Back on the road again

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Finally after selling our Abbey Freestyle to a couple from Gloucestershire of summer (well i think it was
smiley-wink.gif
), we have just bought our replacement van. It's a Swift Challenger 490 of 1990 vintage and we have only spent 10% of what we sold our Abbey for, so there's plenty of money in the kitty to do the improvements.

As with any 22 year young van there are jobs to do but I don't mind that as I'm still laid up with chronic pain syndrome as they call it now apparently. I can do a couple of hours a day without agrivating the back pain, so that will be both our touring range and my DIY scope for this van.

The big job is to replace the fridge which has been broken for some years, so that will be a day out to our local caravan breaker in Wales. then there is the laminate flooring laid over 2, yep 2 carpets. I first of all thought the floor was delaminated and nearly passed on buying the van. But after taking up a couple of boards by the door and kitchen with loo opposite aera, where the most wear takes place, I found no evidence of spongy floor. The only patch of damp in the van is on the splashback above the kitchen sink, which is an easy repair and I'll upgrade it with a pvc tilled effect panel which will be more durable, after rebuilding the sub-structure.

Looking at the weather we're getting this year it looks like we chose the right year to have a sabatical from caravanning and change back to a cheap and cheerfull van that is much lighter for us to handle. I'm so glad most of the jobs on this van are on the inside.
So far I've got a feeling that this van will weigh in at under £850 including the purchase price when I've reworked it, so that falls well inside my usual budget of £1500 for a van in tip top condition. I have always felt that unless you're actually living in your van, there's no point in spending thousands to have 10 weekends a year away. Our Abbey was the most expensive van we ever bought but it did serve it's purpose very well for 3 years as our home and when we sold it, it still didn't show any significant wear and tear, which to me is a testement to the craftsmen at swift group

We've had a 1982 Swift Dannette before and that was as great van so hopefully our latest Swift product will serve it's time with us and have the same reliability.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
…..welcome back Steve (I haven’t seen you on the forum lately).

Good choice of caravan …...I still have a 1995 Swift Challenger 440SE bought new, which still ticks all my boxes.
It does around 7000 miles and around 75 nights away a year, everything still works well and it owes me nothing.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I wondered where you'd got to Steve.
Best watch that back of yours when you're crawling around the new baby
smiley-wink.gif

So you still have the Jag? How's that going? No gearbox jobs like the previous Rover I hope.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back Steve, nice little project for you there and Im sure its going to give you great pleasure.Im also glad your back so I can pinch all your good ideas .Just take your time and dont get lifting anything too
heavy ,I too am a back sufferer and know what pain it can give .
Sir Roger.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Steve, great to see you back on the forum
smiley-laughing.gif

I hope that you will soon be back to touring after you've brought your new caravan up to scratch.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi Steve,
Glad you are back, we have a 1990 Swift Challenger 490/5SE.
We didnt spend much on ours (although alot of budget was taken up buying all the rest of the equipment, water carriers etc) and agree on spending thousands.
Before we purchased the Swift (our first van) the wife and I would wander round the local dealer 'oooh-ing and aaaahhh-ing' at the very nice new vans, but to be honest, although we wouldnt mind a change in a few years, ours has its own character that i think the wife and I would miss.
Im still impressed that our 22 year old van hasnt fallen apart at the seams given its age. Apart from some slight delamination in the lounge area that I think has been helped by a 3 year old 'bouncing' about we have only had to replace the tyres and do general service items, or items for piece of mind, such as change the regulator. All of which I class as expense I would make on a van a couple of years old... Oh, only other thing is to swap the Bulldog stabiliser for an Alko device so that its compatible with the tow bar when the car from work (eventually) turns up.
Cheers
Rob

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Guys for your kind words.
I've been out of the caravan sceene for a while as we moved into our bungalow and have been busy preparing for our daughter's wedding next month.
Staying true to our philosophy of make, mend and make do, my wife and i together with help from family and friends have practically made everything for her wedding ourselves. Swinbo is a dedicated paper & card crafter and has done all the invites and various leaflets and we have made all the flowers from paper. I've been under strict orders not to sell to sell the jag as Clair want's it for her wedding car (much more reliable, but not as comfortable as the rover was). In the family we have a S type, Stype R, and another X type, so we have a ready made wedding procession. We reckon that so far we have spent under a grand on the wedding excluding church costs. Compared to the national average of around 20K, we are doing it in style and on a cotton string, instead of a shoe string. Clair got a £1200 dress from a charity shop for £75 that was ex disply from a wedding shop that went bust, and has taken it apart and rebuilt it to her design ( I knew that degree in fashion textiles would come in handy). We have even kept our wedding ribbons that adorned a 1965 Jag S type that my late father-in-law used for our wedding car 30 years ago this year.

I've been busy on a 7 week pain management coarse for chronic pain sufferers. It was a lot of "teaching me to suck eggs", but I stuck with it to the bitter end. Their catchword is "pacing" which I have already managed to do as just 3 hours of DIY can lay me up the day after. But as my wife says, I'm a determined, stuburn sod and just simply time myself to 2 1/2 hours instead. I am at the top of the ladder of pill taking and now into micro-managing the amounts I take as the next stage up will stop me driving and at the moment that is about the only thing I can do relatively comfortably.

I've made a list of the jobs on our £600 caravan and for a 22 year old van the list is short. Only 10 jobs to do and just two of them are relatively big. Top of the list is to replace the knackered fridge with a good secondhand one which will cost upto £150, but that is our biggest expense. The removal of the laminate floor and stripping out the two carpets below are the next biggest jobs. Fortunately all of the work is internal, so weather won't be too much of a problem. I've got a list of bits made ready for our day trip to Wales to see our favorite caravan breaker and I reckon that £30 on top of the fridge will see all the bits and bobs bought.

I've already got my number plate made up for us to take a shakedown trip after the wedding as a quiet weekend at Fforestfields will be bliss even with no fridge, as the previous owner threw in a 240/12v cooler box to compensate for the fridge. In fact evrything was included with the van from the barrels to the tea. coffe and sugar tins. My only complaint was that he didn't leave them full
smiley-smile.gif
All we have to do is add clothes, food & drink, and we're off, as the van is usable as is.

So hopefully soon I'll be back to normal rabbiting about all things caravanning and coming up with ways around tasks that less able people (as I term myself) can do to keep on vanning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Welcome back Steve,

I suppose this means I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves again in readiness for the long debates!
smiley-wink.gif

Seriously, I do hope the new regime will keep you fit and well, and most importantly able to caravan to you hearts content.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Even though you'll have to take your time doing the jobs, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and enjoy being back on the open road!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts