Awning Condensation

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
On a car windscreen, there are sprays that can be used to prevent condensation. I'll bet no one has considered trying that on the ceiling of the awning. NOTE I would get a can and spray a very small spot to test that it does not harm the material but perhaps that may work.

Comment on prof's comment:
Liners will most likely simply be acting as a sponge
Not so sure. Considering that condensation is due to temperate difference between the inside and the outside, a liner may well act as a "double glazing" affect, keeping the colder air on the outside from reaching the inner surface - obviously increasing the temp of the lining and reducing the difference between inside awning air and liner surface temp, reducing condensation.

My next comment is, since condensation in essence depends on 2 main factors, moisture in the warm air and temperature difference between surfaces, reducing the moisture in the air will help. This can be done in 2 ways:

Leave as many ventilation panels open as much as possible, providing water would not be able to get in should it start raining. On a kampa there are 2 hidden air flap vents at the top on each side especially to allow warm air out to prevent condensation.

Reduce the amount of moisture in the air. A lot of this will come from the damp / wet ground. To prevent ground moisture rising inside tent and awnings a plastic underlay can be put down, these are called footprints .

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
No such issues with our Vango Kalari. Occasionally a fine haze of condensation on the inside of some of the plastic windows first thing in the morning, but nothing more.

Edit: Good point raised by Grey13. We always use the “Carpet”, which is a woven polypropylene fabric and undoubtedly prevents the warmer air rising from the ground as the ambient temperature drops.

I’d be curious as to whether or not the OP is using a “carpet” or other impermeable ground sheet.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Icaru5 said:
No such issues with our Vango Kalari. Occasionally a fine haze of condensation on the inside of some of the plastic windows first thing in the morning, but nothing more.

Edit: Good point raised by Grey13. We always use the “Carpet”, which is a woven polypropylene fabric and undoubtedly prevents the warmer air rising from the ground as the ambient temperature drops.

I’d be curious as to whether or not the OP is using a “carpet” or other impermeable ground sheet.

Good point Lc ! Like I said in a previous post we sometimes have a slight bit of condensation but it's normally gone after I open a door on the awning first thing , but we have a thick carpet down to keeping the damp at bay , we also don't have anything covering the alloy wheel, which allows for a bit off air circulation . (we have an awning skirt but it's off the old smaller caravan so this one is cut to size so the wheel bit off draught skirt is missing)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We have two light weight awning , unless its going to rain, leave the awning open, , for us it just a cover for the chairs and table, but we use a the perforated neoprene flooring that the grass can grow through 50 cm interlocking panels, . So if more than three days, or more, move it by a couple of inches. And no harm to the grass.if we are away for three days half of the awning are is covered ,if its a week , and going to be wet the cover all the awning area. If its dry then, just leave the grass or Gravel open. depending on the pitch never any Condensation problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Grey,

The condensation reducing sprays as far as I can ascertain, do not actually reduce condensation, but they reduce the obscuring effects of condensation. Normally condensation forms droplets of water which tend to hold their shape due to the surface tension of water. that means each droplet forms a small lens which distorts the passage of light through it. The sprays tend to break down the surface tension, and that causes the condensation to form a thin regular film on the surface. If the spray was used on a fabric its likely the moisture would find it can wick into the fabric more easily, rather than standing proud.

Your point about a liner acting like double glazing, may have merit, but its not easy to fully explain, becasue the dew point of air is a combination of the level of relative humidity, air pressure and temperature differentials. How the absorption of the liner would affect these in relation to the air trapped between liner and the outer skin is not a simple linear function.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
For the record and to save the Prof’s fingers and keyboard a simple linear function can be explained very easily.
In calculus and related areas of mathematics, a linear function from the real numbers to the real numbers is a function whose graph (in Cartesian coordinates with uniform scales) is a line in the plane.[1] The characteristic property of linear functions is that when the input variable is changed, the change in the output is proportional to the change in the input.. In some situations the addition of a bypass modulator valve to one of the Kampa air inlets may adjust the pressure within the tubes which in turn may change the disproportionate tensile strength of the roof fabric. This in turn may alter the amount of condensation experienced ;) :whistle:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
For the record and to save the Prof’s fingers and keyboard a simple linear function can be explained very easily.
In calculus and related areas of mathematics, a linear function from the real numbers to the real numbers is a function whose graph (in Cartesian coordinates with uniform scales) is a line in the plane.[1] The characteristic property of linear functions is that when the input variable is changed, the change in the output is proportional to the change in the input.. In some situations the addition of a bypass modulator valve to one of the Kampa air inlets may adjust the pressure within the tubes which in turn may change the disproportionate tensile strength of the roof fabric. This in turn may alter the amount of condensation experienced ;) :whistle:

Do you mean, pump up the tubes and the roof gets tighter. :S

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Prof Right it is complex. However one thing II can guarantee is that in the main, the temp of the awning exposed to the cool outside air will be colder than the lining surface temp, (air gap insulation) which by default must reduce condensation.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Dustydog said:

Well, Sir Dustydog,

What is the point in telling us what we have all known since before learning to tie our own shoe-laces?

:p

( I only wear slip-on shoes or sandals, :blush: )

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Why is it then that we don't get condensation in the winter months, no ice inside our awning in December, in the UK that is.

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Icaru5, no I wasn't using anything to cover the floor - but I will be next time! After many days searching (seems Kampa don't forecast sales too well) I tracked down a roof liner and I've also purchased one of Kampa's woven floor mats so hopefully I'll have a condensation free awning on my next outing. I'll be reporting back afterwards!

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hutch:
Perhaps, in cold weather the air is dryer.
Perhaps, in cold weather the temp difference between inner layer and outer layer is smaller, all very cold, hence less or no condensation.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I tracked down a roof liner and I've also purchased one of Kampa's woven floor mats so hopefully I'll have a condensation free awning on my next outing. I'll be reporting back afterwards!

I wouldnt bank on it, we have the Kampa liner in our second Air Pro, both the original and now this one suffer terribly from condensation and we find that all the liner does is collect the moisture in a couple of places and then it drips through. it certainly didnt help or reduce the condensation.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thingy said:
I tracked down a roof liner and I've also purchased one of Kampa's woven floor mats so hopefully I'll have a condensation free awning on my next outing. I'll be reporting back afterwards!

I wouldnt bank on it, we have the Kampa liner in our second Air Pro, both the original and now this one suffer terribly from condensation and we find that all the liner does is collect the moisture in a couple of places and then it drips through. it certainly didnt help or reduce the condensation.
Kampa know full well their air awnings are fundamentally flawed and arguably not fit for purpose. Until I bought my Kampa I had never needed a roof liner to allay the condensation. Mine is on the loft awaiting sale in the future.
Maybe it’s time Kampa considered a full,blown product recall. Those who have purchased from a dealer may be able to recover their monies under the Consumer Rights Act. Does seem a large number of owners are experiencing similar problems :(

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Thingy said:

Kampa know full well their air awnings are fundamentally flawed and arguably not fit for purpose. Until I bought my Kampa I had never needed a roof liner to allay the condensation. Mine is on the loft awaiting sale in the future.
Maybe it’s time Kampa considered a full,blown product recall. Those who have purchased from a dealer may be able to recover their monies under the Consumer Rights Act. Does seem a large number of owners are experiencing similar problems :(

Please not a "full blown product recall" my ear drums couldn't take the successive explosions!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Dustydog said:
Thingy said:

Please not a "full blown product recall" my ear drums couldn't take the successive explosions!
:woohoo:

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Just to kick Kampa when they are down... we had a similar experience with a Kampa drive-away air awning. Thing leaked terribly. Went straight back to the shop. Was replaced with a Vango equivalent which was much better.

Dustydog said:
.... Mine is on the loft awaiting sale in the future...

If you wanted to give it away, I would take it off your hands! :evil:

TRENDING THREADS