Awning rail

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Some skank has tried to break into my van using a screwdriver (I think) & damaged the alloys around the door can it be fixed & where can I get the rail from
BTW how can I put pictures on?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Goose, try this link.
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/our-website/48966-how-to-photos

Hutch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Goose, try posting your photos in the Photography section Test photos. You can mess happily there, oh and try preview before posting. It will show the photo. Good luck.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
It depends on the damage as to if it is repairable so photos are needed. If it is not repairable then you may have to order from a dealer but not sure what make and model you have or its age. The alternative is search on caravan breakers and you might be lucky. I would assume the rail will be common to all versions of that model and possibly all or most caravans for that year from that maker and even others but that needs more work.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I have asked 8 caravan engineers if they can repair it and only 2 have got back to me as far as the pictures go well i have given up on that☹️

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
swpostie said:
http://www.towsure.com/awning-rail-...ice=t&gclid=CLeWzcOe0swCFZUW0wody1EHhQ[/quote
I think the OP means the 'aluminium trim' around the doorway rather than 'awning rail' by his description. We will await the promised photo.
Been called a lot of names before but never a OP BTW what's it's stand for

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
goose said:
WoodlandsCamper said:
swpostie said:
http://www.towsure.com/awning-rail-...ice=t&gclid=CLeWzcOe0swCFZUW0wody1EHhQ[/quote
I think the OP means the 'aluminium trim' around the doorway rather than 'awning rail' by his description. We will await the promised photo.

it is a acronym or shortened version of "the person that made the opening post of a thread"

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
goose said:
WoodlandsCamper said:
swpostie said:

OP= Original Post(er) ........so nothing to be concerned about ;) :)

Edit ; Colin beat me to it, his is the Yorkshire version and mine is a Devon version :lol: :lol:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What make model and year is your caravan?
Bailey have quite a good spares service.
Is the door frame aluminium that's damaged or the door itself as well?
Please try the photos. It is easy if you follow the instructions step by step.

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
I had this happen to me. As the aluminium is quite soft, it stretches, making it difficult to return to its original shape. You can get it pretty close however, but the surface will never have that even matte finish look again, as there will be marks remaining from the bending. Depends whether that bothers you.

You really need to use a small hammer and dolly behind the section you are knocking into shape. The dolly doesn't have to be a professional piece of kit - any suitably shaped metal plate will do if its heavy enough not to bend as the aluminium is struck. Always work form the edges of the damage in towards the worst section, not the other way round.

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Thankyou for the helpful replies the best way forward is to cut it out buy a new piece and replace it.
Does anyone know if the rail is the same on all caravan door surrounding or is the the awning attachment rail the same?
Many thanks

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Goose's damaged door :)

[img size=600 x 600]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l597/mrfleety/damage%20door_zpsgfbsbcl6.jpg[/img]

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Goose, OP , Original Poster, , BTW , your abreviation, hope you get the alloy door frame sorted , surprised that local guys cant replace the alloy trim, should be a simply repair.

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Hi Goose, OP , Original Poster, , BTW , your abreviation, hope you get the alloy door frame sorted , surprised that local guys cant replace the alloy trim, should be a simply repair.
It's probably not worth their while doing it

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If you were in Bedfordshire we have a great repair company, Caravan Company , Wavenden. Father and Son and Mark. Repaired our awning rail after SWMBO removed it coming out our storage.

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
If you were in Bedfordshire we have a great repair company, Caravan Company , Wavenden. Father and Son and Mark. Repaired our awning rail after SWMBO removed it coming out our storage.

I live in the Bolton and there's plenty of technicians about but with it being a small job i cannot get anyone to do it & dare i ask what SWMBO stands for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts