awning pole marking

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Every time we go away and put up the awning I say to Pat we must mark them there poles, but do I ever.
Do any one else mark there poles and how, what with ?
When we first got the awning I marked them with a marker pen but have now faded away and I could not remember if number 1 was at the front of the van or the back.
I must admit putting up our awning is the most hated job I have, I never swear honest you can ask Pat but when I put that bl..dy awning up I let rip.
Reg.... sorry.
smiley-embarassed.gif

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
always do this just use eletrical tapeoff diffrent colours ie red tored black to black if you have the same poles but right handed or left red and red and black ect ect this helps with the corner bits that are angled i know this sounds a bit simple but i still see people strugle on site.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Yep dont like agreeing with Forest GRUMP but that is the way I did it when I had a full awning, four differant colours of tape, simples

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Reg and Pat
Forest and Kev Have given you the answer ,sadly I got fed up with big awning and as our family has sadly got smaller we decided a porch awning was the way forward so we bought a Kampa 390 sport Porch awning and is up in 10 ,minutes with plenty of room and is easy to erect depending on cicumastances it could be a one man job.
Sir Roger

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
We wrapped masking tape around each pole(very hard to remove once its been on there for a while)then number each pole with a marker pen.
Coloured insulation tape is then used to mark which is the right and left poles.
Adrian

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Ours has 'propery of' stickers on (a bit like Ned Flanders), these are in four colours, and have a space where one wouold usually write one's name, and instead have front left, back right etc. They came like this from previous owners who also left us some spare stickers. Genius

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have this labelling device and so stick labels such as "right leg"," left roof" and so on, on the poles. Does it help? Not a lot. I think it would be better to put "keep calm" and "have a cuppa" on them.
mel

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
yep coloured tape is the way to go, a multi pack should have 4 or 5 colours in it more than enough for all the joints plus the green and yellow stripped one for the van ends. can't go wrong

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi. depends on the awning we have a dorema 8 of the poles look identical but arn't also the left pole cluster and right pole cluster (the ones where the legs and supports go) are very similar because of the top valance and the angle at which the leg and ridge part go are the same on both sides without knowing which bit goes where they are easy to mixup and you would not know untill half the pegs were in.
one tip for Reg unzip all the removable panels before starting there's less weight while erecting the poles then re zip them before adjusting the poles and pegging down.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
With a small paintbrush, I numbered all the joints so that "1" goes to "1" etc. I used ordinary black paint and made sure that the "6" and "9" were underlined
Happy days!
Regards to all
Derek

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
Mel said:
We have this labelling device and so stick labels such as "right leg"," left roof" and so on, on the poles. Does it help? Not a lot. I think it would be better to put "keep calm" and "have a cuppa" on them.
mel
i agree with mel but mine would be a cold beer
smiley-wink.gif

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
My hubby makes me sign a divorce disclaimer before we start the awning erection. Getting up the new Bradcot is easier than the old Dorema but the tensioning and pegging makes me want to scream. He tensions, I peg, he tensions, I repeg, he tensions again and I repeg again and this goes on and on for the first few days until the thing is perfect and then it is time for it to come down. How come I get to grovel on the ground whilst he gets to stay upright? Mrs Grump x

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts