Bad people!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
We have night time cameras that are daylight equivalent we picked up that low lives we’re trying car doors
Cameras could clearly pick out faces even at 2am reported to the police and handed them the video evidence…… hey guess what .. nothing ever done ! What a shock ⚡️
Don’t get caught doing 33 in a 30 🤬🤬
The problem is that trying car doors is no offence! Neither is opening an unlocked door and having a look around inside (don't blame me, I am just explaining the law) if they comitted any damage, or stole something then they have committed an offence.
But your "door tryers" did nothing illegal in the eyes of the law, so the police could do nothing about it.

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
The problem is that trying car doors is no offence! Neither is opening an unlocked door and having a look around inside (don't blame me, I am just explaining the law) if they comitted any damage, or stole something then they have committed an offence.
But your "door tryers" did nothing illegal in the eyes of the law, so the police could do nothing about it.
Sorry I forgot to mention the fact they came over my back fence took the snick of my gate and continued through to the front of my property
Sorry for leaving out the non legal part !

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Again, no criminal offence. There is no such thing as "trespass" despite the signs you see threatening prosecution. You might as well threaten someone with prosecution for breathing !

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I understand the point about trying car doors but surely that shows intent and could be prosecuted if you have evidence of enough attempts.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I understand the point about trying car doors but surely that shows intent and could be prosecuted if you have evidence of enough attempts.
They could be trying car doors to see if any could open so that they could advise the owner of the vehicle. Unlikely buy a good excuse. No evidence therefore no crime!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......I was once threatened with arrest by two police officers for opening a car door and pushing a car that was causing an obstruction out of my way.
The drivers door had been left unlocked.
I was trying to gain access to a shop to make a delivery with a truck.
This took place in a privately owned service yard.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
......I was once threatened with arrest by two police officers for opening a car door and pushing a car that was causing an obstruction out of my way.
The drivers door had been left unlocked.
I was trying to gain access to a shop to make a delivery with a truck.
This took place in a privately owned service yard.
However you opened the door so possible criminal offence?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
At #26 Plodd says that’s not an offence but to me it would indicate intent just like carrying burglar tools in your swag bag. 😂
Mr Plodd said trying the doors was not an offence. A stranger opening the door of a vehicle without the permission of the owner could be is an offence as per my earleir post. Not sure why you are nit picking today? :unsure:

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Opening the door of an unattended motor vehicle is NOT any form of offence. I know it seems daft but you will just have to trust me that. I did have a few years where I was involved with the law, so do know what I am talking about.
As for proving criminal intent well without a signed confession that's a non starter.
The law is an ass??

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Opening the door of an unattended motor vehicle is NOT any form of offence. I know it seems daft but you will just have to trust me that. I did have a few years where I was involved with the law, so do know what I am talking about.
As for proving criminal intent well without a signed confession that's a non starter.
The law is an ass??
Okay I am wrong about that, but what if the person opens the car door to push the car to a different location as per an earlier post?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
That could be construed as "Taking a conveyance" which is summarised as........

Taking a conveyance constructed or adapted for the carriage of a person or persons whether by land, water or air. It does not include a conveyance constructed or adapted for use only under the control of a person not carried in or on it. Without the consent of the owner or other lawful authority

This was brought in because to commit theft there has to be an intention to permanently deprive someone, so joyriders couldnt be done for theft because they stated they never had any intention to keep whatever it was they took, just "borrow" it. Theft of petrol was tried, but the little darlings just said that had put some in to replace what they used! , Yes really, on all counts.

As for moving a vehicle causing an obstruction a few yards, I cannot see the CPS authorising such a prosecution.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Okay I am wrong about that, but what if the person opens the car door to push the car to a different location as per an earlier post?
Makes no difference.
Mr Plodd I suspect is recalling The Theft Act 1968 which says
Under Section 1 (1) of the Theft Act 1968 “a person is guilty of theft if they dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another, with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.”
Opening the door and moving the car (obstruction) is not theft and thus I suggest not illegal

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wow no wonder we have theft on a grand scale in the UK. At least in SA they would be arrested and probably taken to court if they were lucky.

The worst part in the UK is if you caught them entering your vehicle and apprehended them, you would get arrested for assault!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Makes no difference.
Mr Plodd I suspect is recalling The Theft Act 1968 which says
Under Section 1 (1) of the Theft Act 1968 “a person is guilty of theft if they dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another, with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.”
Opening the door and moving the car (obstruction) is not theft and thus I suggest not illegal
Interesting - no doubt the defense will use this when the villian is nicked but says he was only borrowing it and was going to bring it back. :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In the local rag this morning thieves burgled a branch of Santander in Malvern. Not sure if ti is the same ones as again they were wearing balaclavas.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
They could be trying car doors to see if any could open so that they could advise the owner of the vehicle. Unlikely buy a good excuse. No evidence therefore no crime!
Sorry but no. Even if the idea was valid ow would hey know who the owner was to advise them. The only conceivable reason for trying doors is theft. Trying one door may not be a crime but when you try multiple times that should suffice. The law is certainly an ass though and seems to be made to suit the criminals and not justice.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
On the question of Door Tryers:
Him ( rattling car door handle): My key isn’t working.
Me ( rolling eyes): That’s not your car.
Mel

• Haha
Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
A colleague at our target shooting club had his Alfa Romeo stolen from his house in Tunbridge Wells notlong back. The tracker told him it was taken to Deptford South East London and parked up. He rang MET police and explained everything but they told him to not travel up there and approach the car as things could become violent, they refused to help. Andy took a train up there and sure enough down a little back street was his car, jumped in and took it home.
Luckily no damage done, but he now has a very dim view of the Police.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Our two Subarus were fitted with Thatcham Cat 1 systems after the importer and franchise owner had received them. As delivered to Britain about all they had was auto lock and deadlocks. But the syten fitted was a Toad one with immobiliser, door, boot bonnet sensors plus internal sensors and a digital keypad to use for configuration of the system and as a starting controller too.
The alarm and locking systems in our Subaru Outback were sensitive to radio-frequency interference - there were two places in Tamworth where I regularly parked when the remote locking wouldn't operate and using the key triggered the alarm

TRENDING THREADS