Awning rail/channel

Jun 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone,

We used our awning for the first time this weekend and we had torrential rain. It leaked, not too badly considering, from the awning rail/channel area. The rail seems a bit bent and battered in places, do you think the awning was to blame, or is it possible for a rail to cause leaking. Incidently the whole outfit is second hand.

I would appreciate some help with this, as we are not sure whether to get a new awning (actually its a porch awning), or whether we need to do something about the bent and battered rail.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Linda

I assume the awning rail is still firmly fixed to the caravan - if not it will need re-fixing.

If it is the channel that has just got bent then Towsure do a great little kit that gives you the proper rail lubricant, a shapep brush to apply it as well as a neat little tool that you cab use to reshape the channel. It is not expensive.

It is a solid "bullet" shaped piece of metal (there are two of them - diferent sizes joined by a metal bar) that you run up through the channel and can use gentle force (I used a ribber mallet) to tap the rail back into shape arround this shaped metal guide. When I used it it worked well resoring the rail to almost perfect shape.

Jun 26, 2005
Visit site
Hi Linda

I assume the awning rail is still firmly fixed to the caravan - if not it will need re-fixing.

If it is the channel that has just got bent then Towsure do a great little kit that gives you the proper rail lubricant, a shapep brush to apply it as well as a neat little tool that you cab use to reshape the channel. It is not expensive.

It is a solid "bullet" shaped piece of metal (there are two of them - diferent sizes joined by a metal bar) that you run up through the channel and can use gentle force (I used a ribber mallet) to tap the rail back into shape arround this shaped metal guide. When I used it it worked well resoring the rail to almost perfect shape.
Thanks Clive,

Thats an excellent idea, I didnt know about the rail kit, we shall certainly get one. We are new to caravanning, and I am very pleased I have found this forum. I am sure it is going to help solve all our hiccups as we go along.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts