Awning tensioner

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As far as I can tell ALL Dorema awning roofs sag. I've had mine altered by Dorema and it still fills with water in the slightest rainfall. I also use a Hercules but with no improvement.I intend to make up some curved poles to fit in the roof of my President Vario.Great awning but not for stormy weather!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I would not use one. I have heard of 3 people who have had to have the awning rail re-sealed at the end of a season because the tensioner has been used with a little to much enthusiasm.

I honestly can say that the 5 times we have used our 1050 Dorema, we have never had the problem of water collection on the roof. However, we where new to awnings when we started using it and followed the instructions completely.

Steve

May 4, 2005
Visit site
We also have a 1050 Dorema and have had the saggy roof. I now peg one side and then pull the awning back though the awning rail to make sure it is really tight and it seems to have cured it.I don't think its just Doremas that do this as I had the same problem with my old 1000 Inaca. Brian.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I could be wrong, but I think the problem of sagging roofs may be because we tend to buy awnings which are slightly too big, making it very difficult to fully tighten the material.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craig,

You are 100% right, hit the nail on the head.

Unless you can stretch the awning taut with the pegging ladders/rubbers under tension, any awning will collect rain water on the roof.

Sometimes it is difficult to choose the correct size awning, my "A" measurement is 988cm and the options are 975cm versus 1000cm, even Isabella would not commit as to which I should buy.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, I have a Dorema Madison at around 960cm and compared to my previous Dorema this one is quite difficult to tension so that the roof does not collect water and slump inwards. However Dorema were very helpful in giving advice and I also bought a Hercules tensioner from Towsure and the last time out the roof was no problem at all. You have to be sensible with the tensioners and it is best to erect the awning first in accordance with the mfrs instructions and then progressively go around it with the tensioner using the little by little approach, which does give the roof slightly more tension that I can get manually, which is just enough. My previous Doremas have all worn well and have only been changed due to a van change.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
I bought a tensioner, but when I went to use it, it bent the clamp backwards. The instructions tell you to put the rubber bits onto the pole itself and then the metal loop up against the clamp the then pull back. Whrn I tried thsi it started to bend the clamp. Does the clamp have to be finger tight when doing the tensioning or quite tight?

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
I bought a tensioner, but when I went to use it, it bent the clamp backwards. The instructions tell you to put the rubber bits onto the pole itself and then the metal loop up against the clamp the then pull back. Whrn I tried thsi it started to bend the clamp. Does the clamp have to be finger tight when doing the tensioning or quite tight?
Hi,

the clamp should only be finger tight.

Aug 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi I use one with my Bradcot, excellent piece of kit, don't overdo it though.

If the rubber wears out replace it with a bit of hose pipe, it works a treat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts