Awning

Feb 15, 2020
Visit site
I have a Sunncamp swift 260 deluxe porch awning and the instruction are a little vague. My question is, should the bottom flaps be pegged facing out or should they be pegged folded in? I have seen them pegged both ways whilst on sites.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have the Sunncamp 260 but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by bottom flaps. Do you mean the folding sections at the bottom of each wall - usually called an external mud wall?

If so they should be pegged outside so that any rain coming off the roof and walls runs away from the awning. I'm not quite sure of the logic of pegging them inside but if it works for you why not.

Capture.JPG

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have the Sunncamp 260 but I'm not entirely sure what you mean by bottom flaps. Do you mean the folding sections at the bottom of each wall - usually called an external mud wall?

If so they should be pegged outside so that any rain coming off the roof and walls runs away from the awning. I'm not quite sure of the logic of pegging them inside but if it works for you why not.

View attachment 1717
I have always done it this way like in the picture ;)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Flaps inside and then the groundsheet can lay over them. However looking at that pic, I cannot see any external pegging points. I assume they are there, cant see them being inside.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Pegging points are stetchy rubber loops on the corners of each flap. Each flap overlaps the adjacent one.

This was the first time we put it up so not perfect. The pegs that came with it were useless on hard ground and we needed a lot more than supplied

0P2A7759.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If the pegging points on the mud flap are inside then the mud flap goes outside, if the pegging points are on the outside then the mud flap goes inside, you can’t do it any different surely

Reactions: Thingy

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I can only write about my awning.

Each wall has pegging points at the bottom which can be inside or outside These are pegged down first.

Each wall has its own mud flap at the bottom. You could conceivably fold these inside or out but because they are longer than the bottom of the walls they would not fit properly. They are shaped to be overlapped at the corners.

The pegging points on my mine are at the corner of each flap....see previous photo.

They are intended to be pegged on the outside in order to deflect rain away. I can't see what purpose they would serve being inside.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I should have also said that on mine the mudflaps would not really be suitable for folding inwards because of the pegs for walls and the air beam legs which would prevent this.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have never felt that pegging them outside succesfully combats the rain. In light rain the defelction isnt necessary and in a downpour its going to run under anyway from the surrounding ground. I prefer to seal inside with the groundsheet overlaying the mud flaps.

With our Isabella, you dont have the option anyway. I always think they look smarter when pegged inside and you can get cleaner lines. Then again, Im a percectionist with awnings. It drives my wife mad.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I guess it varys with make. Sunncamp, which we're discussing here, describe theirs as 'external peggable mud flaps' and the design means they go on the outside.

Pays your money etc.......

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I would never peg through the groundsheet. We always use the Bolon Carpet, its too expensive to make holes in deliberately. What we do is use the Bolon grips, which attach to the edge of the Bolon carpet, and then peg the grips down.

s-l300.jpg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I would never peg through the groundsheet. We always use the Bolon Carpet, its too expensive to make holes in deliberately. What we do is use the Bolon grips, which attach to the edge of the Bolon carpet, and then peg the grips down.

s-l300.jpg
We have the Bolon and found that if we make a hole through it, the next time you use the Bolon the hole is not longer there. We also have the above to peg down the groundsheet.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts