Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi, another (probably) stupid question!
We didn't bother with the awning on our 2 night trial run, but will be using it for the first time when we cross the channel.
Do we thread it through from the bottom of the rail, or halfway up?
Haven't t a clue, the book doesn't say.
Thanks Cath

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You should have an entry point low down on the awning rail at both ends of the caravan. I use the front one as it has a more gentle curvature up to the roof. If its a porch awning you can use an entry point a little higher, if there is one.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Easier as a 2 person job, one feeding gently where the slightly widened section is (if it doesn't exist then feed from the bottom) while the other person pulls it through the rail. Likely to need the steps to stand on to reach pulling it through. AS has been said a full awnig is usually easier to thread from the front where the curve at the roof is gentler.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
WinnieSophie said:
Thanks otherclive. I was confused as it does have one higher up as well.

You should check the rail is clean. There are small awning rail brushes but I use my cars wheel cleaning brush. Not required every trip but I always do it in the spring or after a longish period of unuse. I also apply a small squirt of Pledge or silicon lub and wipe it along the rail groove using a bit of twisted J cloth. But only a very small amount otherwise you could stain the awning. It helps the awning slide along. You can buy proprietary awning rail lub which comes in a small squirty bottle.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If it is a full awning feed from the bottom widened bit. If it is a porch awning we feed from the top widened bit. Generally it is easier to feed from the front of the van to the back as the curve on the front of the awning rail is not as great as at the back.

As you may have heard the awning is better known as “a divorce in a bag”. So don’t try to do it tired and grumpy after a long journey. Get a meal, a sit down and a cuppa, or even a nights sleep before you start. Also tell your significant other that whatever happens next you still love them. :cheer:

(Our awning history is littered with phrases like: Please don’t speak to me like that. I’m not a mind reader, if you want me to hold a pole then say. Why don’t you read the instructions? Shouting at me will not help......and so forth and so on.)
Bon Chance
Mel

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Like anything else, this isnt an exact science, you will find over time what suits you best.

In my case, I always use the higher point, and if it is a full awning, I pull the tail all the way to the high point, meaning too much at the far end, then pull it back through to the low point.

A year or so ago, I tried one of the air awnings, for me it was a total disaster, but I bought a gadget at the same time. Kampa do an awning puller, and being a gadget I just had to buy one, fully expecting it to be a complete white elephant. However, it worked a treat, especially on the air awning which by their nature can be quite heavy and is the only piece of equipment from that ill fated venture I have retained. Well worth twenty quid or so if you find awnings difficult.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm the same as Alan , I've never done it from the front before I always go from the rear and with been tall enough I always use the top hole to go into and I've normally got one of the kids helping me so they just gently pull it round when i say . But yes get all your poles out first what goes where before I even get awning out of the bag and it's a doddle .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If there are other Brits on site you should ask for help as most of us are only too willing. Having said that if you can manage a dry run before you go it would probably be worthwhile.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts