Awnings

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have just purchased a Bailey Ranger 500/5 1996 model and want to buy a new full awning. Any suggestions as to make would be helpful. I have discounted Isabellas on price. But am keen to hear about Bradcott, NR, Doreema and any others. Particularly interested in comments about putting up particular makes and any other advantages or disavantages. I appreciate that one man's meat is aother man's poison etc but any guidance would be useful.

Many thanks Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger

I Have a Bailey Discovery 100 with a Bradcot awning which I Find fine, the only problem with it is the instruction or lack of them, basically had to workout myself how to put it together.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger

We had (still have) a Bradcot Classic that we used with our Bailey Beachcomber 470/4. When we changed caravans a few years ago we had to get a slightly larger one, so due to the pricing at the time went for a Dorema Cardinal.

Both my wife and I agree that the Bradcot is the better option. The zips are better, it's better construction and fits better on the frame. With the Dorema the caravan skirt is poorly sewn together and so can't be tensioned properly, the front 'porch' flap bit can't be tensioned and so flaps around in the wind, two of the zips have broken/jammed. and the rain naturally runs off the awning right above the 'doors' on the front. The Bradcot, which we used for 6 years, had no real problems and if I had the money I'd get rid of the Dorema which we've had for 4 years, and buy another Classic.

We had an NR porch awning for a few years which was fine, apart from the stitching tearing in a few places, and our in-laws have a Salou awning, which I believe is owned by Bradcot, and they've had no problems with it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have Bradcot awning with Bailey 500/5. we were given it by the supplier when we bought the caravan new. Great awning with no problems so far having figured out the erection instructions - very basic. Prior to this we had a Harrison awning for many years on an Ace Globetrotter - could not fault it. In fact the new owner of the Globetrotter is still using the same awning. It was excellent value for money.

Good luck and whichever you buy, enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Roger, I would recommend Ventura awnings. I believe they are made in Denmark but the UK distributor is Isabella. They are very well put together. We bought a full Atlantic awning with the fibre poles and were so pleased that we susequently bought the Cadet porch awning. Well worth a look. Best wishes, George T.

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Ventura are designed by Isabella, but manufactured in Eastern Europe to reduce the costs. They are an excellent mid-range awning.

I've got a Dorema Calypso, and it suits me fine, although other people seem to have had problems with Dorema in the past mine has been OK so far.

I've also seen a new range of awnings called Tuscany at Glossop Caravans. Although they are not acrylic sides, and the curtains are a little garish, they do seem to be really competitively priced with an excellent quick-lock steel frame that is much better than anything else i have seen. They are in the Towsure brochure, but I haven't seen them at other dealers yet, and the salesman at Glossop said they were the first to take delivery.

Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roger

I have a Bailey Senator Wyoming and really looked into all the manufacturers awnings before buying an Apache. They are made by the French Tent maker Cabanon who make very good tents, the prices were excellent but what really swung me was the double flap on the mudwall the inner one fits under the groundsheet and the outer one covers the pegs and fixing rubbers etc. We have used our awnings in horrendous conditions and they have remained weatherproof. Because the flaps cover the pegs and rubber toggles ther are no probs on removing them if DOGS have been lifting their legs on your nice awning.

Erecting is a doddle the front frame is pre sprung with a continuous spring and just slots together and the roof poles have a simple yet effective push button locking collar. I was so impressed with the 1040cm one that I bought another smaller one and adapted it as a porch awning.

Regards John

Mar 31, 2006
Visit site
Hi I had Bailey Ranger 500/5 (2000)until last week , we got an Isabella Ambassador awning with fiberglass poles , from the previous owner .This proved to be excellent,as I have swapped my van we are know looking to replace it/trade it in/sell it does any body have any idea what I would get for it.

Apr 27, 2005
Visit site
I dont know where you live but Barrons in Lancashire,Coppull, have a great awning department. They also sell quality secondhand awnings.

Hope this is of some help.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Bradcot Awning came with our Senator and I have to say it is very good, well put together and good fabric. I deal with structural fabrics and it's an OK piece of kit and better than others I've seen.

Mar 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Roger

Just to say look around before you buy, you can get some good bargins. We changed our caravan this year and needed a new awning for our Senator Arizona and after checking a lot of dealers out on their websites went to Mendip Caravans and bought a Bradcott Awning with alloy poles. Instead of buying a 2006 awning we managed to get a 2004 brand new one for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts