awning size for best fit

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I hope someone can help me decide the best size awning to go for when I change vans in near future. The van is a Swift Callenger with awning size of 963cm and the Bradcot sizes are 930cm to 960cm - 960cm to 990cm. The problem I have is, do I go for the smaller one which is 3cm under or go for the larger one which in my opinion will be too big. Bradcot would put 963cm in the larger size bracket and I dont want spend money on an awning that that looks like it was erected blind folded. My current van/awning has this problem and I want to get new outfit looking right this time. I want the Bradcot and my local stockist said he would opt for the smaller size and would be ok, but weve heard that one before, so any help here much appreciated.

Geordie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would go for the smaller size as it will peg the awning tighter making the roof taut.

The larger size will probably allow the roof to sag and gather pools of water which may cause the awning to collapse.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I beg to differ. Despite manufacturers claims I have yet to find an Awing that does not shrink. The longer Awning gives a better coverage wher the ground drops away if you have to jack up the awning side of the van.

You will only have 13 cm or 5" to spare each size and no way should that be a major tensioning problem!

Taking it that the awning and fixing keder (the beading) shrinks you will end up with a better option with the slightly larger Awning.

If you end up with an awning that is away from the ground at the van, that can let the wind under the sides or you find that you can not peg it down properly and then it will also sag and collapse!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rod & Cris, thanks for your opinions, two heads are better than one as they say, but my problem is just the thing you mention Cris, and that is, my current awning is of the larger size bracket and when erected the end panels with the windows & curtains slope down approx 4/5" from the outer edge inwards towards the van, and even the front(panel) is lowered as much as possible with no skirt visible. On uneven ground the problem looks ten times worse. My thinking was, that 3cm short would only mean seeing more of the skirt because of the shorter length, but maybe Im well off the mark here.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Different manufacturers vary. If the awnings are in your dealers stock I would see if you could run a tape around the keder and see where the mudwall was and then run the tape around the extrusion on the van and work out which suits your needs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts