Bailey pegasus ugly

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
I it just me or does anyone else think the bailey pegasus is a bit ugly. I dont understand why they didn't just make it look like a senator.

The front locker just looks gastly, and as for those grab handles with LEDs talk about tacky, dont really see the purpose either. I feel that making the van so ugly has detracted from its excellent build quality and new innovations, but then again if they had made it look like a senator no one would have bought the senator anymore .

anyone got any points on the van?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
we looked at the 2 berth, with that layout we have always had a standard fit front set of drawers, that's charged as an extra!

The leds in the handles are simply bling, i cant see a reason for them, but maybe a place for them inside?

Those corner covers, look like corner covers, a bit DIY for my taste.

On the positive side the gross weight is still about the same as our 2004 senator.

But unless i have misread the information, the payload comes in under 200kg, ours has a total payload of 253kg.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The 624 is the nearest to our Wyoming. At first glance I agree with Ray I will have 20kgs less payload.

My only gripe? Get rid of that black lockerbox. That is real ugly.

As for the rest well it looks ok to me and more importantly 10 out of 10 to Bailey for giving us a 10 year water ingress warranty and a method of construction which moves into a new dimension.

Can someone tell me if ABS panels are used??? LOL

Cheers

Dustydog

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
I think it may grow on you I remember when Ford launched the Sierra it was thought to be ugly but after a while it grew on people and became a top seller this may be the case for the Pegasus.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
catching up on my return from a very wet Scotland I now see the front, rear end panels and roof are one complete structure.No joins! The awning rail is an integral part of the main structure.

Just a thought. Will this cost more to repair following an accident than the current construction methods?

Cheers

Dustydog

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi just had a look at prototype Pegasus at local dealers, Sancerre/California version (534).

Must admit we went there fully expecteing to be underwhelmed and came away convinced when we trade much loved Burgundy(P6)in it'll be for the 524.

Don't see it as ugly ourselves but each to their own, more interested in interior where we'll be and convenience of use.

Lots of little touches that'll be useful when we're away in winter.

Also felt quite a solid van, reminded us of Dethleff we were looking at the other day.

Don't know where it'll fit in the range, we personally don't like the newer P7 and we were leaning towards the Senator Indiana if we stuck with Baileys.

Talking to salesman who recommended you treat it as a Senator when thinking in price terms.

Being as the bling handles only light up when attached to the car, would have thought they give a bit more visibility to the van whilst towing.

As for D.I.Y. parts nearly all the vans we've looked at, look as if the interior doors are chopped off lengths of conti-board then handle fixed on. The only ones we've been impressed with are German, which look as if time has been taken with fittings.

The thing is you can nit pick on any caravan, but overall very impressed, like I say we will be seriously tempted when the time comes to change in.

I did think the front, roof and back were all one piece but after seeing today front and roof are one piece joined to back on top rear as stated previously.

Usually when buying as with cars like to get a feel for living with it , we stepped into a few vans when trading older Bailey in and just didn't get that feel, but with Pegasus got it straight away, always like a good gut feeling.

There you go, as for ugly, I'll go for the ten year warranty, I'm no picture myself so who'm I to judge.

Tomo

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I saw one yesterday and was very impressed

I think that Baileys have done more for the caravanning production industry than they have for individual caravanners. To me if I buy a caravan that has the layout I want, doesn't ever leak or go wrong then the construction is academic.

I actually thought that Baileys would launch it at a higher spec than the Senator to capture previous owners of Bessacarr, Coachman and Fleetwood but I am guessing that this sector is now a shrinking market. It would seem that the Senator may have a limited life span now !

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Bill

I think the Senator may go up market for all that, don't know about you but got more of the feeling that the Pegasus was more like a Pageant inside.

Liked all the standard kit though, Alko secure wheel lock, tracker, shockers fitted and AKS stabilisation.

Inboard tank for winter etc.

Whether in time the prices will come down pro rata I don't know, but if the technology is to be filtered into existing ranges, the only conclusion to me is that Senator goes up market or Pegasus is phased out.

After all it's a prototype model at the moment, bet their order books will be healthy though.

Tomo

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I quite agree,it looks downright ugly at the front end.Where are you supposed to put the water and waste containers?The brown and blue striped material on the seats looks cheap and dated.And why on earth would you want to park your car on top of it!!!! Must be a space saving idea for the driveway.

First impressions.

Cheers Richard

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Richard

Carry our water and wasted containers in the boot with other stuff, it's a lot quicker setting up especially in winter. Can't get then in the Burgundy's front box anyway. As for the upholstery looked a lot better in the cloth than on the pictures we thought. That's why I said we were fully expecting to be underwhelmed. As for ugly we have owned in the past a Fiat Multipla, (one of the most useful cars we've had) nough said.

As for parking on the roof we'd have to have very long ramps, which would block the road, so we wouldn't bother anyway.

There again you could do an oil change through the Heiki.

Tomo.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Richard has a very valid point.

I have always carried the wastemaster and aquaroll handles in the front locker, plus 4 planks for levelling and the awning skirt plastic strips. Everything else will fit in the other two lockers so if I but a Pegasus the abovementioned stuff will have to go under the bed or front seats.

If Bailey were to give exterior "wet locker" access to under the front seats that would solve that minor problem for me.

Otherwise the more I read the more I am impressed with the 21st century design and construction improvement. Most aircraft are bonded!

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
As has been said before need to service every year to keep warranty up,i believe it has been mentioned that the corner clamps need to be tightened up every other year,surely that must mean the walls flex and work loose?

What would happen if that wasnt done every other year?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mikey

Correct me if I'm wrong but ALL the manufacturers demand the caravan is serviced by a recognised approved agency to keep the warranty in force.

Cheers

Dustydog

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Mikey

According to my information the clamps need to be 'checked' after 3 years.

I would imagine all walls flex on any caravan given the pounding they take on the road.

Just as I'd imagine every few years rails have to be resealed.

As for servicing I would think caravans are rapidly going the way of cars with 'full service history' or even better 'full dealer service history' on resales.

With what I hear in the wind as well can see in the not too distant future M.O.T./servicing history for raod legality.

As I've said though go and have a look at it in the flesh so to speak, very impressive.

Tomo

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Think l will wait and see how it goes for a few years to see if any problems need ironing out, interesting that the corner fixings need to be torque every couple of years, bet they are not accessible only to the servicing dealers.

Nigel H

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Where can one be seen? I've tried our local dealer, who sell a lot of Baileys, and they probably won't get one until a day or two before the Caravan Show.

Aug 23, 2006
Visit site
Val

We saw a prototype 534 (Sancerre/California) model, which had kindly been lent to our local dealers North Staffs Caravans for an open weekend.

As they weren't allowed to advertise it, we only knew of it's existence due to having our van serviced.

As I've said we were very impressed, especially as we've seen some pretty ropey demo vans in the past.

We expected the main thrust to be the construction, but we were really impressed with it as just another caravan.

It looks really nicely finished to us, if you can forget the hoo har about the 'revolutionary' construction and the 10 year warranty 'if' and just look at it as another caravan, we'd still be very interested.

That's our take though.

As i said previously the clamping bolts have to be checked/torqued up after 3 years.

I think in retrospect the Senator could be in danger in the future.

Time will tell though of it's constructional longevity, everything has to start somewhere.

In fact just actually had a trade in quote off the dealer.

Again I would really recommend a viewing you'll be very surprised.

Tomo

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
The standard warrranty is 6 years like on other Baileys i think. You have to pay for the other 4 years if you want it.

The bling led lights on the grab handles look dangerous to me. Imagine the dazzle you'll get of those right in your rear view mirrors!!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
"The standard warranty is 6 years like on other Baileys i think. You have to pay for the other 4 years if you want it."

the 4 year extention is free.

When I sold Fords they had a 1 year manufacturers warranty plus a 2 year "optional" dealer warrenty ,free of charge.

There was even a phone number in the handbook to call if you didn't want the extra free two years .

Very strange ;O)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Mikey

We've discussed the servicing thing to death in previous threads.

It's not just the mechanicals but all the habitation stuff eg gas electricity etc. We use ours all year round so I don't begrudge an annual service.Apart from the warranty aspect it gives me peace of mind. I always use Chipping Sodbury who are excellent. I cannot comment on others.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Dustydog i totally agree with you on the service if you use your van all year round,but according Baileys bumf they tested the Pegasus for approx 3 yrs mileage 657 miles coupled with that the average a van gets used 3-4 weeks a year you can understand why people do not bother or moan about having to have it done.

TRENDING THREADS