Bailey California

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Just bought one of these seems OK the only problem appears to be there no warning lights on the fridge to show it is working on 240 volts or 12 volts there is a guage to show it wirks on gas.Anyone else come across this seems strange not to be able to check it is operating on 12 volt when attached to car.The other thing is the manual states that it should not be left on 12 volt operation when car not connected as this will flatten van battery not come across this before.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I do not have a Bailey but my fridge in my Avondale is the same, there is no lights for 240v or 12v, I understand this is quite common on various models. There is no way of telling if it is working when towing apart from if it stays cold! or you can use a electric test meter like I had to when I had a fault with my tow car electrics. The last bit I dont know the answer for your van but as far as my van I tested the voltage when left on 12v with no car connected and there was no voltage at the fridge, I think the habitation relay is for that purpose, Hopefully someone else will give you a better answer on that point.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Mine is same in S6 Indiana,its nearly out of warranty and have thought of fitting a neon on 240 and LED on 12V to show there is power there

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi John Would have replied sooner but we've been away in our California! You're right about the advice in the manual and I thought it was wrong - it is! I deliberately left my fridge on 12v overnight to prove it - no change in battery state. The fridge should only work on 12v when coupled to the car AND the car engine is running.

The California is a great caravan but the manual is lacking in some areas Eg No reference to the fill and run positions on the water pump switch. I found out by filling and watching that the pum cuts out when the on-board tank is full.

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Mike for that info have not actually used the on board tank as cannot work out what advantage it will give me over just running direct from the water barrel .We really like the California as you say the handbook can be a bit vague,We are away to France ist June and am still trying to find out how to change the rear light bulbs should they fail no info in manual

Thanks for your input cheers John

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Hi (again) John - can help you re changing rear light bulbs thanks to a very thorough "handover procedure" given to me by Discover at Delamere and its dead simple!

Use a broad (6 to 8 mm) flat bladed screwdriver, insert just under the bottom lip of the light unit and gently prise its upwards then out. The whole unit (not just the lens) comes out, giving access to the bulb holder.

To replace, hook the upper lip of the unit in place then press in the lower part. Just been out to our California to check the procedure works - and it does!

Mike

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Mike

Thanks so much wish I had such a good handover you have explained a lot will now be able to get into the holiday knowing how to sort most problems

Cheers John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts