Awning shenanigans

May 14, 2017
Visit site
Ok not sure if i'm just being stupid or not..The scenario is we pitched the awning (Outwell Mirage 400sa) on the caravan last time away and it went up pretty easy, but the side nearest the A frame didn't quite touch the ground, leaving a gap about 4-5 inches high. Is this just a trait of Air awnings when the ground slopes slightly towards the road or am i missing something obvious?
Outwell are usually quite good in the sense that a lot of their tents and awnings have pitching videos on their website but the Mirage doesn't.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
kerbdog said:
Ok not sure if i'm just being stupid or not..The scenario is we pitched the awning (Outwell Mirage 400sa) on the caravan last time away and it went up pretty easy, but the side nearest the A frame didn't quite touch the ground, leaving a gap about 4-5 inches high. Is this just a trait of Air awnings when the ground slopes slightly towards the road or am i missing something obvious?
Outwell are usually quite good in the sense that a lot of their tents and awnings have pitching videos on their website but the Mirage doesn't.
no not stupid. it's in the science. when you select the right awning it is measured from the ground front to back with the van level. the maximum height of the van is then set at 3 points the front, the back, and in the middle. when pitched on a slope the increased angle of the chassis in relation to ground increases the height at the lowest point of the slope. this then moves the central point of the awning [that was in the middle] further forwards. so both the front and the middle are then higher this unbalances the height of the inflate'able legs as these are a set length. [unlike poles that are adjustable] so it is harder to compensate for the height difference front to back. it can be done but takes a lot of practice. we had a awning with set length carbon fibre poles and this was the same on uneven ground.
the best option is to choose level pitches when possible if you can.

TRENDING THREADS