

Sorry, can't help you decide which actual sheet to use though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts