Awning Light Rusted Up

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have just removed the plastic cover of the awning light ( on the side of the van ) to try and find out why it had stopped working. Both of the bayonette lamps had rusted into the holders and the spade connectors were also rusted over. I've managed to remove the lamps and purchase a new pair but am concerned that the same will happen again, even after I've sanded all the rust off.

Has anyone had this problem and devised a remedy ?

Can I spray WD40 on the lamp/connectors or will this cause a short?

Also how can you properly seal the cover and still leave it removable ?

Thanks,

Mike.

( P.S Van is a Bailey Ranger.........only 18 months old !! )

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mike - any evidence of where the moisture is getting in?

Do not want to alarm you but is it not a bit worrying on such a new caravan?

When changing a bulb on the exterior lights I routinely use WD40 on the wires and metal but it should not be used on the rubber seal as it will make it "rot" quicker.

I use a smear of vasaline (actually Lloyds Chemeist generic equivelent) on both sides of the seal - that works fine.

I would be tempted to get a damp meter probe if possible in the access where the wiring loom enters the lamp housing.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

I'm going to agree and disagree with Clives' usually excellent comments.

Certainly agree that you need to investigate why the awning light has rusted so quickly. It could simply be condensation and / or that the drain hole in the bottom of the lamp has become blocked.

Disagree about the use of vaseline and WD40 on rubber based materials. Rubber is prematurely aged / swollen / cracks up when treated with petroleum hydrocarbons - and since Vaseline is petroleum jelly and WD40 is (expensive) paraffin oil in a spray can - these will attack any rubber bits in the lamp.

A silicone based oil is the right product to use on a rubber seal - like Thetford Blade Seal lubricant - a pure silicone oil normally used to treat the rubber blade seal on your caravan toilet. Camping shops sell a 100 ml bottle of this for around

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
My awning lights packed up at the weekend (both sides)and I can't for the life of me see how to change the bulbs. Access is from the inside and I pulled, twisted and tugged the bulb to no avail. Perhaps its corroded in but I can't see how it releases. Are all these special awning bulbs the same type? be glad of any tips. tks...

(PS. Don't even know if the bulbs are the problems, but it's not the fuse)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

Simple point but as both have gone - are you sure the isolator switch is in the correct position?

Our Aux2 switch cuts off the power to our exterior lights. I always assumed that this was so we could turn them of once inside the van rather than turn them off outside and stagger about in the dark trying to get in!

But once, I did think the bulb had gone when it would not work - until I remembered to set the Aux2 switch to "on".

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Clive,

Petroleum oils only affects natural rubber on prolonged contact - so we won't go there - and no one would believe you anyway.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My awning lights packed up at the weekend (both sides)and I can't for the life of me see how to change the bulbs. Access is from the inside and I pulled, twisted and tugged the bulb to no avail. Perhaps its corroded in but I can't see how it releases. Are all these special awning bulbs the same type? be glad of any tips. tks...

Hi Colinn,

I had a real job getting my light cover off and for a while thought it must have been fastened on from inside the van.

However, after a bit more wrestling and 'squeezing' of the cover, it did come off. It was held tightly in place with the plastic 'barbed' clips at the top and bottom.

I thought that both of the lamps had blown but after a rub down with wire wool, both tested ok. Both the lamps and holder had rusted over and consequently broken the circuit. I've managed to clean most of the rust off, given the holder & lamps a squirt of WD40 and 'hey presto' the lights have come on !

The only problem now is that the male spade connectors from the two lamp holders is so badly rusted, that I cannot remove the female connectors to replace them.

Maybe I should contact Bailey and see if they will replace the unit as a gesture of good will ????????

I'm still not sure how I'm going to stop water getting in behind the plastic cover though. This could be an annual event, stripping down the light unit !

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site

Hi Mike, my problem is not with the cover, it's the bulb/light unit itself I can't budge...not sure how it comes out...

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Colin

Simple point but as both have gone - are you sure the isolator switch is in the correct position?

Our Aux2 switch cuts off the power to our exterior lights. I always assumed that this was so we could turn them of once inside the van rather than turn them off outside and stagger about in the dark trying to get in!

But once, I did think the bulb had gone when it would not work - until I remembered to set the Aux2 switch to "on".
Thanks Clive,

I'll do some checking on that. As far as I know, I only have one switch that isolates power to caravan exterior lights and I never touch that (last time I did, I was puzzled as to why none of the exterior lights functioned!).

What mystifies me, is how the bulbs come out...

C.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts