Awning light issue on 2011 Lunar Delta TI

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have an ongoing problem with our awning light. If you switch it off, you can still see it glowing. The only way to switch it off completely is to use the master switch which is not ideal. Dealer said it was a known issue with the loom and ordered a new loom. This has not cured the fault although the dealer told us it was fixed when we collected the caravan after they had it for about 6 weeks waiting for the loom.
I am not sure whether the light staying on indicates an earth leakage however I am not sure what sort of drain it is creating on the battery as the last time the dealer had the caravan, we kept get low battery alerts from Phantom. This was during the Christmas holiday shut down. The battery is about 18 months old.
Can any one throw any light, excuse the pun, on the issue?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Is the bulb an led?
I would remove the bulb and see what voltage you have at bulb holder?
Is the awning light controlled by a switch?
Could be a faulty switch leaking a very small + voltage?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As the light is a 12V one it will only have Positive and Negative wires No earth.

For the light to glow it must be getting some positive voltage from somewhere, but not the full 12V. There must be some wiring fault somewhere in the caravan. My suspicion would initially fall on the 12V control centre where there are so many wires and other indicators and devices that could possibly interfere.

Michaels suggestion of removing the bulb to measure the voltage on the bulb terminals would be unlikely to reveal the source of the power. But it might tell us something about the nature of the supply. Measure the voltage across the bulb, and then remove the bulb and measure the voltage across the terminals in the lamp holder.

As Michael suggest it could be the switch that controls the lamp, which could be leaking a small current to the bulb

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I have since found that the issue is caused by Lunar wiring the caravan incorrectly as the awning light can be activated via the same remote for the alarm.
The facts of the matter are as follows. When Lunar started fitting the Keen Protector alarm they and BCA Leisure (who made the wiring harness) decided to ignore the Keen wiring diagram (as per the website and installation instructions) and fit the awning light switch in the van in parallel with the Keen alarm’s transistor switch.
The correct way would have meant that when the awning light switch was off, the awning light could not be switched on (either intentionally or accidentally) with the light button on the fob. So you would not have a glow when the light was switched off with the switch in the van.
The glow is caused by the very, very small leakage current through the transistor switch. This current is only 25 micro Amps (25 millionths of an Ampere), so it can be ignored as it is 1,000 times smaller than the current the alarm itself draws.
It is a surprising fact that these LED awning lights are incredibly sensitive and light with such a tiny current. Pity the dealer did not make much of an effort to resolve a known fault resulting is us having to do another 40 mile round trip!

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
We have a 2012 Lunar Quasar-based dealer special with remote control LED awning light, operated from the alarm fob like yours, but don't appear to have the same problem. The van model design is several years old so perhaps the wiring loom is different.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts