Awning Tie Down/Storm Strap

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
This maybe a bit like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted! but Where can I get a tie down or storm strap to suit my Wyoming ?

I've seen lots in the shops etc but they don't appear to be long enough (an 11mt strap is good for upto 6m awnings according to the packs) but the Wyoming awning is 11m or have i miscalculated?

Thanks

Nick

PS The campsite where my van is on seasonal has just called to say my awning has collapsed,:-( I was using the built in external storm straps and some internals on the corners- I'm expecting the worst.....

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
I use those cheap rachet type straps. Putting the tape round the frame and pegging either inside or out side as convienient.

The last pair I bought cheap (probably lidl / Aldi) were bright yellow which helps te trip hazard. With these you can be sure the frame is will bolted down, as a back up I did use the typical strap over tape to hold the awning to the frame.

We had gales 10 days ago in Scotland and this worked OK. The problem we did have however is keeping the pegs at the bottom of the awning in the ground even though I was using 9" steel pegs.

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Blessed relief, awning had collapsed but damage is limited to a small scratch (should polish out) to the side of the van and one bent pole :)

On a serious note, the integrated clip in storm straps had disintegrated! the actual clips were still attached to the awning but the webbing was like tissue paper, I guess due to weathering?

Anyway a local shop had a couple of Sunncamp storm straps which were actually long enough to go over the awning in the time honoured fashion, these coupled with all new guy ropes and a couple a ratchet straps inside on the poles will keep it all in place.

I also resecured another 6 awnings on other vans that were in danger :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts