bailey pageant series 7 help!

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
Hi brand new to caravaning. First trio out of 3 days and have a few issues. our fridge doesn't appear to be working on anything apart from light comes on. not getting cold at all and was told by previous owner the element had just been replaced!. also the heater this gets hot but the blower motor isn't working, any suggesting for this? I've tried looking through the threads but all seem to be about it not getting hot. ours does but can't hear the fan on at all. Any help would be appreciated as I can't seem to find spare parts either.

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
I should also mention the Heater fan worked well on the second night but third night it didn't. heater works find on gas and electric just the van not coming on.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ahenson1
It would really help to know exactly what model and age the appliances are?
Have you got the instruction books for them?
I presume from the way you have written the question you purchased the caravan second hand from a private seller?
Have you contacted the seller?

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
How are you trying to power the fridge? Gas or electric?
As regards the heater fan I presume you switched it on using the slide switch in front of the speed selector dial? Sliding left puts it on continuous while sliding right is an automated setting for thermostat control. If you slid right it can take a while to kick in.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Ahenson1.
Have you read the owners manual for operating the Truma Ultrastore heater? Same for the Dometic fridge?
When was the caravan last serviced?
Plenty of You Tube videos on how both heater and fridge work. If you are happy you are using the controls correctly we can dig deeper into your faults.

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
Hello Ahenson1
It would really help to know exactly what model and age the appliances are?
Have you got the instruction books for them?
I presume from the way you have written the question you purchased the caravan second hand from a private seller?
Have you contacted the seller?

Hi yes brought it second hand. appreciate its now and older van being 2009. both are original to the van the heater I a trauma heater and the fridge is a dometic. not contacted sellers as I doubt I have any come back as it was a private sale.

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
How are you trying to power the fridge? Gas or electric?
As regards the heater fan I presume you switched it on using the slide switch in front of the speed selector dial? Sliding left puts it on continuous while sliding right is an automated setting for thermostat control. If you slid right it can take a while to kick in.
Hi re the fridge initially on the mains. didn't work for the 3 days we were there. got the van back and hooked up to gas, left for a few hours and nothing, even the dial which indicated the gas is on didn't move but felt pipe etc. from the outside through the 2 vents and they were getting hot.

re the heater I worked fine 1 night the next night nothing and left it on all night as there was heat coming out from the heater, but couldn't get the fan to switch on to go through the vents and in to other parts of the van.

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
Do you know when last the caravan was serviced as they should be serviced annually. What is the year, brand and model of caravan and also what is brand of the appliances mentioned. This information helps us better identify a possible fault.
hi its a bailey pageant series 7 2009
heater is a trauma and the fridge is a dometic. both original from others I've seen. last service was just in Feb 2023 where it was mentioned the fridge element wasn't working, but was replaced. however 3 days on the mains it didn't get cold. put on gas when we got home left for several hours and nothing although the pipes through the vents on the outside did get hot, but the gas flame indicator did not move suggesting it wasn't lit but you could hear it ignite etc.

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Ahenson1.
Have you read the owners manual for operating the Truma Ultrastore heater? Same for the Dometic fridge?
When was the caravan last serviced?
Plenty of You Tube videos on how both heater and fridge work. If you are happy you are using the controls correctly we can dig deeper into your faults.
hi yes definitely gone through the manuals and mainly YouTube which god knows what people did when that wasn't about lol. fridge simply didn't work for the whole trip but the heater did. we are still getting a lot of heat directly from the heater but can't get the fan to kick in which It did on the first day. have looked under the flap behind the heater and no obvious loose wires or pipes that's come disconnected. it's as if the fan simply either has packed up or the switch moving from dan to A (Automatic isn't registering. I should note we left the heater on all night and on the fan setting so if it was a case of leaving it a bit we left it for hours etc. checked all fuses even turned on and off at the breaker etc. but nothing still.

was last serviced in Feb 2023

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
hi its a bailey pageant series 7 2009
heater is a trauma and the fridge is a dometic. both original from others I've seen. last service was just in Feb 2023 where it was mentioned the fridge element wasn't working, but was replaced. however 3 days on the mains it didn't get cold. put on gas when we got home left for several hours and nothing although the pipes through the vents on the outside did get hot, but the gas flame indicator did not move suggesting it wasn't lit but you could hear it ignite etc.
Although you could hear it trying to ignite, were you able to see the flame? Also did you remove the cover off the gas vent which would have been on the outside. If it is not removed the gas will not ignite. I think it would be very unusual for a fridge to fail on both EHU and gas.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
hi yes definitely gone through the manuals and mainly YouTube which god knows what people did when that wasn't about lol. fridge simply didn't work for the whole trip but the heater did. we are still getting a lot of heat directly from the heater but can't get the fan to kick in which It did on the first day. have looked under the flap behind the heater and no obvious loose wires or pipes that's come disconnected. it's as if the fan simply either has packed up or the switch moving from dan to A (Automatic isn't registering. I should note we left the heater on all night and on the fan setting so if it was a case of leaving it a bit we left it for hours etc. checked all fuses even turned on and off at the breaker etc. but nothing still.

was last serviced in Feb 2023
Thanks for all the updates.
Truma Ultraheat.
Sounds like you are getting heat direct from the heater. Does it work on 500, 1000 and 2000 setting.
The fan fails for a number of reasons.
Most commonly the fan gets clogged with fluff and dirt or the actual motor fails. I replaced mine 5 years ago.
The switch on the right controls fan speed, auto or manual. This can fail and are expensive to replace. Have you thoroughly checked the connections, including the small multi pin plug?
You can run the heater using gas at the same time. The heat output will be approximately 4.5 kw. Even without blown air you will not go cold.
I assume the master wall control is set at max 9 inner dial and 2000 outer dial?

Fridge. A mystery🤔
Serviced two months ago and heating element replaced. I wonder if the 230 v mains three pin plug has been unplugged. Usually at the rear or to one side at the back .Check it is plugged in and switched on. The gas burner must be working if the exterior flue pipe is hot.
Before going any further it may be worth speaking to the people who,did the serbpvice and allegedly repaired the fridge?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Although you could hear it trying to ignite, were you able to see the flame? Also did you remove the cover off the gas vent which would have been on the outside. If it is not removed the gas will not ignite. I think it would be very unusual for a fridge to fail on both EHU and gas.
The Dometic fridge does not need the winter covers removing to work. The flue is not actually blocked by the covers. Hence why the fridge will work at temperatures below 8 deg C with covers in place.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Dometic fridge does not need the winter covers removing to work. The flue is not actually blocked by the covers. Hence why the fridge will work at temperatures below 8 deg C with covers in place.
I think it is actually the exhaust that needs the cover removing? The flue should never be blocked. We use winter covers and that is not the issue as still plenty of ventilation.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I think it is actually the exhaust that needs the cover removing? The flue should never be blocked. We use winter covers and that is not the issue as still plenty of ventilation.
Hi Buckman See the pic. The Dometic cover does not obstruct the exhaust which is fully open at all positions

Attachments

• AC2C5401-2C2D-4B24-8745-7CC64BEDDE09.jpeg
    AC2C5401-2C2D-4B24-8745-7CC64BEDDE09.jpeg
    10.4 KB · Views: 3

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Are you thinking of the exhaust cover for the gas heater? That must be removed ( if there is one). Like DD I didn’t think fridges had an exhaust cover?
Mel

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Are you thinking of the exhaust cover for the gas heater? That must be removed ( if there is one). Like DD I didn’t think fridges had an exhaust cover?
Mel
Yep that is the one I was thinking of and sorry for the confusion. 😪

Apr 10, 2023
Visit site
hi all, no winter covers fitted. plug is located under the oven and was plugged in. I will be honest I haven't checked the plug fuse, but as the light is on I assume its working?

re the heater on the first night it worked fine second night it was hot out the heater but blowers wernt working. it was then when we starting fidling with the dials and temp settings etc so in theory to start with nothing changed in the van. Once home we had another go and still nothing. I haven't taken the cover off the front of the heater as of yet but is there away of checking things other then visually before I get someone out as i assume that will run I to the hundreds etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi yes brought it second hand. appreciate its now and older van being 2009. both are original to the van the heater I a trauma heater and the fridge is a dometic. not contacted sellers as I doubt I have any come back as it was a private sale.
Thank you for the response, however you did not tell us the exact model of the heater or the fridge, as some problems may be mosel specific.

My reason for suggesting asking your seller was not to necessarily to ry and raise a complaint, but just for any advice they may have. However if the heating element was replaced only a few months ago, you might learn who replaced it and it might be worth contacting them about the premature failure of their repair.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
hi all, no winter covers fitted. plug is located under the oven and was plugged in. I will be honest I haven't checked the plug fuse, but as the light is on I assume its working?

re the heater on the first night it worked fine second night it was hot out the heater but blowers wernt working. it was then when we starting fidling with the dials and temp settings etc so in theory to start with nothing changed in the van. Once home we had another go and still nothing. I haven't taken the cover off the front of the heater as of yet but is there away of checking things other then visually before I get someone out as i assume that will run I to the hundreds etc.
Contact an AWS technician and ask them to give you a quote for repair which should be less than £100. This will probably be taken off the quote when you get the work done. Doubt if it will run into hundreds, but you can always refuse to go ahead with the work.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site

Fridge control display panels usually run on 12 volts so worth checking the 230V fuse as mentioned as the light being on won’t necessarily indicate a mains fault.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Ahenson1

I had a similar problem with the fan on my Bailey Olympus and it was the 12 volt supply wire into the back of the fan unit which had come adrift. I know you said that you have had the side panel off and it looked as if it is connected but could I suggest that you totally unplug the wire and plug it in again to make sure. Also whilst you have the wire unplugged check with a multimeter that you have 12 volts present. If there is no 12volts check the fuse in the power distribution unit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Contact an AWS technician and ask them to give you a quote for repair which should be less than £100. This will probably be taken off the quote when you get the work done. Doubt if it will run into hundreds, but you can always refuse to go ahead with the work.
I'm sorry but you cannot predict the the charges an AWS or any other professional will make without fully understanding the fault. At this stage its unknown, but an AWS engineer will almost certainly be less expensive than a main dealer for the same work.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I'm sorry but you cannot predict the the charges an AWS or any other professional will make without fully understanding the fault. At this stage its unknown, but an AWS engineer will almost certainly be less expensive than a main dealer for the same work.
I think £100 or less for coming out and giving a quotation is not an unreasonable guess. As for the price of the actual job, then yes that is an unknown quantity

Reactions: GaryB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts