Axle Stands

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
This will be my first winter with a caravan and I wondered what thoughts people have about leaving it on axle stands.
I'll be replacing the tyres and it will be easier to take the wheels away for a while.
Thanks in advance.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. No problem with axle stands with steadies down at the corners. I used to use SGS 4 tonne ratchet stands.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Do check your insurance policy as many insist on wheel locks which clearly cannot be used while on axle stands. I presume the thought is that a thief could arrive with suitable spares to facilitate a theft. Also the risk of getting flat spot through standing was a problem with cross-ply but much less relevant to current radial tyres Keep the pressures checked over winter. When my tyres were replaced I contemplated towing the caravan to a depot, but was concerned about access to some locally, so employed a local 'tyres-on-your-drive' service which were excellent, prompt, efficient, a very clean and tidy transit van workshop. I also had them balanced and there are now balance weights stuck inside the alloys which should presumably be beneficial while towing.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sinc said:
This will be my first winter with a caravan and I wondered what thoughts people have about leaving it on axle stands.
I'll be replacing the tyres and it will be easier to take the wheels away for a while.
Thanks in advance.

Make sure the tyre fitter, whoever you use, balances the wheels.
Many fitters will say that they don't need doing...โ€ฆ...they DO...โ€ฆ.insist they are !!!!

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
Thank you all for the input - all useful tips.

I use 'on the drive' people for car tyres so was going to do the same for the van tyres. They normally balance them as a matter of course - but I'll double check.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If the insurer will not accept the axle stands which should be OK if you fit locking wheel nuts onto the hub you can buy Winter Wheels which is basically a wheel lock that will fix onto the hub although the cost might out you off.
https://www.towsure.com/caravanning-equipment-and-motorhome-accessories/security/caravan-winter-wheels

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have my van on axle stands now, with a pair of winter wheel on (Triangular Shape).
I lift the van onto the stands so that there is little or no weight on the suspension, with the WW just swinging.
As said, check with your insurance, some don't like them.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Where would one position the axle stands on a standard ALKO chassis? On the axle tube or the frame itself? Would you also need to hitch up to the car for safety whilst jacking, etc? For me it would be difficult to hitch up the caravan in situ due to its storage position.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I assume the axle stands should go where the chassis manufacturer suggest you jack the caravan up, so there could be a problem there. Once you have one side on an axle stand then the caravan brakes are useless as you raise the other side so presumably you would need the car attached for absolute safety.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I place the Axle stands under the axle as close to the van chassis as possible,( the stand is fitted before you remove the wheel completely) just high enough to take the weight off the suspension when the winter wheels are fitted. Now I have my van hitched to a hitch post, makes it easier.
Before I had that, I would chock the opposite wheel and wind the corner steadies down enough to allow for the tilt of the van. then lower the caravan onto the stand, then fit the other stand, lower all corner steadies down completely.
Axle stands are safe when in use, when standing on a good base. Van would have to be knocked off, certainly would not fall off.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
I assume the axle stands should go where the chassis manufacturer suggest you jack the caravan up, so there could be a problem there. Once you have one side on an axle stand then the caravan brakes are useless as you raise the other side so presumably you would need the car attached for absolute safety.
Years ago I jacked my then Caravan whilst attached to the towball. The bathroom door wouldn't shut as I think the body twisted. Anyone else had that?
The Al-ko jacking points are very weak. Personally I'd use the axle itself.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to put the stands under the axle as near the axle- chassis mount point as possible. As a precaution I would ensure the jockey wheel was in its slot with the wheel in the straight ahead direction and a breeze block in front. That helps prevent the van moving and slewing. I would also chock the wheel that wasnโ€™t being lifted. And keep going around and to adjust the steadies onto or off the ground.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So all these dealers with caravans sitting around for say 4 months at a time, never notice them turning wheels or putting on winter wheels. :eek:hmy:

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
So all these dealers with caravans sitting around for say 4 months at a time, never notice them turning wheels or putting on winter wheels. :eek:hmy:

With radial ply tyres there is no need to keep turning the wheels when in storage as radials do not suffer the same problem that crossply tyres did.
It is suggested by various pundits that raising the van on axle stands for prolonged storage allows the axle rubber suspension to rest and that it could prolong the life of the axle.

The problems come where the Insurance requirements insist on wheel locks being fitted, which if using the Al-Ko locks is no real problem but other types may be more problematic.

As far as winter wheels are concerned and the Insurance requirement of wheel locks, it would be very unusual for a prospective thief to have the exact right wheels on their transport to replace winter wheels, so that makes fitting of wheel locks rather redundant.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
EH52ARH said:

With radial ply tyres there is no need to keep turning the wheels when in storage as radials do not suffer the same problem that crossply tyres did.
It is suggested by various pundits that raising the van on axle stands for prolonged storage allows the axle rubber suspension to rest and that it could prolong the life of the axle.

The problems come where the Insurance requirements insist on wheel locks being fitted, which if using the Al-Ko locks is no real problem but other types may be more problematic.

As far as winter wheels are concerned and the Insurance requirement of wheel locks, it would be very unusual for a prospective thief to have the exact right wheels on their transport to replace winter wheels, so that makes fitting of wheel locks rather redundant.

When I used winter wheels they had a metal shroud with a barrel lock. When I contacted the CC insurance they were okay with that at that time. However Iโ€™ve not used them fir neigh on 10 years. Too much hassle and I live in the hope that one day we can just hitch up and off!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
Damian-Moderator said:
EH52ARH said:

When I used winter wheels they had a metal shroud with a barrel lock. When I contacted the CC insurance they were okay with that at that time. However Iโ€™ve not used them fir neigh on 10 years. Too much hassle and I live in the hope that one day we can just hitch up and off!

They sound the same as mine. Retired nearly ten years ago and because of medical appointments etc this is the first time since then that I've used them. Like you, liked to think I was ready to go at any time.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Raywood said:
Years ago I jacked my then Caravan whilst attached to the towball. The bathroom door wouldn't shut as I think the body twisted. Anyone else had that?
The Al-ko jacking points are very weak. Personally I'd use the axle itself.

Dusty Dog, the new Alko jacking points are better than the old ones, which are very weak. I would not like to jack a caravan on the old ones , they would fold up, I think someone has a photo.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Dustydog said:
Raywood said:
The Al-ko jacking points are very weak. Personally I'd use the axle itself.[/quote

Dusty Dog, the new Alko jacking points are better than the old ones, which are very weak. I would not like to jack a caravan on the old ones , they would fold up, I think someone has a photo.
Hutch ,it was mine

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/forum/equipment-accessories/46855-how-do-you-level-a-twin-axle-van?start=20#387115

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts