Caravan cover insurance renewal

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Just got my renewal invitation from CMC £238.19 Don"t know anyone who has made a claim personally I have never made a claim , do I really need this .
I have paid them a lot over the years and wondering is value for money just knowing if anything happened im covered enough . Your thoughts much apreciated.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Over many years I made two claims. I went too close to an overhanging hedge so had a 8 foot scratch near the top on the nearside.

But the other time was a wheel detachment. After a lot of work. The side wall developed a crease, so a new side was installed. Around £16,000 or more. In 2015.

So for me, the insurance was important for me.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The biggest issue is a third party claim i.e. your caravan catches fire and damages other property or it becomes detached and causes an accident etc. Your choice.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
So car insurance covers when its attached to the tow vehicle but when its not its on you. Seems pretty straightforward. As they say accidents can happen . Although most of mine are from pure dumb luck or self inflicted . May day renewal came through on Friday followed by CMC today car insurance next month. Will have to get that paid then . I wouldn't mind so much if I had been able to get away for a break.

Jun 26, 2022
Visit site
Over many years I made two claims. I went too close to an overhanging hedge so had a 8 foot scratch near the top on the nearside.

But the other time was a wheel detachment. After a lot of work. The side wall developed a crease, so a new side was installed. Around £16,000 or more. In 2015.

So for me, the insurance was important for me.

John
If ever I needed a reason for doing something that would be it, usually I only learn from personal experience but I will let this one sink in.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Your CAMC price is very good . By all means get another quote elsewhere.
I had a claim last year . Brilliant service throughout . Cost £3000.
Buckman’s point about third party cover is very important. Whilst not mandatory it could leave you with a serious financial exposure if something went wrong

Reactions: toad a caravan
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
So car insurance covers when its attached to the tow vehicle but when its not its on you. Seems pretty straightforward. As they say accidents can happen . Although most of mine are from pure dumb luck or self inflicted . May day renewal came through on Friday followed by CMC today car insurance next month. Will have to get that paid then . I wouldn't mind so much if I had been able to get away for a break.
Car insurance only covers it for third party mishaps and not the caravan itself. If the caravan was written off, the car insurance will not pay for the caravan.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
My attitude is .....
If you can afford to replace whatever it is without it causing you financial pain then just maybe insurance isn't necessary, if you cannot then insurance is pretty much essential. To replace my caravan would cost about £15k, and I don't have that sort of money sloshing around, so insurance is a no-brainer.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to disagree with Mr Plodd here as there is more than the value of the caravan to consider. Third party cover is essential, the chances of a claim are very low but would be potentially ruinous if it happened. Buckman has quoted two very serious potential problems and a couple of years back a caravan caught fire at Broadway and wrote off the two motorhomes either side, which potentially could be a claim of over £100k.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just a slight deviation.

In the case of motorhomes, would separate insurances be needed like caravans. Or would the ‘road’ insurance (for want of a better word), cover the motorhome on site or in storage.

John

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just a slight deviation.

In the case of motorhomes, would separate insurances be needed like caravans. Or would the ‘road’ insurance (for want of a better word), cove the motorhome on site or in storage.

John
I would expect one policy covers the motorhome for all aspects of its designed usage.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just a slight deviation.

In the case of motorhomes, would separate insurances be needed like caravans. Or would the ‘road’ insurance (for want of a better word), cover the motorhome on site or in storage.

John
In the case of motorhomes their insurance would pay out and then claim from the culprit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
... do I really need this .
I have paid them a lot over the years and wondering is value for money just knowing if anything happened im covered enough . Your thoughts much appreciated.
There is no legal requirement for you to take out cover for your caravan. As others have said when its coupled to the tow vehicle and on the public roads, your standard car insurance also covers trailers under its third party cover.

But that does mean you are not covered for losses to the caravan or its contents when on the road or when its uncoupled. That is where the cover you have been using from the "CMC" fills in the gaps. And adds third party cover for when you are on site or uncoupled.

Without the CMC cover , you could be held personably liable for any injury or loss involving your caravan when uncoupled anywhere including on site or in storage.

Some storage facilities actually make having third party caravan cover a prerequisite for using the site.

The choice of risk is yours.

Reactions: otherclive
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Motorhome insurance normally combines the normal car type cover with the caravan risks. There is no need for two policies.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Motorhome insurance normally combines the normal car type cover with the caravan risks. There is no need for two policies.
I thought that might have been the case. But when I had my van in storage, there were a few motorhomes there. I imagine insurance to cover such extended storage would need negotiating.

Btw, I was only asking fron curiosity.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts