Jun 24, 2024
Visit site
Hi,

I've just purchased a caravan for the first time and just getting my head around things. There's a few fixes to be done one being the following.

I've noticed this seal is hardened and broken in places. What should I search for to replace this? From googling I've seen awning Rail protector but this looks more like a seal.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks
Paul

Attachments

• 1000026017.jpg
    1000026017.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Looks to me more like the "roof strap" which seals the front or rear GRP/ABS moulding to the roof - if so it'll need removing, clear all the old sealant, reseal and replace the roof strap.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You can buy it in various widths and colours and in continuous strips by the metre. When fitting leave the strip in a bucket of warm water then use a plastic spatula with thin blade to ease the strip into the channel - avoid overpulling it as you work. As already noted it is solely a decorative screw cover strip. Not sure if the roof strap should also have a cover strip in a wider format?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Should have said you do need to measure the current strip width (mm) and match it in the colour of your choice! I have done strips of mine like over the front window and across the rear panel that had gone brittle and surface sticky over the years!

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I've recently replaced all the herzim strip (some times called screw cover) on all the rails on my van.I found it very flexible .I would recommend once fitted it is l left to rest for awhile allowing any stretch to settle out ..I left mine over night..also the strip on window rails and door frame are a different size and profile..I have put a post under "VINTAGE" on this forum with regard to awning reseal...Good luck Gary

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
FWIW I had multiple sizes/styles on my van, so I ordered 1m of each possible type from them (including making sure I covered the options too for grey vs silver) and ended up buying 2 different sizes to cover all my trim.

I also resprayed the little plastic end caps at the same time. Looks great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts