Bad people!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just being a bit woke to satisfy all. In the next village where daughter and family live, thieves target homes and cars. In the one street, they manage to enter two homes probably while the people were asleep and in the one home they managed to get the car keys and also steal the car. As it is a small village in their infinite wisdom the Highways or council never had street lights installed. Our village does not have street lights either. It seems that these thieves could be targeting rural villages in our county?

The daughter like us has keyless car and keys are kept in RFID pouches. I am wondering if it is still possible for them to gain entry to a keyless vehicle and hot wire it to start? I know I have been watching too many US crime dramas, but keyless cars are fairly new to us. Either way it is to be hoped that the car alarm would alert us if any thief is brazen enough to try stealing the car. However our 1996 Corolla is a standard car, but probably not attractive to thieves.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I don’t know how possible it is in technical terms but my guess is that a determined and tech savvy thief would find a way in, no matter what. However, the keyless system you describe may well be sufficient deterrent so that it easier to move to another car.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It is not just remote villages that thieves target.
But is amazing as to how many people do not protect their property by using simple means. We have automatic dusk to dawn lights around our house three of our neighbours have outside lights but switch them off when they go to bed !!!
Keyless cars I believe can have the system switched OFF, but people don't use that facility, or if the car is left outside, don't use a steering wheel lock. Too much hassle to fit and remove I suppose.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Breaking into many modern cars that rely heavily on connected computer contolled systems is fairly common.

Theives have been known to take of the front panels to gain access to the headlight systems which are all controlled by the Canbus. They then connect some electronics to the Canbus and take over control of the vehicle.

One reason why I wanted a minimalistic car last time around.

I have remote unlocking and even this can be a problem on my part and the poor design of the key fob. If I put the key fob in my pocket I found I could press one of the buttons just by bending over. Potentially I could unlock the car as I walked away. I now have an RFID pouch that the key goes into and then in my pocket.

Cat and mouse game like ever aspect of interconnected technology these days.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It is not just remote villages that thieves target.
But is amazing as to how many people do not protect their property by using simple means. We have automatic dusk to dawn lights around our house three of our neighbours have outside lights but switch them off when they go to bed !!!
Keyless cars I believe can have the system switched OFF, but people don't use that facility, or if the car is left outside, don't use a steering wheel lock. Too much hassle to fit and remove I suppose.
It was the neighbours across the road camera that picked up the figures, but as it was night, probably cannot identify the thieves especially if they wearing balaclavas. It is quite a big rural village, with shop, garage, service station etc, but no lights.

In SA we used a crook lock that connected the steering wheel to the clutch pedal and was very effective. I am considering a Stop lock Pro Elite. My thinking is that if they think they may be able to steal the vehicle, the may cause damage even if they cannot move it however if they see a very obvious deterrent they may move onto a another vehicle.

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
With some Toyota key fobs you can turn off the key, so no RDF signal is transmitted, you just have to remember to turn your key back on when approaching your vehicle, other makes of car may have the same facility, I got this info from the UK based Hilux forum, while my present one still is a key start I use a steering lock as well.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
BIL had his new Skoda Karoq stolen last year. It was a nightmare. Sadly, yes , sadly ,the car was recovered but not before the thieves had tried to remove the oem tracker. It took the Insurers Repairer five months to sort everything out including the bodywork. His keys were in a Faraday box. The thieves broke into the house whilst they were asleep.

Now the car is back he has fitted deep concrete rooted steel posts and a brilliant Ghost Immobiliser
Even with the keys the thieves will,not be able to move the car. They won’t hang around especially as the alarm will trigger.
Sadly car theft is on the rise with thieves targeting certain cars no matter where they are located.
Street lamps won’t help. Most are now being turned off in the early hours to save money

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
BIL had his new Skoda Karoq stolen last year. It was a nightmare. Sadly, yes , sadly ,the car was recovered but not before the thieves had tried to remove the oem tracker. It took the Insurers Repairer five months to sort everything out including the bodywork. His keys were in a Faraday box. The thieves broke into the house whilst they were asleep.

Now the car is back he has fitted deep concrete rooted steel posts and a brilliant Ghost Immobiliser
Even with the keys the thieves will,not be able to move the car. They won’t hang around especially as the alarm will trigger.
Sadly car theft is on the rise with thieves targeting certain cars no matter where they are located.
Street lamps won’t help. Most are now being turned off in the early hours to save money
If theives can steal the front bodywork of cars in a supermarket car park or streets in daylight I’m afraid streetlights may only help the wrong people.

IMG_1173.jpeg

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Apparently the Jeep has an Immobilizer system and even if they gain entry, they still cannot start the engine unless the key fob is available. The concern here is the damage they may cause however if they are professional thieves they should know about the Immobilizer system. There is probably a way that we do not know about where they can bypass everything.

If stolen although you can claim on insurance, but the catch is that on the next vehicle the premiums will be through the roof. Never mind the hassle etc associated with going through the claim process.

We have had 2 vehicles stolen in SA, personal car and a company car, but could not claim on insurance. We only reported the company car as being stolen. It was pointless reporting it to the police as obviously the car was long gone.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If theives can steal the front bodywork of cars in a supermarket car park or streets in daylight I’m afraid streetlights may only help the wrong people.

View attachment 6299
There was a scam going in SA where a breakdown truck would arrive and remove the engine in about 20 minutes. No one took any notice as it was a breakdown truck!

Another scam was that they would steal the car, strip it and then leave just the bodywork where it could be found. Several months later the body would be auctioned off and the thieves would buy it, re-assemble the car and then make the car legit.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Apparently the Jeep has an Immobilizer system and even if they gain entry, they still cannot start the engine unless the key fob is available. The concern here is the damage they may cause however if they are professional thieves they should know about the Immobilizer system. There is probably a way that we do not know about where they can bypass everything.

If stolen although you can claim on insurance, but the catch is that on the next vehicle the premiums will be through the roof. Never mind the hassle etc associated with going through the claim process.

We have had 2 vehicles stolen in SA, personal car and a company car, but could not claim on insurance. We only reported the company car as being stolen. It was pointless reporting it to the police as obviously the car was long gone.
That’s the whole idea. It is nothing to do with the key fob , card or key. The thieves just don’t know it’s there.

Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Years ago my friends mk2 Vauxhall was stolen,found by the bobbies and within minutes before he got to collect it was stolen again, bobbies found it about 15 mins later.We got there to find slight damage to body nothing much so drove it home.To stop any further thefts I removed the steering wheel and replaced it with a spare set of motor bike handlebars sellotaped on the steering column..😁😁I would loved to see the expression of any would be thief

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its a never ending circle, a new super duper security device becomes available, seems to work fine for a few months, then the thieves ( who are often highly organised) work out how to overcome the system, so the cycle needs to start again.

Putting obstacles that slow down the thieves is helpful as it means they might give your property a miss and look elsewhere, but these days many high end cars are stolen to order, or to strip for spares, especially high cost items like DPF's and Catalysts.

Mar 17, 2022
Visit site
Was talking about this the other day. A work colleague told me a neighbour had the Range Rover stolen off the drive. The thieves managed to jam the well known brand of video doorbell (by all accounts it isn't rocket science), rendering it useless (half an hour of footage missing) and then unlocked and started the car (even though the key was in a protective pouch), and away they went.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Our old Mazda MX-5 was a target . Whenever left we simply removed the fuel injector. pump relay. It would take a thief ages to realise that was missing. Ghost immobilisers work on the basis that even with the keys the thief won’t get the car started . However as Clive’s photo shows the thief can still rapidly strip down the bodywork for,spares.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our old Mazda MX-5 was a target . Whenever left we simply removed the fuel injector. pump relay. It would take a thief ages to realise that was missing. Ghost immobilisers work on the basis that even with the keys the thief won’t get the car started . However as Clive’s photo shows the thief can still rapidly strip down the bodywork for,spares.
In my old Mk2 Cortina I used to remove the rotor however as the car had a foreign registration that was also probably a deterrent.

#One night I made the mistake of leaving a school case with a pair of worn out boots in the car. I came to the car and seeing nothing wrong I took it to the fuel station to fill up. The fuel attendant then remarked that the rear window was missing. Looking inside the car there it was complete.

The thieves had cut the rubber around the window and pushed in the window to get something of zero value, but it cost me a couple of bob to get it fixed and then I had to claim off the company as company car and a weekend.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our two Subarus were fitted with Thatcham Cat 1 systems after the importer and franchise owner had received them. As delivered to Britain about all they had was auto lock and deadlocks. But the syten fitted was a Toad one with immobiliser, door, boot bonnet sensors plus internal sensors and a digital keypad to use for configuration of the system and as a starting controller too.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our two Subarus were fitted with Thatcham Cat 1 systems after the importer and franchise owner had received them. As delivered to Britain about all they had was auto lock and deadlocks. But the syten fitted was a Toad one with immobiliser, door, boot bonnet sensors plus internal sensors and a digital keypad to use for configuration of the system and as a starting controller too.
The 2018 Jeep has all those sensors fitted as standard, but not sure about earlier models? I don't think it needs that Ghost immobiliser although the 1996 Corolla may need it as it only has a standard alarm, but the car's value is only about £600 so a bit pointless?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The 2018 Jeep has all those sensors fitted as standard, but not sure about earlier models? I don't think it needs that Ghost immobiliser although the 1996 Corolla may need it as it only has a standard alarm, but the car's value is only about £600 so a bit pointless?
In Japan car theft is a rarity so cars produced their don’t tend to have comprehensive security unless for export to certain markets, but IMG the importer has a recognised secure system fitted here.

Feb 11, 2024
Visit site
We have night time cameras that are daylight equivalent we picked up that low lives we’re trying car doors
Cameras could clearly pick out faces even at 2am reported to the police and handed them the video evidence…… hey guess what .. nothing ever done ! What a shock ⚡️
Don’t get caught doing 33 in a 30 🤬🤬

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have night time cameras that are daylight equivalent we picked up that low lives we’re trying car doors
Cameras could clearly pick out faces even at 2am reported to the police and handed them the video evidence…… hey guess what .. nothing ever done ! What a shock ⚡️
Don’t get caught doing 33 in a 30 🤬🤬
However if they are wearing balaclavas no chance of being recognised.

In Japan car theft is a rarity so cars produced their don’t tend to have comprehensive security unless for export to certain markets, but IMG the importer has a recognised secure system fitted here.
Out Toyota Surf was imported from Japan and an aftermarket alarm needed to be fitted. It was integrated into the key fob.

TRENDING THREADS