awnings

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, i am wanting to purchase my 1st ever awning for my newly aquired caravan (2008 bailey ranger s5 540/6)

but i do not know what size i will need to look at. how do i find the size out?

we are after one that covers the full front.

we want to purchase a 2nd hand 1 from the likes of ebay etc, so is there anything to look out for?

thanks in advance for all help.

H

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
is this the one click here it is showing 998cm.

To double check get a long piece of string and run it in the awning rail from ground at front to ground at rear,
there is a diagram on here somewhere showing it , but cant find it at the moment.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
If you go onto the Isabella website, they have a converter for awning sizes for nearly all current caravans. Once u have an Isabella size you can easily work it out.
http://www.isabella.net/uk/support/search-on-a-measurement

May 7, 2012
Visit site
According to the brochure the awning size is 989 cm. Basically you need a good make that suits your needs and I would want to see it erected to see how it is done and check the condition but might be a problem if buying off e bay..

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Gagakev said:
is this the one click here it is showing 998cm.

To double check get a long piece of string and run it in the awning rail from ground at front to ground at rear,
there is a diagram on here somewhere showing it , but cant find it at the moment.

that caravan looks to be the next series...but i like the idea of the string as a double check...i will do that...thanks

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Thingy said:
If you go onto the Isabella website, they have a converter for awning sizes for nearly all current caravans. Once u have an Isabella size you can easily work it out.
http://www.isabella.net/uk/support/search-on-a-measurement

thanks for the link, that shows mine as 975cm

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Raywood said:
According to the brochure the awning size is 989 cm. Basically you need a good make that suits your needs and I would want to see it erected to see how it is done and check the condition but might be a problem if buying off e bay..

iv got a size of 975cm from the above link? i think the 989 might be for the 6 series?

thats the problem i thought of with buying off ebay gumtree etc..its going to be difficult like that :S

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
You basically need the nearest size that encompasses your measurement, so a measurement of 989cm might be a 990-1000 awning in one make or are 985-995 in another and 975-1000 in a third make.

It isn't an exact fit because it takes into account that to be level, your caravan may have to be raised (or sat in a dip) on the awning side which will affect the measurement anyway.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:

Ray correctly quotes the official Bailey measurement of 989 cm for the OP's unit.Isabella's generally rise in 25 cm increments.
In this case a 975 will be just under 6 inches whilst a 1000 is barely 5 inches over. The purpose of the awning skirts is to make allowance for these small variations.
IMO both 975 and 1000 will be suitable.
Where ever you buy a used awning thoroughly check the canvas ,skirts and ensure all poles and fixings are present down to the last little rubber / neoprene
washer.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
3Very good point made by Dusty on the awning tolerances. Aiming to be somewhere in the middle of the tolerance band is the holy grail. Otherwise, on uneven ground you can end up with a very tight or very baggy awning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Search the ads including PCV for a second hand one that fits plus or minus the dimension. i
In my experience awnings depreciate faster than any othe bit of caravamnning kit and there are hundreds out there.
Never mind the colour, buy the ceapest you can fid and use it for a season.
Afterwards you can always sell it again and get the one that really suits.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
A hardstanding is normally made from approx loose 2 inch sized stones, so you will need rock pegs to secure the base of the awning. If the hardstanding is tarmac or concrete then you can't peg an awning. In this case manufacturers produce door canopies which fit between the upper and lower awning rails see here

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Snap I carry my bag of pegs and hammer and bits and bobs in the back locker like W'C, we sold ours on Gumtree a few months ago quite quickly and bought another one from there to in excellent condition for our new van , I've also got a cold can or 2 to assist me when putting up the awning !! ;)

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Well.....its been a bit mad really. other month i ended up buying a used porch awning (390) and thats been brilliant. Me and the wife loved it and so did the kids.

2 weeks ago i bought a ground sheet for it (did not come with one) for the 12 days away iv just had (actually got back today :( )

Now this is the weird but good bit, 1 morning i said to the wife i wanted to pop into the caravan shop/dealer around the corner, i want a wall mounted soap dish (sad i know lol) so off we went, bit they did not have 1, but i thought lets have a gander at the awnings...WELL...they had a few used/ex demo awnings in some of the new display un's. In the corner i saw it out the corner of my eye,thought it must of been a misprint, a used Dorema daytona size 14 in charcol grey complete reduced from £345 to £200, after a quick chat with a salesman and a double check of my size, i left with it ( i thought it was a bargain and was not leaving without it, even though i only wanted a soap dish!!)

So for 10 days it was constantly getting moved from the car to caravan etc....

on last day of the hols (well last night) me and the wife decided to take down the porch awning and attempt to fit this new awning. turns out no instructions, but good old internet/youtube helped.....well it took us 3 hours is to put it up, mainly working out the poles tbh, which went where etc and looking at this diagaram i downloaded. But just as i was nearly finished another caravaner came across and asked if would like any help/advice (good old caravan folk, always so chatty and helpful, love it!)

So all in all, went up ok, everything is perfect, infact its like new, no wear marks, just odd lil bit of muck. soooo over the moon with it, just need to buy ANOTHER awing carpet now :eek:hmy:

I will be asking a few questions more when i can figure out what site to use to load up a few pics....

sorry for the long rabble on :oops:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Glad you got a bargain, HNB, well done. It will get quicker and easier to get the awning up. If you haven't done so already, mark the poles with different coloured tapes so you know which is which next time.
Mel

HNB

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Mel said:
Glad you got a bargain, HNB, well done. It will get quicker and easier to get the awning up. If you haven't done so already, mark the poles with different coloured tapes so you know which is which next time.
Mel

thanks mel. i have not done the tape thing yet, but next time its up i am going to do it.

only problem i have is the main conopy hangs out the rail at both ends slightly, but i have these big plastic trims, not sure if i need to remove these?

thanks,H

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
You could use the size tool on this website https://www.qualitycaravanawnings.com/collections/full-awnings it's really useful. Wouldn't recommend ebay as often arrive 6 weeks later after being shipped half way around the world!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts