Bailey Pamplona

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Thinking of changing the cartagena 3 for a new pamplona. Has anyone any comments on the pamplona? Bit concerned about the under bed storage which is full with all the essentials on the cartagena (sun beds, chairs etc). If I put this lot in the back will the tail start wagging the dog?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Can't comment on the caravan that you were looking at but under the kids bunk bed at the rear I keep my awning poles , 2 blue sun chairs my barbecue and my bag of awning pegs and no wobble at all on the back of mine , ( and I even have two bikes on the back ) so should be stable. Just try putting some other heavier stuff in the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PaulT said:
Thinking of changing the cartagena 3 for a new pamplona. Has anyone any comments on the pamplona? Bit concerned about the under bed storage which is full with all the essentials on the cartagena (sun beds, chairs etc). If I put this lot in the back will the tail start wagging the dog?

Unfortunately Paul, no one can answer your specific question, it does not simply hinge on how much you load in that locker, which is just one of many factors. But the general advice is to avoid placing large masses at the extemeties of the caravan.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Why not just load some of the kit around the axle or towards the front between the lounge seating noting noseweight limits.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Not possible because I want it stored away not having to move it when I get into the van. Can't help thinking that bailley would have assumed that people would be storing items under the bed and in the wardrobes so it should be OK - shouldn't it???

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
PaulT said:
Not possible because I want it stored away not having to move it when I get into the van. Can't help thinking that bailley would have assumed that people would be storing items under the bed and in the wardrobes so it should be OK - shouldn't it???

Each to their own I guess, but Ive never considered the under bed storage for anything other than light higher volume stuff when travelling. On site lots would go under the bed and we just relocate stuff after arrival on site. I tend to load the van for stability not convenience so admittedly when stopping on route we don't sit down for a formal lunch, but there is enough space to make some sandwiches and a tea and sit down, albeit some things might have to move.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
PaulT said:

Each to their own I guess, but Ive never considered the under bed storage for anything other than light higher volume stuff when travelling. On site lots would go under the bed and we just relocate stuff after arrival on site. I tend to load the van for stability not convenience so admittedly when stopping on route we don't sit down for a formal lunch, but there is enough space to make some sandwiches and a tea and sit down, albeit some things might have to move.
Our unde bed storage is just aft of the twin axles.
I confess there is a lot of weight underneath, .Four comfy chairs, fan, Cadac, bottles of toilet fluid, EHU cable, and Woosie parafanalia. But, I can say with absolute certainty the weight balance and nose load are spot on and the heavy load is as low as possible

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
PaulT said:

Our unde bed storage is just aft of the twin axles.
I confess there is a lot of weight underneath, .Four comfy chairs, fan, Cadac, bottles of toilet fluid, EHU cable, and Woosie parafanalia. But, I can say with absolute certainty the weight balance and nose load are spot on and the heavy load is as low as possible

Yes I should add that ours was single axle with the bed at the rear of rear of the caravan and some way aft of the axle.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our Coachman 560, Island bed, aas mentioned on other threads, we are so close to our Max weight. With cutlery Gas Bottle , motor mover, pots and pans, etc, we have no longer carry anything under the Island bed except the spare wheel and the Levelling ramp. .
Go ahed fill this empty space with Chairs Outside tables , etc, , check your weight, . TOW SAFE, most caravan have a payload of about 150 kg.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
PaulT said:

When we traveled to France a few years ago we had the bikes in the van yet everytime we stopped for a P'stop we just manoeuvred round them for the toilet , it's easy to do just get on with it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
PaulT said:

Hello again Paul.

How a caravan behaves when being towed is dependant on so many factors, it's not possible to be precise with predictions. But how the load is distributed inside a caravan can make a very significant difference. One of the things that always requires careful adjustment is getting the nose load correct, this needs the driver to ensure the caravans load is distributed correctly. But in addition it is widely known that adding mass to the extemeties increases a caravans (or indeed any trailers) tendency towards instability, so these two safety related criteria means that often loads have to be possitioned on the floor rather than in the lockers.

Depending on the layout of the individual caravan, you may be lucky and not need to use the floor, but in reality most follknfind they need to. I think you will find that most manufacturers position storage features more in mind of how the occupants will live, rather than for weight distribution when traveling.

Sorry but that's caravanning.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
Probably should have made it plainer, but the Cartagena has an island bed so the storage is just by the axles. The Pamplona has an end bed so that made me wonder how much I could put under the bed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts